November conditions

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
michaeltownsendzac85

November conditions

Post by michaeltownsendzac85 »

Hi, am looking at cycling Lands end to John o groats to raise money for an amazing course in time for Christmas, has anyone experienced cycling the route in Beginning of November? Or has any advice for this time of year?
Many thanks
Ron

Re: November conditions

Post by Ron »

Weather could be wonderful (by winter standards) or dreadful, but shorter daylight hours are inevitable.
Sandhouse

Post by Sandhouse »

Start in John O’Groats to maximise the chances of having reasonable weather in Scotland. You’ll also get a bit more daylight earlier in the month.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Yes, I think daylight is going to be a problem at that time of year. It won’t be properly light until 8am and will be dark again at 5pm. That still gives you 9 hours max of riding time, if you don’t want to ride in the dark. Early frost/ice could also be a problem, if we get a cold snap.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

It can be done https://www.cyclesprog.co.uk/blog/when- ... e-to-stay/
I think you need to be a strong cyclist and will definitely need to overcome short dark often damp days. Any sunshine will be short and weak. accommodation might be limited as some close for the winter.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Be flexible. Look out for a week with a decent forecast rather than fixing yourself absolute to a set time- you don’t want to be battling a series of autumn gales. The weather can really make or break a long trip. How many days will you take?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A single post then nothing else for some ten days so perhaps we'll hear no more. I'm bemused about how cycling LEJOG in November might raise £££ for what sounds like personal purposes by late December.

Hats off to contributors so far, who have been universally supportive.
sjs

Post by sjs »

thirdcrank wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 12:41pm A single post then nothing else for some ten days so perhaps we'll hear no more. I'm bemused about how cycling LEJOG in November might raise £££ for what sounds like personal purposes by late December.

Hats off to contributors so far, who have been universally supportive.
Well spending a couple of minutes giving a reply isn't much skin off anyone's nose, is it?
PH

Post by PH »

thirdcrank wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 12:41pm I'm bemused about how cycling LEJOG in November might raise £££ for what sounds like personal purposes by late December.
It could be a typo "Cause" makes more sense than "Course".
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

TrevA wrote: 17 Sep 2022, 4:51pm Yes, I think daylight is going to be a problem at that time of year. It won’t be properly light until 8am and will be dark again at 5pm. That still gives you 9 hours max of riding time, if you don’t want to ride in the dark. Early frost/ice could also be a problem, if we get a cold snap.
I've cycled in Scotland in winter before. What I have noticed is even if it's dark at 5pm, the actual light starts to go at 3pm and you are pretty much in dusk by 4pm. It's similar I'm the mornings, so I would say for safety, and visibility you probably have only about 6hrs cycling time. Which isn't much if you want to put in say 90 miles a day.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Dingdong wrote: 21 Sep 2022, 7:56am
TrevA wrote: 17 Sep 2022, 4:51pm Yes, I think daylight is going to be a problem at that time of year. It won’t be properly light until 8am and will be dark again at 5pm. That still gives you 9 hours max of riding time, if you don’t want to ride in the dark. Early frost/ice could also be a problem, if we get a cold snap.
I've cycled in Scotland in winter before. What I have noticed is even if it's dark at 5pm, the actual light starts to go at 3pm and you are pretty much in dusk by 4pm. It's similar I'm the mornings, so I would say for safety, and visibility you probably have only about 6hrs cycling time. Which isn't much if you want to put in say 90 miles a day.
that is assuming cycling at night is dangerous, on quiet country roads it may well be safer as others will be able to see you sooner and clearer. I love the winters dark nights, looking forward to it. Just love late Autumn

Anyway here is riding in the scottish borders last November

Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Pebble wrote: 21 Sep 2022, 8:13am
Dingdong wrote: 21 Sep 2022, 7:56am
that is assuming cycling at night is dangerous, on quiet country roads it may well be safer as others will be able to see you sooner and clearer. I love the winters dark nights, looking forward to it.

Anyway here is riding in the scottish borders last November

I quite agree, cycling in winter can be really amazing. But doing a point to point route, a large part of which will probably be on main roads, with heavy traffic, which are going to be quite unfamiliar, I still think your window of safety in Scotland in November is 9am-3pm. Especially if there is a group.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Fabulous sunset by the way!
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

wonder how I managed that with different pictures ? something went wrong....

Anyway, yes if using busier roads then I too don't think riding at nights is good - but surely some must do the lejog using quiet country roads and enjoying the ride (can't understand folk riding on fast busy dual carriageways, but we're different in what we like)
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I think Sport Relief did JoGLE in the middle of winter, albeit probably with a back up car and crew. I remember Davina McCall falling off on the ice at night, near the north coast of Scotland.

We tried to avoid main roads on our JOGLE, though it’s difficult on the stretch around Wigan and Warrington.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com