Question about priority at junction

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
tomsumner49

Question about priority at junction

Post by tomsumner49 »

Hi, I regularly pass through the spot on the map here on my bike:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/3a6hmpR2wxHDBozaA

If I'm turning left out of Abbotswood Rd on to Garrads Rd and someone is turning right from Garrads Rd into Woodfield Ave does anyone technically have priority? I'd assume the traffic on the major road, but couldn't find anything in the highway code on such situations.

I'm only really asking out of curiosity as it is never really busy enough to be an issue and I just wait until any turning traffic has gone.

Thanks, Tom
PH

Re: Question about priority at junction

Post by PH »

Unless I've misunderstood, you'd follow the road marking and any signage. From Abbotswood Rd you''d give way because that's what they indicate. If you were already on Garrads Rd, then they shouldn't cross the lane divider unless it's clear to do so.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Right turn off main drag has priority over emerging from side street.

More interestingly ……..

Whether the HC covers it or not I don’t know, but I’d say that a left turn from Abbotswood has priority over a right coming out of Woodfield, because the latter has to cross a lane which the vehicle coming out of Abbotswood would ‘be in possession of’ the moment it emerged onto the main drag, and can ‘claim possession of’ by indicating intention to make the move. In practice, I think I’d try to get eye contact with the other bod, and judge traffic flows in both directions on the main drag though, because there must be a case for a person coming from Abbotswood to cede to the person coming from woodfield if there is a long gap in favour of the former, and only a short one in favour of the latter.
Last edited by Nearholmer on 9 Sep 2022, 3:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

If you look at the streetview
https://goo.gl/maps/dYSgxtorB8jJdDaB8
this is what the person on Garrads Rd turning into Woodfield Rd sees. When you've turned left out Abbotswood, you'll be on Garrads, the main road, and so have priority over someone turning into or out of a side road. Before that, there's no conflict, as the oncoming driver gets to Woodfield before Abbotswood.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I can see what you mean, do you cross the give way line and put the car in the postion of having to give way to oncoming traffic before he turns right, or do you stay put on the grounds that the main road isn't clear of traffic. On the grounds that the oncoming car is from your left, and on the far side of the road, I think you could pull out, but I'd be mindful of trying not to put anyone in the position of having to stop suddenly.
Nearholmer wrote: 9 Sep 2022, 2:49pmI’d say that a left turn from Abbotswood has priority over a right coming out of Woodfield
He's asking about someone going into Woodfield Rd.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

tomsumner49 wrote: 9 Sep 2022, 1:27pm Hi, I regularly pass through the spot on the map here on my bike:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/3a6hmpR2wxHDBozaA

If I'm turning left out of Abbotswood Rd on to Garrads Rd and someone is turning right from Garrads Rd into Woodfield Ave does anyone technically have priority? I'd assume the traffic on the major road, but couldn't find anything in the highway code on such situations.

I'm only really asking out of curiosity as it is never really busy enough to be an issue and I just wait until any turning traffic has gone.

Thanks, Tom
they have priority as they are already on that road (garrads)
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

If I got to the stop line on Abbotsfield road and saw a car coming towards on Garrad's road indicating to turn right then I’d wait until it turned right up Woodfield ave.
I think codes are designed to keep major routes flowing and minor roads being allowed to join when possible.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PH

Post by PH »

Paulatic wrote: 9 Sep 2022, 6:03pm If I got to the stop line
It's Give Way rather than Stop, though I'd agree with the rest.
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

You have to give way to whatever is happening on the road you are joining.
If that is a car turning right then that is what you have to give way to.
tomsumner49

Post by tomsumner49 »

Thanks for all the replies. As I said I do give way to turning cars. On my way home yesterday unusually a bit of a queue of cars waiting to turn right had built up so I was musing on the layout as I waited in the rain for the road to be clear.
Thanks, Tom
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Nearholmer wrote: 9 Sep 2022, 2:49pmRight turn off main drag has priority over emerging from side street.
If it's emerging from the same side street, certainly - but that's not the scenario here.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 9 Sep 2022, 3:03pm Before that, there's no conflict, as the oncoming driver gets to Woodfield before Abbotswood.
Yep. I'd go with that here as well though it's close enough to be a bit iffy.

These situations come down to whether people interpret it as a single 4 arm junction (right turn from major has priority over any conflicting movement from minor) or two adjacent 3 arm junctions. I'd say this is just about the latter case.

I expect I'd deal with this move by first pulling out onto the main road and then proceeding along the main road once clear. I.e. any right turner mid turn obviously continues but waiting ones should not.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop