Proof of ride

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
robinshaw

Proof of ride

Post by robinshaw »

I have downloaded the form to fill in for the cyclinguk badges etc for doing lejog. It asks for evidence. Does anyone know if I can use screenshots of Strava/Garmin records as the evidence.
I did email competitions@cyclinguk.org back in May to ask as that is the email address shown but I have had no response.
It would be so much easier and more accurate that having to get receipts or whatever.

I am actually planning to do le-jog-dover-le (lejogdle)

In the light of no response from the email address, does anyone know if the scheme still exists?
https://shop.cyclinguk.org/end-end-memorabilia refers.
Paulatic

Re: Proof of ride

Post by Paulatic »

It says
*verification will be required - you will need to upload proof of completing the challenge.
I would say screenshots of your Strava/ Garmin activity would be excellent and throw in a picture at the post for good measure.
All they are really concerned with is taking your money. :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Ron

Post by Ron »

Having had no electronic aids other than a basic Avocet, I relied on pen and paper.
I bought a little spiral bound hardback notebook and entered a mileage reading every day, also collected receipts for meals and accommodation along the way and stuck them in the book with a glue stick. I sent it to CTC HQ they accepted that as proof, and sent me a certificate.
LEJOG was an entry point for me into longer distance touring and one of the starting points when preparing for later annual tours was the purchase of a similar notebook. I now have a library of 20 or so of these which revive happy memories of longer tours in more distant places.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Pictures of you and your bike at various points along the journey would also help. That’s what we did (see my blog below).
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
loafer

Post by loafer »

way back in 1995 when i did my first end to end i found it just as easy to call at ATM machines withdraw £10 and just used the receipts :D
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

15 pounds to pay for 'proof of ride' memorabilia?

I wonder why anyone should need a proof to prove you've done something. Does anyone really care - I ask rhetorically?

I suppose if the aim is to raise money for a charity and the givers don't trust the doer just saying they did it, otherwise?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Done JOGLE twice, and LEJOG and Back as well.
I've done it to death, and raised money for charities.
Blogs and notes, and photos and even movies to prove it ............... I know I've done them, and everyone I know as well as the charities know that I've done them.

On my LEJOG and Back trip, I was weighed before I set off, and weighed again when I got back. Three weeks away.
I'd put weight on! :lol:

Mate of mine reckons I cycled away, and then stayed in a pub for the three weeks! :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Don't worry mate of mine thinks I didn't do it because I took two ferries!!!
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Jamesh wrote: 1 Nov 2022, 12:00am Don't worry mate of mine thinks I didn't do it because I took two ferries!!!
Dover to Dover!? :lol:
Ron

Post by Ron »

Tiggertoo wrote: 12 Oct 2022, 3:21pmI wonder why anyone should need a proof to prove you've done something. Does anyone really care - I ask rhetorically?
It's a bit like a holiday souvenir, brings back pleasant memories to the individual, but of little or no interest to others. :)
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Does it matter if a ride cannot be supported by evidence? Who would a rider need to convince?
pwa

Post by pwa »

When I first did Audax rides the organisers were content with things like receipts from shops you used along the way. In the end, if someone really wanted to cheat, they can, but what would be the point? It's just badges, after all. I'd just offer any little titbits of evidence that come to hand, and I'd be surprised if that ain't good enough. If they wanted something I don't have, like Strava, they could keep their badge. Who cares? LEJOG is yours and mine, not the property of a cycling organisation. I suggest just keeping a collection of receipts from shops along the way.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

robinshaw wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 9:36pm I have downloaded the form to fill in for the cyclinguk badges etc for doing lejog. It asks for evidence. Does anyone know if I can use screenshots of Strava/Garmin records as the evidence.
I did email competitions@cyclinguk.org back in May to ask as that is the email address shown but I have had no response.
It would be so much easier and more accurate that having to get receipts or whatever.

I am actually planning to do le-jog-dover-le (lejogdle)

In the light of no response from the email address, does anyone know if the scheme still exists?
https://shop.cyclinguk.org/end-end-memorabilia refers.
That looks to me like a pretty explicit request for info. I hope the OP has eventually received some sort of reply from Cuk
PH

Post by PH »

Ron wrote: 7 Nov 2022, 9:10am
Tiggertoo wrote: 12 Oct 2022, 3:21pmI wonder why anyone should need a proof to prove you've done something. Does anyone really care - I ask rhetorically?
It's a bit like a holiday souvenir, brings back pleasant memories to the individual, but of little or no interest to others. :)
Yes, some people do like such things, me included. It doesn't really matter if anyone else sees them or appreciates them, collecting such souvenirs is part of the experience. If anyone doubts the popularity, just consider those paying for photos with the signposts at either end.
My E2E recording involved a stamp from each nights accommodation, it's not really proof that I rode between them!
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

I've never bothered with proof of rides, as long as I know I've done it, I've done it! :lol: