my plan for end of May

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Garybain37

my plan for end of May

Post by Garybain37 »

Hi all

Could you please peruse my route for the end of May, I intend to ride from Friday evening (10ish) & complete within 7ish days
I’m not sure if I’ll ride to Oakhampton along the A30 (quickness) as the traffic should be light through the night or is the opinion that the road is to risky at any time of the day ?
I think I’ve got up to Bristol sorted either way but it then becomes a bit hit & miss.
I’ve cherry picked from the Wimps ride, this year Audax & recommendation from this site but if you see a better solution I’m up for anything :D
I’m not a scenery rider I’m more get it done type but I hate hills which will be an issue I know !!!! :shock: :shock:
Please feel free to pick at it & I’ll change accordingly :D
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/40836341
Paulatic

Re: my plan for end of May

Post by Paulatic »

If you don’t like hills then you might want to alter your route in Penrith. You’re going straight over Fair Hill on the way out. The name’s a clue :D A pointless hill I did once and have never repeated.
You can stick to the A6 which is a hill but a lot less or turn left at the garages for the cycle route out to Newton Reigny which is no hill but possibly a little longer.
In May you’ll have some headwinds when the hills might become insignificant :lol:
Did you do it in 2016?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Garybain37

Post by Garybain37 »

all changed now out through Newton Reigny no extra distance but 100ft less climbing, result :lol: :lol: :lol:
never done LEJOG but been dithering about it for awhile so doing for my 60th
when's the wind change direction paul :shock:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Usually a wind out the North in April/May and it then returns to prevailing in June. That’s why things dry up in May.
This year it feels like it’s been out of the North for most of the summer.

E2E info
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

If I don’t need the town (Penrith) I don’t go through it. Out of interest what difference does the way I go through make to the route?
751BC4EB-E43D-40DF-921D-F925835F6490.png
Ignore the little sguiggle at 2.6 mls just an error

E2E info
Garybain37

Post by Garybain37 »

same mileage, 140ft less climbing :D
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

That's a lot to digest. I'll leave it for others to comment on the A30, but it wouldn't be my choice much beyond Penzance. Apart from that the bit through Cornwall and Devon looks OK for a 7 day LEJOG.

Rob's Passage from Crediton is a good choice but your route north beyond Thorverton isn't the most direct and there may be less climbing involved if you head further east. Continue on from Thorverton south of Silverton to Hele and join the B 3181. The B3181 follows the M5 and the Culm Valley and is reasonably flat, you can follow it north to pick up the the A38 just beyond Willand. The A38 wouldn't be my choice but many end-to-enders are happy to follow it all the way to Taunton. My preferred option from Willand would be to take the B3440 to Uffculme and follow the back roads to Wellington via Nicholashayne. From Wellington I would head north to Nynehead and join route 3, either to pick up your route at Norton Fitzwarrren or continue all the way into the centre of Taunton.
Garybain37

Post by Garybain37 »

7mls & 470ft saved thank you Norman :D
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

Nice route and much of it is very similar to what we did last year. Two small comments

1. You miss the Meldon Viaduct by a mile or so. It's quite spectacular and will only add 5 minutes.
2. Weird little diversion going through Carnforth where you go on the towpath at Crag Bank. Waste of time, just continue on A6
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Staying at Carnforth there’s a glaring omission :) As you leave Carnforth you need a Trn right into Truckhaven. A great food stop.

E2E info
Garybain37

Post by Garybain37 »

living in Plymouth i've been over the viaduct many a time :D
Carnforth adjusted & i did spot the truckstop :D
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Some further thoughts:

Your route leaves Taunton on the A 3259 and joins the A38 north to Bridgewater. You could instead leave the A38 after about 1km and follow the A361 to Burrowbridge, Otherly and Greinton. Just beyond Greinton turn left at Pedwell and head north across the Somerset Levels to Cheddar via Shapwick, Westhay and Wedmore. At cheddar you can join the Strawberry line* through the Shute Shelve tunnel to Yatton and pick up your route on the Avon Cycleway to Clevedon. I'm not sure if this option saves any miles but it should be more pleasant.

*The surface on the Strawberry line is good apart from a short off road section around the back of Sandford, easily avoided by going through the village.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Take Mick F route out of Cornwall.

Iirc - Penzance st Ives, Hale, Newquay, camel ford and the across Davidstow airfield to Oakhampton.

First night here!

Betty Cottles Inn
01837 55339
https://maps.app.goo.gl/2z1R8p6scTDVK4yj8

8 days ride for me..
Garybain37

Post by Garybain37 »

i've got Mick's Cornwall escape routed but i hope to be well past Okehampton before my 1st stop :D
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

The thing about comparing the many routes from one end to the other is that one tends to become like a kid in a sweet shop: "I'll have that one, no that one, no that one ...."