fix front brake

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rareposter

Re: fix front brake

Post by rareposter »

steverod wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 11:05am Thanks for the links. It is a track bike. There's every chance I'll ride it once and not like the experience so I don"t want to spend much. Saying that, £50 for the appropriate fork sounds a good deal.
There's a bit of a catch-22 with this school of thought.
Build something too shonky and you'll hate it anyway on account of it riding like a bag of spanners. I know plenty of people who've tried to "get into cycling" by buying a £149.99 "full suspension mountain bike" out the back of a catalogue and then wondering why cycling is so awful and it's purely because the bike is absolutely terrible.

Spend just a bit more and do the job properly and you'll have a decent introduction to it; if you really don't like it you'll be able to sell it on ebay for not far off what you paid for it whereas if you try drilling those forks they'll be fit for nothing but the bin.
steverod

Post by steverod »

Is the circled bit the steerer? If so mine is 1" not 1 1/8" . All the ones I see on the net are 1 1/8". Sorry, my mistake. I think I'm finding them now.
Attachments
fork out2.jpg
steverod

Post by steverod »

This looks like a good deal: https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/piton-fork-yellow What other measurements do I need? Thanks.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

steverod wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 11:41am This looks like a good deal: https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/piton-fork-yellow What other measurements do I need? Thanks.
Ooh, that is nice! Good find.
Length of the steerer is the only other info, it obviously needs to be long enough to go through the frame and stick up enough for the stem to clamp onto it.

The listing says that's NOS (New Old Stock) so basically it's never been fitted or trimmed down so I'd guess it'd be fine.
steverod

Post by steverod »

Actually my wheels (I've just looked and measured) are 650. So they're no good? Shame they've offered to reduce the price as there are some paint issues. I've posted a new thread as maybe my forks are 700c?
Last edited by steverod on 16 Sep 2022, 9:43am, edited 1 time in total.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

steverod wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 9:31am Actually my wheels (I've just looked and measured) are 650. So they're no good? Shame they've offered to reduce the price as there are some paint issues.
Is the frame designed for 650c wheels?! Did you buy frame and wheels together or is this a random collection of parts that you're compiling?!

It would be helpful if you could list exactly what you have and if it came as a package or it's a collection of bits which you've bought thinking they'll fit.

And I'd buy the forks anyway, they're nice!
steverod

Post by steverod »

It's the whole bike. A Fort bike with 650c Mavic wheels. I think the forks could be ok. I'll ask them for the total length because the steerer is exactly the right length.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Is it this one?

viewtopic.php?t=152260

£100 from a Charity shop? Parts may not be original.

If we are looking at wheels sizes. Photos would be ideal. I'd expect a track bike to take and be optimised for 700c wheels. But you could probably get away with smaller.

That fork looks like it will extend the wheel base. Offset is it called? Would be a different ride if so.
steverod

Post by steverod »

A pic of the label on both wheels.
Attachments
mavic.jpg
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Save the fuss by fitting a brake made for the purpose Dia Compe BRS101 https://www.hubjub.co.uk/dia-compe-brs1 ... 1321-p.asp
steverod

Post by steverod »

Thanks for that. I'll check it out. Why doesn't someone just sell the clamps?
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Of course if the frameset is designed for 700c wheels (most track bikes) but has smaller wheels, for whatever reason.

Getting a rim brake to fit is not going to be easy. Forks might be to wide for the clamps. Or not enough drop in the caliper.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

steverod wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 10:18am A pic of the label on both wheels.
I don't believe this is anything to do with wheel size.

What sizing is on the tyres which are fitted?
steverod

Post by steverod »

Attached all that's on the tires. The axle to crown is 37.5cm. That would seem to mean it's a 700c fork.
Attachments
fork out3.jpg
tire.jpg
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

650V is the heat treatment of the rim. The tyres are tubular tyres (glued on) with the rim to suit. EMR7 is a Mavic GP4 rim.

Not at all practical (for most people) for daily/domestic use.