fix front brake

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jupestar

Re: fix front brake

Post by Jupestar »

steverod wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 5:59pm I did think of that but I'm not sure going round and round in circles is my thing.
Buy a road legal fixie. With a flip flop hub. I've had them for £50 secondhand..
steverod

Post by steverod »

Intesresting. Didn't know about flip flops.
steverod

Post by steverod »

Thanks for all your help folks. Went to buy a bike for parts and came home with this instead: £350 Problem solved. Anyone want a Fort track bike?

Adult cannondale caad 8 road bike
700c wheels
16 gears 8x2
51cm frame
Promax brakes
Shimano claris gears
110mm fsa front sprocket
Shimano hg rear cassette almost new
Quick release wheels
Schwalbe tyres
Attachments
cannondale.jpg
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

I call troll (and a mate says he's a chimneyless chicken).
steverod

Post by steverod »

Not sure what the above is about. I'm very grateful for all the guidance I've been given and certainly know far more about bikes than I did last week! So thanks again. I'll be looking out for a cheap fork and some flip flops just for the fun of it.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

No idea what that is about.

Nice buy on the Cannondale.

With regards to the Fort. If you sell it. Wheels and frames seperate. you might be surprised. Especially if the tubs are in good condition. 80's hardly used tubs can be in demand. You might get your money back..

I wouldn't try and make a road bike out of it TBH.. so many easier starting points.
steverod

Post by steverod »

Thanks. I may give it a run down the velodrome first.
steverod

Post by steverod »

I'm still interested in this: https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/piton-fork-yellow but my forks are threadless. Any body fit a threaded for threadless? I mean just ignoring the tube has threads?
Trikesnbikes

Post by Trikesnbikes »

I fitted a threadless headset to a threaded fork with no problems so far.
steverod

Post by steverod »

I need to do the reverse. I thought winding the right gauge wire in the thread may help?
slowster

Post by slowster »

The threaded section of a threaded fork steerer is significantly weaker than the plain tube of a threadless steerer. It needs a quill stem inserted to the full depth of the threaded part to have sufficient strength in use. Clamping an ahead stem around a (weaker) threaded steerer tube is also asking for trouble.
steverod

Post by steverod »

Thanks. I won't in that case. I can't help thinking it's 11/8". Surely only vintage ones are 1"? It's a Fort, not very old at all. My measuring of anything is micturate poor.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

steverod wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 9:49pm Thanks. I won't in that case. I can't help thinking it's 11/8". Surely only vintage ones are 1"? It's a Fort, not very old at all. My measuring of anything is micturate poor.

I'd say it's almost certainly 1 1/8. But can't measure a photo....
steverod

Post by steverod »

Thanks. I 'll measure again. I use a micrometer and still manage to get it wrong.
steverod

Post by steverod »

Nope. Definately 1". In fact .999 in some places. There's a sleeve where the handlebars fit on it so I think that says something.