Bike Bought - Thank you

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Re: Bike Bought - Thank you

Post by simonhill »

I don't care rim v disc, I run rims because I like my LHT and don't plan on changing it (actually them). Disc are the modern/current things and obviously have lots of advantages.

However, running a rim till it fails is almost always down to poor maintenance and attention. My rims have a wear marker, which gives plenty of warning. You can ignore for quite a while, but not forever.

If someone ran a tyre till it wore through we wouldn't be saying don't use tyres.

A good quality new rim is only about £30, why skimp. I've just had a new rear wheel because my old was wearing. Long distance bike touring isn't only about pedalling from A to Z, but also managing your gear in a timely manner.

Or go discs and then ignore the wear on your pads.
PH

Post by PH »

rareposter wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 9:30am The shop expressed incredulity that he was on rim brakes with such a laden bike in a long distance tour and then told him.they had no 26" rims in stock, wouldn't be able to get any for 2 weeks and then it'd be another week before they could sort out the actual build.

This wasn't in the UK by the way. But yeah, disc brakes all the way!
What do you think the chances are of the the shop having the Rohloff specific rotor?
Wear ought to be managed, and accidents mitigated, but sometimes damage is inevitable and there's always a possibility that the required parts are not readily available. I doubt I've ever been anywhere in the World where it would take three weeks to get a rim replaced.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Now @BikeBuddha has a bike, the most important question is being ignored.

Where are you heading off to?
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
djb

Post by djb »

Simon and PH, I agree on all your points. I use rim brakes also and keeping them and pads clean, simply wiping off road grit after wet riding, goes a super long way for keeping rims in good shape.
That said, I very much see the advantages of discs

but yes, ignoring your bike bits, no matter the bike bits, is the main reason folks have issues.

The main thing here is that this fellow is at that decision point of getting the frame made, or set up for disc or rim, so in my opinion, its now that it would be prudent to have the bike disc ready, it will cost little to do it now.

and I was serious about him selling the bike down the road if he finds touring isnt his thing and he doesnt keep the bike, let alone perhaps in the future wanting to try discs.
Just makes sense to have the choice and choose the frame/fork options now.

of course, just my opinion.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

PH wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 10:37am
What do you think the chances are of the the shop having the Rohloff specific rotor?
Wear ought to be managed, and accidents mitigated, but sometimes damage is inevitable and there's always a possibility that the required parts are not readily available. I doubt I've ever been anywhere in the World where it would take three weeks to get a rim replaced.
This
BikeBuddha

Post by BikeBuddha »

Hi all

The bike is being built. Custom made frame, with the components chosen with the help of this forum. So, thank you. All your comments and insights helped finalise the bike.

I am having disc brakes, but with Rim brake rims on wheels. The reason, I can try both systems out. While i heal two tennis elbows, I need disc brakes. And if I learn to change over and maintain both systems, I might be of some use to others when out exploring. Also, i can replace one system with another if there is a big problem.

I went with sinewave beacon for a lighting system. Better for backroads. Also, can plug in battery back to power lights.

I am, however, now confronted with a number of decisions:

Should I have a steering stabiliser? Are they any good? Hear the Hebie dont do too well with two legged kick stands. Any Thoughts or experience with steering stabilisers? Which model do you recommend?

Pedals: Shimano M8140 or DMR V12, or, even, the new DMR V12 SE? Any features should i be looking for in a pedal? I'll be wearing hiking boots, maybe? https://www.dmrbikes.com/Catalogue/Comp ... ion/V12-SE

And, of course, colour. I think i'll go with dusk blue. But maybe pink? What do you think?

I hope you are all well and will post a picture of bike, if ever i learn how to do it. Do you need to link to an image on the net?

Best wishes.

And thanks again.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

BikeBuddha wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 9:24pm ...
I hope you are all well and will post a picture of bike, if ever i learn how to do it. Do you need to link to an image on the net?
You can upload to this site or link to images on a service such as Dropbox. Which would you prefer?

Thanks

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

Steering stabiliser! I've been cycling nearly 60 years and still had to google that one. It seems to be something for people who have heavily loaded forks and suffer from the front wheel trying to flip when parked up. I've never had an issue with that, using low lying front panniers, but then I have never bothered with a stand either. Panniers (front and rear) provide good padding to lean against a wall or fence. There is always something to lean a pannier on. Isn't there a danger of just trying to get too many features on one bike? After all, you do have to push every extra gram up every hill. Here is a bike resting one rear pannier against a tree, but perfectly stable.
Attachments
SAM_0820.JPG
Last edited by pwa on 2 Oct 2022, 10:10pm, edited 5 times in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Not pink. Sombre is good
PH

Post by PH »

BikeBuddha wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 9:24pm I went with sinewave beacon for a lighting system. Better for backroads. Also, can plug in battery back to power lights.
Great light for the off road purpose it's designed for, pretty poor light for anything else and of course not EU legal. If i was spending £400 on lighting (Plus the hub) I think I could do better.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

I applaud the research you've done and understand the anxiety of getting the right components.
I too, was mixed on brakes. Mind you, I will never do a world tour, but it's easy to find yourself in a position where brakes need a major repair. With the experience I've had with hydraulic disc brakes, I would not want them on a tour taking me to parts unknown.
With rim brakes, I can do any maintenance/repair with my eyes closed. With hydraulic brakes, I've had mixed results. Not to mention the availability of parts. Mind you, I am self taught in disc brake know-how.
If I had to go disc, I would go mechanical. Additionally, disc mounting should not require specialized tools. Along with having the most common brake system for parts availability
Let us know when you depart
Cheers
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
pwa

Post by pwa »

The key thing now is to learn how to do the small maintenance and repair jobs you might have to do when you aren't close to a bike shop. Brakes, obviously, gear adjustments, and changing spokes. You need spares for those jobs, which are all small, lightweight and easy to carry. The more confident you are with fixing things, the more you will enjoy the bike.
BikeBuddha

Post by BikeBuddha »

PH wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 10:34pm
BikeBuddha wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 9:24pm I went with sinewave beacon for a lighting system. Better for backroads. Also, can plug in battery back to power lights.
Great light for the off road purpose it's designed for, pretty poor light for anything else and of course not EU legal. If i was spending £400 on lighting (Plus the hub) I think I could do better.
Better how? Looked at Edelux 2, but, beam too narrow.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Jdsk wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 9:50pm
BikeBuddha wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 9:24pm ...
You can upload to this site or link to images on a service such as Dropbox. Which would you prefer?

Thanks

Jonathan
Upload to site, i reckon. But i will also look at drop box.

MarcusT wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 5:30am If I had to go disc, I would go mechanical. Additionally, disc mounting should not require specialized tools. Along with having the most common brake system for parts availability
@ MarcusT: Going mechanical disc. Would do Rim, but my forearms are knackered at moment.
So, going to have both sets. £400 on Disc brake version, effectively. All because of dodgy forearms.

The other bonus is that i can swop over the two systems and test them. This will allow better bike maintenance knowledge, to help myself and others on the journey.

simonhill wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 10:17am
A good quality new rim is only about £30, why skimp. I've just had a new rear wheel because my old was wearing. Long distance bike touring isn't only about pedalling from A to Z, but also managing your gear in a timely manner.
As for rim wearing, I have Andra 40s to carry a 180 kg max. Don't expect to, but with 26 inch wheels and rohloff hub, super strong and i think rims will last with rim brakes a long time.

Finally, it wasn't a steer dampining system, but a Steerstopper I am having fitted. I will let you know how I get on with it.

https://steerstopper.com/
Last edited by BikeBuddha on 4 Oct 2022, 11:49am, edited 5 times in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

For uploading:

Attachments... Add files... upload from your local machine... Place inline.

Let us know if you get stuck.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

For linking to images on a remote server:

Get the URL of the image. NOT the URL of the album or gallery page that contains all of the navigation elements. (This is the tricky bit.)

Paste that URL in the Reply box.

Select that pasted URL and click the image button in the row of tools:
Screenshot 2022-10-04 at 08.54.19.png
Screenshot 2022-10-04 at 08.54.19.png (2.89 KiB) Viewed 339 times
Jonathan