Hot water bottle?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Hot water bottle?

Post by Sweep »

As the seasons turn, was wondering if anyone ever used one for camps in the depths of winter?

haven't used one since my northern childhood but occurred to me might be handy.
Obvs would have to have a good dependable stopper like the ones did when I was young.

am sure some folks do "hacks" with metal drinks bottles etc, but I wouldn't trust the stoppers - not what they are made for.

I found this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175383418368 ... 95734#rwid

which looks like the design of old.

1 litre which is more water than i would usually have spare at the end of the day but could always source some water before nightfall and put it in a wateer bladder for a few miles.
Sweep
rualexander

Re: Hot water bottle?

Post by rualexander »

Sigg in a sock is a tried and tested method.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

rualexander wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 8:09pm Sigg in a sock is a tried and tested method.
a, see above ru - afraid I wouldn't trust.
i remember those old hot water bottle stoppers - very secure
Sweep
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

Need to make sure you can use the water for breakfast cuppa......so traditional rubber hot water bottle is US.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Sweep wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 8:18pm
rualexander wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 8:09pm Sigg in a sock is a tried and tested method.
a, see above ru - afraid I wouldn't trust.
i remember those old hot water bottle stoppers - very secure
A Sigg bottle with a normal top, not the cycling drinking top, is perfectly secure, as good as any hot water bottle top, and it won't burst during the night as a rubber HWB can.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Sigg bottle top is pretty much totally reliable. The whole bottle construction is designed as a no-onsense container to keep petrol or similar completely secure in a pack.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

Greenham women used whiskey bottles a lot - don't know whether it was the screw-top blends or the corked single malts.
JRS1950

Post by JRS1950 »

I have two water bottles. Both are new not used (yet). Both were gifts.
They are miniature sized standard home use water bottles complete with covers. Cost? No idea because after all, they were gifts.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

A conventional hwb is heavy and bulky, and single purpose. There are numerous water pouches which will take boiling water, eg https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/sof ... osure-cap/
These are light, pack up small (roll up when empty), and are comfier in the sleeping bag than a hard metal bottle.
But a Sigg or similar bottle is also a perfectly good solution.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

We use, for my wife, a cheap and cheerful alloy drinking bottle. Never had any problems with leaks. Use the water for the first cup of tea in the morning :D
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 2:08pm A conventional hwb is heavy and bulky, and single purpose. There are numerous water pouches which will take boiling water, eg https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/sof ... osure-cap/
These are light, pack up small (roll up when empty), and are comfier in the sleeping bag than a hard metal bottle.
Platypus bottles don't like boiling water.
They can delaminate and eventually leak if filled with boiling water.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

In the long term, that's also true of a conventional rubber hwb. It's just a question of how long it takes and how easy it is to spot before delamination or abrasion becomes an actual leak. IMO with an actual domestic hwb it's not always possible to spot before it happens! It may well be that Platypus, being such light material, are more susceptible to delamination than some other brands – I'm pretty sure they'll all say they should not be used with boiling water.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

pjclinch wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 3:38pm Sigg bottle top is pretty much totally reliable. The whole bottle construction is designed as a no-onsense container to keep petrol or similar completely secure in a pack.
mm
had three small sigg water bottles, one of which may have been ideal.
but gave them all away on here.
(all 3 were also given to me on here originally)
maybe should have kept one :)
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

rualexander wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 10:18pm
Bmblbzzz wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 2:08pm A conventional hwb is heavy and bulky, and single purpose. There are numerous water pouches which will take boiling water, eg https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/sof ... osure-cap/
Platypus bottles don't like boiling water.
They can delaminate and eventually leak if filled with boiling water.
yep, I wouldn't trust one for that.
am thinking it probably simpler to just invest in a good winter sleeping bag, no matter how bulky, as per my other thread start.
Sweep
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Insulation is not quite the same as heating. The best bag in the world still takes time to warm up from your body, and if you're cold when you get in, that can take all night. Having a pre-warmed bag skips that stage.