Sporty flat bar road bike mudguard suggestions?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Slothman

Sporty flat bar road bike mudguard suggestions?

Post by Slothman »

I need some suggestions for a set (or buy seperately providing they kind of match) of mudguards/boards.
The bike is a 2022 Giant Fastroad Advanced 1.

I don't want a traditional type set up and don't want a nice new sporty looking machine to look like a shopping or commuting bike.
I'd like something sleek, sporty and not too bulky, like so many MTB guards seems to be.
I'd like something that isn't just a cheap piece of plastic origami, so either carbon or decent plastic that I don't have to fold into shape.
I'd like the rear guard to be seat post mounted (not sticking out from the seat or fixed to the rear forks, and to be fairly short/stubby, but not too wide (disproportionate to the 32mm tyres/ 700c wheels) and not a long awkward looking thing.
I'd like the front guard to be mounted under the down tube, not onto the fork. Again not too wide for the wheels/tyres (remember this is not a MTB but a flat bar road/hybrid bike)

I've looked online but everything is either too crappy, too wide, too long, wrong type/fitting or combinations of all of them.
Am I looking for a uniciorn? surely not!
Any suggestions?
Paulkentuk

Re: Sporty flat bar road bike mudguard suggestions?

Post by Paulkentuk »

... if you know someone with a 3d printer, might be worth considering this avenue :-
https://m.yeggi.com/q/mudguard/
Slothman

Post by Slothman »

Paulkentuk wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 3:48pm ... if you know someone with a 3d printer, might be worth considering this avenue :-
https://m.yeggi.com/q/mudguard/
Thanks but I don't. Interesting though.
tomsumner49

Post by tomsumner49 »

I think the Zefal swan/croozer set fits your mounting requirements. The rear may be too long for what you are looking for though. Only £10.99 here https://www.merlincycles.com/zefal-swan ... 97165.html
Slothman

Post by Slothman »

tomsumner49 wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 4:22pm I think the Zefal swan/croozer set fits your mounting requirements. The rear may be too long for what you are looking for though. Only £10.99 here https://www.merlincycles.com/zefal-swan ... 97165.html
Thanks, yes I have seen that one but you are correct, too long for what I'm after. They are all too looooooong.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Slothman

Post by Slothman »

tatanab wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 5:06pm How about https://bankruptbikeparts.co.uk/product ... oke-colour
If they are too long, you can always go the "classic" route https://www.cycleking.co.uk/mudguards/m ... gKmB_D_BwE
Thanks but I'm not interested in any 'classic' type or full sets.
I'm only paying lip service to rain really, if I can't find any that don't look <i>[inappropriate word removed]</i>, or make my bike look like a shopping bike, then I'll not bother at all TBH.
Slothman

Post by Slothman »

Question, could the Giant D Fuse seat post cause problems for a seat post fixing?
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Slothman wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 3:36pm
I don't want a traditional type set up and don't want a nice new sporty looking machine to look like a shopping or commuting bike.
Yeah, because who wants to fit something to their bike that actually is proven to be effective and works...
PH

Post by PH »

Slothman wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 5:12pm I'm only paying lip service to rain really, if I can't find any that don't look <i>[inappropriate word removed]</i>, or make my bike look like a shopping bike, then I'll not bother at all TBH.
I wouldn't bother. Lip service won't keep the rain off, wear your mucky stripe with pride, or fit full guards.
it's hard to imagine how anything fitted to a seatpost isn't going to look worse than some well fitted guards, it's going to stick out rather than follow the curve of the wheel. I've got nothing against shopping bikes, but neither do I get the connection between that and guards, does this look like a shopping bike?
PDW.jpg
Not my bike, image from a review of PDW guards
https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/3626/por ... rds-review
Slothman

Post by Slothman »

cycle tramp wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 7:57pm
Slothman wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 3:36pm
Yeah, because who wants to fit something to their bike that actually is proven to be effective and works...
Not me, no sir 😉
Slothman

Post by Slothman »

PH wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 8:15pm
Slothman wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 5:12pm I'm only paying lip service to rain really, if I can't find any that don't look <i>[inappropriate word removed]</i>, or make my bike look like a shopping bike, then I'll not bother at all TBH.
I wouldn't bother. Lip service won't keep the rain off, wear your mucky stripe with pride, or fit full guards.
it's hard to imagine how anything fitted to a seatpost isn't going to look worse than some well fitted guards, it's going to stick out rather than follow the curve of the wheel. I've got nothing against shopping bikes, but neither do I get the connection between that and guards, does this look like a shopping bike?

PDW.jpg

Not my bike, image from a review of PDW guards
https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/3626/por ... rds-review
We’ll….no offence intended but…to me yes it does, it’s more those awful wire bracket thingies holding them on, just ruins the nice lines of an otherwise lovely bike.
Not for me I’m afraid. 👎
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

In all honesty... I can see where you're coming from. The rest of the bike has been designed or sculpted, and then you have these bright wire lines...
...woukd you feel any better if the mudguard mounts were painted black so they sort of got lost against the dark tyres, wheel rims and spokes?
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

They are all too looooooong.
Take a junior hacksaw to them then.
freiston

Post by freiston »

You're obviously contemplating fitting mudguards for their function and not because you think they look good - but it seems that anything that will function well will not live up to your "sporty looking" requirement because of the way they look.

"Sporty looking" is in the eye of the beholder. If I wanted a road bike that looks sporty, I would have gone for drop bars (personally, I would not be bothered whether a bike looks sporty or not). I think that an audax bike with full guards looks sporty. I can understand the attraction in wanting something to look sporty (whatever one thinks that means) but functional mudguards do look like functional mudguards - they come in different styles but if they're going to do the job, they need to properly cover a good section of the tyre and they need to be secured to the bike. They will look like mudguards because they are mudguards.

Either get a proper pair of mudguards that will do the job, don't get any mudguards and let the dirt and the wet muck you and the bike up or just don't use your bike in the wet.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)