Thermometer for handlebars

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Rob D

Thermometer for handlebars

Post by Rob D »

Hi. My old computer, Bontrager Trip 200, died on long trip in northern Norway. It had a very accurate thermometer, which I found very useful, especially when nearing freezing. Its replacement, bought on the trip, does not, and I cannot find any that have one.
So, does anyone know of a simple thermometer to mount on the bars?
Thanks, Rob
Paulatic

Re: Thermometer for handlebars

Post by Paulatic »

Lezyne computers have a built in thermometer.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Garmins have a thermometer.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

eileithyia wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 7:38pm Garmins have a thermometer.
I wasn't aware that mine does, I'll have to investigate, although I can tell if I am cold, warm or hot without a thermometer.

[Edit]
I think that should be "some Garmins do". There is no sign of mine having one https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/611996#specs
Richard M
Cardiff
Andy Stow

Post by Andy Stow »

Paulatic wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 4:25pm Lezyne computers have a built in thermometer.
The one in my Lezyne Mini GPS is useless. It registers over 37 °C on a 30 °C day if I've left it on the bike out in the sun. It then takes at least ten minutes to get anywhere close to the correct temperature once I'm moving, and is still biased a couple of degrees high when I'm not in the shade.

In winter, it takes at least ten or fifteen minutes to get to below 0 °C from my garage temperature, or my house temperature if I've had it charging inside.

Funny that burying an thermistor inside a piece of black plastic isn't a great design for an air temperature thermometer.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Andy Stow wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 8:29pm
Paulatic wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 4:25pm Lezyne computers have a built in thermometer.
The one in my Lezyne Mini GPS is useless. It registers over 37 °C on a 30 °C day if I've left it on the bike out in the sun. It then takes at least ten minutes to get anywhere close to the correct temperature once I'm moving, and is still biased a couple of degrees high when I'm not in the shade.

In winter, it takes at least ten or fifteen minutes to get to below 0 °C from my garage temperature, or my house temperature if I've had it charging inside.

Funny that burying an thermistor inside a piece of black plastic isn't a great design for an air temperature thermometer.
I found temperature on my old Super gps like yours inaccurate. I find the current one Y12 Mega XL a lot better. It lives permanently outdoors though as I’ve electric in my bike shed.
Red line temp
Red line temp
My last rides shows a variation of 4F on the day. The drop shown in the middle is in a forest up a hill and under constant tree cover.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Digital is the way to go with thermometers.

The problem with analogue dials, is the the range is usually way too wide. Car speedometers for instance.
30mph is about an inch off zero, and the dial goes right up to 140mph when the car couldn't manage 90!

Why have a thermometer that starts (for instance) at zero degC and goes up to 100degC ?
Minus ten to plus 40 would do on a bike, and the dial divisions could be read easily.
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

I fail to see how a thermometer on the bars could possibly be accurate. It would be exposed to sunlight, wind and rain, all of which could significantly distort the readings.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

pwa wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 9:57am I fail to see how a thermometer on the bars could possibly be accurate. It would be exposed to sunlight, wind and rain, all of which could significantly distort the readings.
Thus giving you a "feels like when riding" figure, rather than a still air figure.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have a Garmin Tempe under my saddle pouch.
Usually reads the temperature "as it is" as it's under and in the wind.

Profiles for instance from the last couple of rides.
Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 15.42.31.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 15.41.53.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

How does the wind affect the temperature reading of a thermometer?

Thanks

Jonathan
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 3:46pm How does the wind affect the temperature reading of a thermometer?

Thanks

Jonathan
In normal dry conditions, wind won't affect the reading by much.
If it is wet as well as windy, then evaporation from the wet surface will cool the thermometer, depending on the wind speed . This is like the "feels like" temperature you yourself feel when it's raining.
If the sun is shining (and it's not wet), any device mounted in the sun will over-read, by maybe10 degrees or more. But if it's windy as well as sunny, the over-reading will be less because the wind will counteract the heat absorption from the sun's energy. That's easy to demonstrate - just look at the temperature while you're riding on a sunny calm day (when you're making your own breeze) then stop for 20 minutes and look at the temperature again - it's sure to be higher because of less wind.

So, to conclude - if it's wet, wind will make the thermometer under-read - but reflect what you feel yourself.
If it's in the sun, wind will also make it read lower, but actually make it more accurate!
Chris F, Cornwall