Third Party Liability Insurance

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
PeterJ

Third Party Liability Insurance

Post by PeterJ »

I appreciate that this is a bit of a cheeky question, so please feel free to delete if this post is inappropriate.

My Cycling UK membership costs £48. I don't take the magazine. I've only maintained my membership because of the 3rd party liability cover.

Can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative? I'm not covered by any other of my insurance policies (eg home).

Thank you.
boblo

Re: Third Party Liability Insurance

Post by boblo »

Check the CUK Affiliate rate/benefits. It's a lot cheaper and, IIRC, includes 3rd party insurance. Please confirm tho...
PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

boblo wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 7:47am Check the CUK Affiliate rate/benefits. It's a lot cheaper and, IIRC, includes 3rd party insurance. Please confirm tho...
Thank you, I wasn't aware of that. It knocks the price down to £33.
PM999

Post by PM999 »

We use Laka

https://laka.co/gb/club

£1 per month p.p. covers you on any bike you own (inc. legal e bikes).

£2 million public liability, £150 excess for property damage claims, zero excess for injury claims. You also get legal services cover - Laka's lawyers will pursue 3rd parties for claims you may bring, with a few exceptions.

Untested so far in terms of claiming (& I hope it stays that way .....)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Check your home insurance. Mine covers 3rd {arty Liability whilst I'm out cycling. It's not an add-on, I don't pay extra for it; it's part of the standard policy (so debatably free).

Ian
PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

PM999 wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 8:22am We use Laka

https://laka.co/gb/club

£1 per month p.p. covers you on any bike you own (inc. legal e bikes).

£2 million public liability, £150 excess for property damage claims, zero excess for injury claims. You also get legal services cover - Laka's lawyers will pursue 3rd parties for claims you may bring, with a few exceptions.

Untested so far in terms of claiming (& I hope it stays that way .....)
Thank you. I did notice that site, and it seems like an excellent deal. I guess I'm a bit hesitant because I've never heard of them......
PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Psamathe wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 8:31am Check your home insurance. Mine covers 3rd {arty Liability whilst I'm out cycling. It's not an add-on, I don't pay extra for it; it's part of the standard policy (so debatably free).

Ian
Thank you. My home policy doesn't cover me unfortunately.
PH

Post by PH »

PeterJ wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 8:31am I guess I'm a bit hesitant because I've never heard of them......
Had you ever heard of Butterworth Spengler, Cycling UK's insurance provider?
Laka will be regulated by whoever the appropriate body are, a little digging will find they're underwritten (Or the excess is, it's a complicated business model) by the Zurich Insurance group, who you may have heard of.
I'm a member of Cycling UK because I broadly support the aims of the organisation. If you're only interested in the direct benefit it's always been poor value.
PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

PH wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 9:40am
PeterJ wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 8:31am I guess I'm a bit hesitant because I've never heard of them......
Had you ever heard of Butterworth Spengler, Cycling UK's insurance provider?
Laka will be regulated by whoever the appropriate body are, a little digging will find they're underwritten (Or the excess is, it's a complicated business model) by the Zurich Insurance group, who you may have heard of.
Fair point. I've now done a bit of digging, having been burnt before by an outfit with a very slick website but little substance behind it.

The insurance side of Laka seems good, the legal side awful. For a quid a month the third party liability seems like a good deal.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"..where else for decent cycling insurance":
viewtopic.php?t=150314

Previous mentions of Laka:
search.php?keywords=laka

Jonathan
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

To the OP.

BEFORE you buy any nice cheap cycle insurance (or any other insurance for that matter) make a short list of companies and then ring each individual company and see how long it takes to talk to an actual person. If you struggle before you've paid OR had an accident then I'm guessing it's going to be even harder afterwards.

If you're happy with only being able to contact them by email or 'live chat' then fair enough, but I'm not. Amazon yes, insurance no.

I once had a stressful hour trying to speak to someone at Direct Line Insurance and their company emblem is a little telephone.... :roll:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

PeterJ wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 8:52am
Psamathe wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 8:31am Check your home insurance. Mine covers 3rd {arty Liability whilst I'm out cycling. It's not an add-on, I don't pay extra for it; it's part of the standard policy (so debatably free).

Ian
Are you sure ??? It is usually in the general liabilities section for the occupier and their family. It won't mention bicycles, but will exclude things like motor vehicles, power boats, etc.. Unless bicycles are excluded, you are very likely covered.

- Nigel
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

If you're happy with only being able to contact them by email or 'live chat' then fair enough, but I'm not. Amazon yes, insurance no.
Buried deep in Amazon's many help screens is the offer of a phone call - you can call them or ask them to call you. I have used this and was very impressed by the way that they solved my problem with a purchase.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Tiberius wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 3:18pm
I once had a stressful hour trying to speak to someone at Direct Line Insurance and their company emblem is a little telephone.... :roll:
Getting past the bot can be frustrating with DL but on reaching the 'send email' they rang me. Sorted the problem, sent me some money, and even rang a couple of days later to ensure I’d received the money. For me it was a better experience than my previous insurer hanging on to music interrupted with 'how important my call was' for an eternity.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Nigel wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 6:39pm
PeterJ wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 8:52am

Ian
Are you sure ??? It is usually in the general liabilities section for the occupier and their family. It won't mention bicycles, but will exclude things like motor vehicles, power boats, etc.. Unless bicycles are excluded, you are very likely covered.

- Nigel
Ah. I've just had a look at the policy wording and you and Psamathe were right. There is a whole section called 'Personal Liability' which covers

'Liabilities arising from you occupying your
home and your personal liabilities as a private
individual in and away from your home.
We will pay up to £2,000,000 to cover your legal
liability for damages you have to pay if someone
makes a claim against you during the period of
insurance for:
> accidental death or illness of, or bodily injury
to, any person
> accidental loss of or damage to property'

Sounds like that's all I need in terms of cover.

Thank you for pushing me to double check this.