Rigid fork options for hybrid

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Matt B

Rigid fork options for hybrid

Post by Matt B »

I've been given a bike in need of a fairly thorough overhaul (a Giant Roam from ca. 2010):
IMG_20220824_115012 (2).jpg
It has a heavy and non-functioning suspension fork (a Suntour NEX 4610 V4) and I am looking for rigid fork options to replace it.

The vital statistics:
  • Wheel size: 700C
  • Crown-axle length: approx. 450 mm
  • Brake mount: IS disc
  • Steerer: 1 1/8", at least 190 mm length
Any ideas/advice on inexpensive options? There are some high-end carbon options out there, and many cheap 'unknown quantities' on eBay. Something in between would be great!
PH

Re: Rigid fork options for hybrid

Post by PH »

You also need to know the offset, I think it's likely to be 45mm but best to find that out or measure.
If so, there's a Surly Ogre fork which s probably a close match, 447mm A to C and 43mm offset. Not as cheap as they used to be and probably not that huge a weight saving either. If you follow that up, make sure you're looking at the right version, I'm pretty sure there's more than one, the bike changed over the years.
jois

Post by jois »

Matt B wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 2:40pm I've been given a bike in need of a fairly thorough overhaul (a Giant Roam from ca. 2010):
IMG_20220824_115012 (2).jpg
It has a heavy and non-functioning suspension fork (a Suntour NEX 4610 V4) and I am looking for rigid fork options to replace it.

The vital statistics:
  • Wheel size: 700C
  • Crown-axle length: approx. 450 mm
  • Brake mount: IS disc
  • Steerer: 1 1/8", at least 190 mm length
Any ideas/advice on inexpensive options? There are some high-end carbon options out there, and many cheap 'unknown quantities' on eBay. Something in between would be great!
How cheap is cheap. I wouldnt buy a cheap carbon fork, exotic carbon will do you a good carbon fork for 150 quid or an alli version for a 100. If it's steel your after I wouldn't think twice about sticking any of the 30 quid forks available at Amazon on it. Unless you are thinking of putting a100lbs of weight on it and going across the Andes. In which case I might push the boat out a bit. eBay I avoid as they could be anywhere in the world and somewhat transients in nature.

I'd also consider buying a half decent suspension fork for it. 150 quid will get you quite a reasonable fork a 100 something really good second hand some times a lot less if your lucky
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Try Planet X. Equally Aliexpress. Cheap Chinese forks will be fine although you'll get a headache from all those telling you that you'll die. Not that they have any experience of that4 :roll: :lol: