Cycling benchmark?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Psamathe

Re: Cycling benchmark?

Post by Psamathe »

rmaxted wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 12:08am Rather than distance try benchmarks based in time. Out for an hour, continuous on the bike for 45 minutes. Its not better but a bit different and I find that it helpd me for those longer days out knowing I can do an hour and bit of continuous peddling before I get all stiff.
Or benchmark improvement. If OP is a training oriented then chose some measure (av. speed?) and look to improvement over time. If OP is more recreational/touring oriented maybe improvement in average ride distance per week/month. e.g. last month managed average this month managed 6 miles per day - improvment.

Ian
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Nearholmer wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 7:36pm
Pick a mate and try to beat him
That made me chuckle, because it’s such a great example of the “some people are competitive” point I made earlier.
Seems a bit harsh (giving him a beating).
reminds me of the old one........ I'll hold the post in place, you use the hammer, and when I nod my head ... hit it!
willcee

Post by willcee »

In the last 25 years I've had many many conversations with lots of people from teenagers to sixties who were getting started back in cycling ,some for exercise, some because there was across the UK a cycling revival, some because of herd instinct, like their 'mates' were all doing it and they hadn't the self confidence to stand apart, my advice was little and often and forget about speed... just pedal in the easiest gear until neither ass or legs objects too loudly and that cycle fitness comes slowly to the stage where you can do 20 / 30 /40 miles without feeling that you'd done a few rounds with a heavyweight fighter, and dependant on original fitness could take 3 to 6 months and for some never...not what they all wanted to hear.
.My cycling companion with whom i have ridden for 20 odd years we're now in out early 70's and running E power, ran into a local cycle club springtime last year in a cycle cafe, studying our machines when we arrived from the safety of tables , one of them knowing me , had been a customer, theres the cheaters now boys, referring to the power, yes, thats right boys says Davy, my chum and i'll bet my pension money that none of youse lot will be cycling at our age!! there wasn't a peep out of one, the leader walked over to me and says , just a bit of craic, sir, thats a nice bike, where did you buy that?? thats built not bought man, I build my rides...don't you??w
dmrcycle

Post by dmrcycle »

A lot will depend on your bike and your fitness and therefore your average speed and also how hilly/windy it is where you live. But if you have a good bike and are going quite fast but not flat out you can average 15mph over several hours. Less effort on a slower bike say around 10-12 mph or if you take it easy. If you can cycle for a morning from say 9-12 with a few breaks and a coffee stop its easy to clock up 20-30 miles. Most people I know who are active enough to have a bike can manage that distance no problem.
Grldtnr

Post by Grldtnr »

In my opinion, it's an attitude of mind, we live too sedentary a lifestyle, modern life has made mankind a lazy sod, me included!
But I still will walk to the shops or just ride ,coz I can, it isn't all about the bike ,but the journey and how you got there..
I have been that mile muncher, but it's not for me now, I am happy to potter about on a bike ,when the fancy takes me, but I do need to increase my daily time on the bike, especially if I get the fancy just to ride into the sunset, somewhere over the rainbow.

Never mind benchmarks, a positive attitude will serve far better(
A laid back, low down, layabout recumbent triker!
Grldtnr

Post by Grldtnr »

It does help not being burdened by having to work, I'm done with that too!
drossall

Post by drossall »

Actually work helped me. Commuting has long been a significant part of my mileage. When I left a role that was 5.5 miles each way and switched to one in London, my commuting mileage halved. Now I only go in once a week, albeit to somewhere that requires riding a bit further across London from the station, and it's really low.
Grldtnr

Post by Grldtnr »

As a former cycling postie, I had all the smiley mileys I ever wanted, including getting to work at stupid o'clock in the morning.
Then I would get up and go out on a Sunday with the local CTC section, on a bike 7 days a week !
Perhaps that's why I am not too blethered about it now.
And yet be I still enjoy the song of the bicycle , be even if it's on my the recumbent trike as is.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Benchmarks are pretty much useless. I'm with Eddy merckx on this one: it doesn't matter how far it how hard your cycle, as long as you go out there and cycle!
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

I'm paraphrasing of course!
Attachments
1557810-Eddy-Merckx-Quote-Ride-as-much-or-as-little-or-as-long-or-as-short.jpg
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Still knocking them in at 77 years young!
Attachments
ec77c63aa77276e7178681e0612fb399.jpg