Recommendations for good winter cycling gloves?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
iandusud

Re: Recommendations for good winter cycling gloves?

Post by iandusud »

Paulatic wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 2:06pm
iandusud wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 1:32pm
Paulatic wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 8:03am I find these really warm and perfect for cycling
3B54CEC6-46C4-4FD3-BA6B-987CD7E75BD9.jpeg
I presume these aren't waterproof, in which case do you combine them with a waterproof over-glove?
I’m in a position I don’t go out into hours of rain. I have been caught out in maybe an hour of rain and they are surprisingly good at turning water. Also being wool if wet they are still warm.
I suspect a pair of nitrile disposable on top might last all day
Thank you. I'm a big fan of wool for warmth. I'm not sure about getting nitrile gloves over them - I have enough trouble getting even the largest nitrile gloves on in the first place :lol: I did wonder about natural water repellence. Also I wonder if they could be treated to help water repellence.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

iandusud wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 3:23pm
Thank you. I'm a big fan of wool for warmth. I'm not sure about getting nitrile gloves over them - I have enough trouble getting even the largest nitrile gloves on in the first place :lol: I did wonder about natural water repellence. Also I wonder if they could be treated to help water repellence.
There’s definitely natural water repellency in them as with other boiled wool things like coats. I’ve only experienced short 20 min of rain using them and probably up to an hour of damp drizzle. Neither insurance making me feel as if I was wearing wet gloves.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Paulatic wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 3:32pm
iandusud wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 3:23pm
There’s definitely natural water repellency in them as with other boiled wool things like coats. I’ve only experienced short 20 min of rain using them and probably up to an hour of damp drizzle. Neither insurance making me feel as if I was wearing wet gloves.
Thank you. I think I'll give them a go. They'll be ideal for commuting and local journeys which are never longer than 30 minutes.
GrahamJ

Post by GrahamJ »

I have a pair of North face Windstopper gloves, which are OK, and a pair of Ronhill Winter Mitts made for runners, which I much prefer. They are warmer, and it's easier to fiddle with zips and things in the mittens.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Pogies (bar mitts) for the flat-bar bike, definitely. Not sure they're going to work so well for the drop bars.

The cold, dry air will dry your skin out, so maybe stash a little tube of skin cream in them too!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Also think about your eyes; clear glasses to stop them drying out and/or streaming with water in the cold. Personally, I also found a buff or similar around the chin a great help. Some like to cover their mouth and/or nose but I find this ends up with a damp cloth on your face. Not good!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 8:37am Are you planning on cycling through the winter?

For short trips in winter (Norway), I use ski gloves. Longer trips, I need mittens &/or bar mitts.
I use Decathlon ski mittens in the Norfolk winter (we have a direct oversea wind route from the arctic... brrr!). I have lever shifters on my most-used bikes (rather than triggers or brifters) which I think helps.

I have to wear liner gloves under wool due to skin problems, which then means they're as warm as ski mittens so doesn't really help for autumn/spring!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

mjr wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 1:16pm
Vorpal wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 8:37am Are you planning on cycling through the winter?

For short trips in winter (Norway), I use ski gloves. Longer trips, I need mittens &/or bar mitts.
I use Decathlon ski mittens in the Norfolk winter (we have a direct oversea wind route from the arctic... brrr!). I have lever shifters on my most-used bikes (rather than triggers or brifters) which I think helps.

I have to wear liner gloves under wool due to skin problems, which then means they're as warm as ski mittens so doesn't really help for autumn/spring!
I'm curious as to how lever shifters help (do you mean like thumb shifters or old skool downtube shifters?)

I'm aware when riding on the hoods in winter that there's a lump of cold metal under my hands, so can see the difference there; but you don't have to ride on the hoods just cos you have integrated shifters (and can of course ride on the hoods with any drop bar brakes). And I don't see nor have I experienced the problem with trigger shifters.

As an aside, I'm curious where twist grip shifters would rate in your winter hierarchy!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 2:06pm
mjr wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 1:16pm I use Decathlon ski mittens[...]
I'm curious as to how lever shifters help (do you mean like thumb shifters or old skool downtube shifters?)
I found that ski mittens — and ski gloves before them — had a tendency to get pinched in the gap between lever and housing on Shimano-style trigger shifters and brifters, leading to holes well before the rest of the glove wears out. I have a thumb shifter (Shimano SL-MY21), downtube shifters (Shimano Arabesque and SunRace Power) and SA 3-speed triggers, which do not have that flaw.
I'm aware when riding on the hoods in winter that there's a lump of cold metal under my hands, so can see the difference there; but you don't have to ride on the hoods just cos you have integrated shifters (and can of course ride on the hoods with any drop bar brakes). And I don't see nor have I experienced the problem with trigger shifters.
I know what you mean and that's another good point. I have nice thick cork grips on my most-used bike, thick rubber on the bike which usually has the studded tyres mounted. The road bike only has cork tape but doesn't get ridden much when it's properly cold because I feel inch-wide slick tyres aren't enough when there's not much grip.
As an aside, I'm curious where twist grip shifters would rate in your winter hierarchy!
I had a Shimano Revoshift for a while and it was fine. I didn't really like them for other reasons, including not being able to tell which gear is selected by touch. I don't know why they didn't use a raised pointer instead of a flat number in a window.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

mjr wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 2:52pm
Bmblbzzz wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 2:06pm
mjr wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 1:16pm I use Decathlon ski mittens[...]
I found that ski mittens — and ski gloves before them — had a tendency to get pinched in the gap between lever and housing on Shimano-style trigger shifters and brifters, leading to holes well before the rest of the glove wears out. I have a thumb shifter (Shimano SL-MY21), downtube shifters (Shimano Arabesque and SunRace Power) and SA 3-speed triggers, which do not have that flaw.
Interesting, that's a possibility that hadn't occurred to me. For the last few years I've only had bikes with drop bars and integrated shifters (I'd like a bike with approximately North Road style bars and probably hub gears, mostly for town use, but for various reasons it can't happen yet) and that's never happened to me, despite using Buffalo mittens last winter. Or thinking a bit more, it probably has happened once or twice but I've learnt to adjust my shifting style (eg by using a different finger).
Ginge_126

Post by Ginge_126 »

These work well, I started using them for work through the winter, but ended up wearing them on the bike.
Breath well, not waterproof, but they hold off a good downpour, warm when wet and a decent but of cushion and wind resistance. Cheap.

https://www.workgloves.co.uk/skytec-arg ... loves.html
Clipper_2018

Post by Clipper_2018 »

Anyone remember the "Mitt Kit" by TOR Outdoor Pursuits?

What I paid in 1988:
  • Pattern £0.70
  • Exeat shell material £2.80
  • Super Polar lining £1.80
I have made some ten pairs over years. Fun to do and very practical mitts.

Can't beat the satisfaction of having made something yourself.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

My preference is for thin, 100% wool black gloves. The same as burglars use! They heat up very quickly and dry very quickly if they do get wet.
GideonReade

Post by GideonReade »

These:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/fingerles ... mc=8492024

They're neoprene, so warm when wet. I've never met gloves that really stay dry in real rain. And fingerless with covers, so can go on over cold wet weak hands. And pop tops so can fiddle with things without removal. Used them a few winters now, design has changed a little judging from the pic. £20.

However, I've only used them with BES (whole palm used) or flat bar Rapidfires (thumb used). This winter with brifters may challenge dexterity.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

GideonReade wrote: 3 Dec 2022, 9:57am
They're neoprene, so warm when wet. I've never met gloves that really stay dry in real rain.

Marigolds do - large size thin wool gloves underneath.
I have got a pair of Sealskinz - I wouldn't accuse them of being warm though.