Road Rubbish 2022 Style

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
simonhill

Road Rubbish 2022 Style

Post by simonhill »

I'm sure we are now all familiar with the little silver nitrous oxide canisters that litter certain areas. I've recently seen a couple of new additions.

Now, it seems that people are buying large blue catering cannisters of nitrous oxide. At first I thought they were gas for some sort of burner and blamed road workers. Closer examination revealed their true nature. When empty they are discarded roadside. I can often see half a dozen on a country ride.

The other rubbish that I see are small coloured plastic tubes about 10 CMS (4") long. Usually red, blue or green. These are something to do with vaping.

Obviously people don't want to take home and put in their family rubbish, so just lobbed out of car window.

A colourful addition to the old drinks cans, bottles and fag packets that litter our countryside.
rjb

Re: Road Rubbish 2022 Style

Post by rjb »

simonhill wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 10:24am

The other rubbish that I see are small coloured plastic tubes about 10 CMS (4") long. Usually red, blue or green. These are something to do with vaping.

Are those the vaping batteries. Big Clive collects them to make rechargeable lion battery packs. Could be handy for bike lights.
I've not seen any down here in Somerset. Perhaps vaping is not as common here. I'm still looking. :wink:
The only rubbish I see is either mud dragged out from fields onto the road or the sloppage from the muck spreaders. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

simonhill wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 10:24am I'm sure we are now all familiar with the little silver nitrous oxide canisters that litter certain areas. I've recently seen a couple of new additions.

Now, it seems that people are buying large blue catering cannisters of nitrous oxide. At first I thought they were gas for some sort of burner and blamed road workers. Closer examination revealed their true nature. When empty they are discarded roadside. I can often see half a dozen on a country ride.

Obviously people don't want to take home and put in their family rubbish, so just lobbed out of car window.

A colourful addition to the old drinks cans, bottles and fag packets that litter our countryside.
I was wondering what it was that I saw by the side of the road when I was cycling home just now.
Richard M
Cardiff
Tim Holman

Post by Tim Holman »

Nitrous oxide? What's that for? Round here it's cans from Redbull left by ?tractor drivers way after sensible knocking off time. And all the usual sweetie and fag and covid stuff,
Tim
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tim Holman wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 3:05pm Nitrous oxide? What's that for?
Is this rhetorical... ?

Thanks

Jonathan
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I haven't seen these catering size nitrous cans but it's worth pointing out that theoretically the little silver cannisters are also sold for catering (use in whipped cream).

The Victorians have a reputation for prudishness and euphemisms but they were at least straightforward about their drugs.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 3:15pm ...
The Victorians have a reputation for prudishness and euphemisms but they were at least straightforward about their drugs.
And we'd be a lot better off if we determined our policies by emphasising reduction of harm than accidents of geography and history!

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Tim Holman wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 3:05pm Nitrous oxide? What's that for? Round here it's cans from Redbull left by ?tractor drivers way after sensible knocking off time. And all the usual sweetie and fag and covid stuff,
Tim
We get the Red Bull cans plus polystyrene burger packaging. For some reason Planners have permitted a articulated lorry cleaning depot in the middle of open countryside/farmland on totally inappropriate roads and most of the Red Bull/burger packaging is on the approach/departure for the depot as the drivers "clean out" they cabs shortly before arrival. One Sunday afternoon I did a litter pick on the 1 mile away up to the depot and by Monday afternoon loads of litter again.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

In addition to the really bad spot, from my many other litter picking walks there have been some interesting patterns e.g.:
Outside local primary schools (in two separate villages) it's wet wipes.
One road frequented by chain gang(s) it's the energy sachets things.
Some other roads seem to be the "troubled" by chocolate milk drinks/chocolate bar wrappers.

There are very definite and repeating patterns which makes me wonder if some of it is a few offenders discarding litter very frequently.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I counted 28 Stella cans between Tamar Gate Bend and the top of the short cut on the A390 when out riding on Friday.
This isn't including the Coke, Red Bull, Kronenburg, Heineken, and other cans.
Stella seems to be quite popular with the car-driving litter louts, and it's quite noticeable.
All on the left going up the hill.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.52682 ... 384!8i8192
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Psamathe wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 3:52pm
There are very definite and repeating patterns which makes me wonder if some of it is a few offenders discarding litter very frequently.

Ian
I think you might be right there. A friend and I pick up litter in our village and the approach roads. Red bull tins are the most numerous and we always attributed them to a van delivery driver. When Covid struck the red bull tins stopped but the delivery drivers didn’t.
Crisp packets always appear after the school run and McDees litter is always found on a morning dropped the evening before has to be locals on their way home to outlying homes.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
freiston

Post by freiston »

Mick F wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 5:22pm I counted 28 Stella cans between Tamar Gate Bend and the top of the short cut on the A390 when out riding on Friday.
This isn't including the Coke, Red Bull, Kronenburg, Heineken, and other cans.
Stella seems to be quite popular with the car-driving litter louts, and it's quite noticeable.
All on the left going up the hill.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.52682 ... 384!8i8192
From Google Street View, that looks like an awful road for cycling - is it?
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

On my frequent return tips to England I am regularly disappointed at the quantity of rubbish discarded along roads and outside fish and chip shops. When did Brits become so dirty? It wasn't like that when I was a lad in Norwich.

Over here, in the country it is mostly rednecks who throw out empty beer cans and in the towns it is minorities who like to toss their fast food empties out of their cars in white neighbourhoods.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Nitrous oxide? What's that for?
Are you having a laugh? :)
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Nitrous oxide? What's that for?
Jonathan will help me out here with the mechanism (I hope), but it's used for its recreational effects on the brain. It has short-lasting effects which is why you'll see little piles of the cylinders. Either that or there's an awful lot of whipped cream being made in laybys
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~