B&M Linetec does it work?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
LancsGirl

Re: B&M Linetec does it work?

Post by LancsGirl »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 2:03pm
drossall wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 1:30pm Surely you can really only judge distance if you know the size of the object at which you are looking? Although anything is probably better than an almost-point source.
freiston wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 1:48pm Depth (distance) perception is a lot more involved than just size comparison, with several cues/processes contributing to the bigger picture. I dare say that there are challenges to depth perception of a single point light source in the dark that a "banded" source would alleviate too. I suspect that our ability to process small and subtle changes/cues could be under-estimated too.
It sure is. Most analyses of perception now emphasise how the mind generates and tests hypotheses about the perceived world rather than using purely optical methods.

"What could that object be?" "But it isn't moving like that, it must be a... " etc

Jonathan
Probably most people have seen this. It's about perception. But if you haven't, watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo
Last edited by LancsGirl on 26 Sep 2022, 11:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
freiston

Post by freiston »

LancsGirl wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 7:54pm Probably most people have seen this. It's about perception. But if you haven't, watch it.

Link working now, ta :D
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

LancsGirl wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 7:51pm It's time to have regulations that make sense, which are known, and which are enforced.
Steady on! We can't be having radical ideas like that!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

LancsGirl wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 7:54pm
drossall wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 1:30pm Surely you can really only judge distance if you know the size of the object at which you are looking? Although anything is probably better than an almost-point source.
freiston wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 1:48pm Depth (distance) perception is a lot more involved than just size comparison, with several cues/processes contributing to the bigger picture. I dare say that there are challenges to depth perception of a single point light source in the dark that a "banded" source would alleviate too. I suspect that our ability to process small and subtle changes/cues could be under-estimated too.
It sure is. Most analyses of perception now emphasise how the mind generates and tests hypotheses about the perceived world rather than using purely optical methods.

"What could that object be?" "But it isn't moving like that, it must be a... " etc
Probably most people have seen this. It's about perception. But if you haven't, watch it.

I haven't looked yet... but I'm guessing that a basketball is involved...

Jonathan
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It's a versatile video because it can demonstrate either that you're so focused on the task that you fail to notice otherwise remarkable events, or that you're so easily distracted by background events that you fail to complete the task.
LancsGirl

Post by LancsGirl »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 11:01am
LancsGirl wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 7:51pm It's time to have regulations that make sense, which are known, and which are enforced.
Steady on! We can't be having radical ideas like that!
Sorry. Yes, you're right, it's just crazy talk, isn't it?
LancsGirl

Post by LancsGirl »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 11:41am
LancsGirl wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 7:54pm

I haven't looked yet... but I'm guessing that a basketball is involved...

Jonathan
Yes, basketball themed.

The interesting thing is, the first time I saw it I didn't notice the other thing. Now, even if I'm doing what the video asks you to do, I do always notice the other thing. So there's something interesting going on there. I can't make myself "unsee".
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Isn't it wonderful?

And an excellent *use of analogy as a means of making us think differently. Remembering the ******* is important in so many situations.

Jonathan

* And quite different from the use of analogy as whataboutery.