Geographic adjectivals

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
horizon

Geographic adjectivals

Post by horizon »

Does anyone happen to know when geographic adjectivals ceased to be used? Both the Guardian and the BBC have broadly stopped using them (I'm not sure about other publications/media). Also does anyone know why and by whom it was decided?

Reading the Guardian now makes one feel one is reading through the homework of an eight-year-old. What's going on?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Jdsk

Re: Geographic adjectivals

Post by Jdsk »

What are they, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

horizon wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 11:42am Does anyone happen to know when geographic adjectivals ceased to be used? Both the Guardian and the BBC have broadly stopped using them

Reading the Guardian now makes one feel one is reading through the homework of an eight-year-old. What's going on?
The Gruniad has always employed eight-year old journalists - hence their wayward spelling.

Geographic adjectivals ? Please explain
seph

Post by seph »

Geographic adjectival,
Such as Afghans for the people of Afghanistan? Hadn’t noticed they were not being used in the Guardian , ( though I don’t read it much..)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... nd_nations
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

I believe Malta complained about them
LancsGirl

Post by LancsGirl »

wirral_cyclist wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 12:29pm I believe Malta complained about them
Excellent.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

wirral_cyclist wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 12:29pm I believe Malta complained about them
they should be more worried at the vast amounts of migrating birds they shoot for fun.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... pshooters/
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

horizon wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 11:42am Does anyone happen to know when geographic adjectivals ceased to be used? Both the Guardian and the BBC have broadly stopped using them (I'm not sure about other publications/media). Also does anyone know why and by whom it was decided?
seph wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 12:17pm Geographic adjectival,
Such as Afghans for the people of Afghanistan? Hadn’t noticed they were not being used in the Guardian , ( though I don’t read it much..)

Is this what you were talking about, Horizon? AKA demonyms?

I hadn't noticed they were no longer being used by the Guardian, but publications will change their style guides from time to time. Have you noticed which other publications are or are not using them?

I can think of a possible reason to avoid them. It might not always be clear whether "Afghans" refers to Afghan citizens wherever they are, anyone in Afghanistan, Afghan citizens in Afghanistan, anyone worldwide who considers they have Afghan heritage... Usually, though, it should be clear from context.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

As a daily reader of "the Graun" I must rise to its defence. Their staff keep high standards these days, and they even know what an Oxford comma is (I know, cheap joke. I'm sorry...). The exception is in their live reporting, where typos are quite common - perhaps understandable as a) they're in a rush and b) probably trying to type on a device like a tablet, or even worse, a phone. See example below, where quote is opened with a double and ended with a single, etc.
Here's a link to their in-house style guide.
screenshot of 'live update'
screenshot of 'live update'
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

ps, I have no idea what a geographic adjectival is! Keen to learn, mind :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Egypt - Egyptian
England - English
Russia - Russian
Sweden - Swede
Ireland - Irish
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 2:39pm Egypt - Egyptian
England - English
Russia - Russian
Sweden - Swede
Ireland - Irish
One of those is a noun...

Jonathan
Will

Post by Will »

Are we still allowed to refer to an English bottom bracket?

Will
freiston

Post by freiston »

I'm struggling with the term "geographic adjectivals" too. I've considered terms such as Western Somalia, the East Bank, Eastern European immigrants, American pancakes, Dunkirk spirit, and I haven't identified anything that I would deem to be a "geographic adjectival" that has patently ceased to be used in recent (living) memory.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
horizon

Post by horizon »

simonineaston wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 2:27pm ps, I have no idea what a geographic adjectival is! Keen to learn, mind :-)

It's just the adjectival form of the geographic name (usually of a country), so Wales/Welsh for example. It isn't though a demonym which refers to how we call the people of a country, such as Germany/the Germans.

It isn't always obvious but should be to the Guardian and readers thereof: our French correspondent needn't imply that the Guardian's correspondent in Paris is him- or herself French. Just because we might call the English football team English doesn't mean that we have to find an adjective for the Gas Works team.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher