Marketing "Science"

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Marketing "Science"

Post by Tangled Metal »

A curious moment after watching a Dyson advert i googled digital motor. It appears to be classic Dyson marketing where they imply novelty whilst using existing technology. That got me thinking of the victorian cyclonic technology that got used n in the m first dyson vacuums under a "patent pending" tag that would never become a full patent.

There's classic makeup companies using made up or misspelt chemicals to sell the m idea their face cream can turn back the tides of time.

Then outdoor companies claiming their membrane fabric will keep you dry like they make sweat simply disappear in high humidity rain. Cue nice sketches on labels for coats using the new wonder fabric version.

Anyone got more? Do you have a pet marketing or pseudo science hate? Do you have examples that you can enlighten us with? Perhaps even the CUK community has been fooled by marketing science.

PS Dyson digital motors use neodymium magnets and pulses of electricity to turn the rotors at high RPMs. These are controlled by electronic circuitry but it's basically brushless motors given a marketing name. I heard they're too be found in every desktop and most laptops and many other uses too. Not novel and nobody but Dyson use the term hence marketing tag.
Jdsk

Re: Marketing "Science"

Post by Jdsk »

Tangled Metal wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 1:47pm ...
There's classic makeup companies using made up or misspelt chemicals to sell the m idea their face cream can turn back the tides of time.
Don't get me started!

And dietary health supplements.

I'm currently running just below 50% in adjudication of my complaints to the ASA. But I'm sure that their decision making will improve over time. ; - )

Jonathan
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

If you want to know how long a history all this sort of BS has, read two books:

1) Any really clear-eyed biography of Thomas Edison; and,

2) ‘Tono-Bungay’ by H G Wells, pub c1908, in which one of the several themes is a bemoaning of the way in which business exploits and distorts science, the main theme being how pseudo-scientific quackery can be used to delude the population at large out of money (there are other themes too, but those will do for now).
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Hah, Edison! Great inventor or great exploiter? Let's re-write the facts to great American inventor. Dyson had a role model and inspiration I reckon!
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Edison did invent at least some things personally, but his biggest and best invention seems to have been the organised system of bringing people together to invent things.

It might be that some government bodies, things like The Royal Armouries, got pretty close to the same concept, but he seems to have really cracked it, and he certainly knew how to personally claim the credit for the work of the people he brought together within the system he created, and for inventions made by other people altogether.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Exploit others without credit to them?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

The memes do the inventing, of fancy tech but also the adverts selling it. The humans are just the genetic substrate in which they perform their evolutionary process, at about 10,000X the speed of genetic evolution.

Yes, we are all just meat-computers programmed by the language and concept AIs! Gawd.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
rjb

Post by rjb »

The "self charging hybrid" falls into this category. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Nearholmer wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 6:06pm Edison did invent at least some things personally, but his biggest and best invention seems to have been the organised system of bringing people together to invent things.

It might be that some government bodies, things like The Royal Armouries, got pretty close to the same concept, but he seems to have really cracked it, and he certainly knew how to personally claim the credit for the work of the people he brought together within the system he created, and for inventions made by other people altogether.
Off to read about the Royal Armouries...

My example would be the Venetian Arsenal:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venetian_Arsenal

Jonathan
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

to read about the Royal Armouries.
Don’t do that.

I meant the Royal Arsenal..
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

: - )

Thanks

Jonathan
sjs

Post by sjs »

rjb wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 7:01pm The "self charging hybrid" falls into this category. :lol:
Absolutely.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Not forgetting the 'Zero Emission' electric cars. They even managed to persuade government to use the term and tax accordingly.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Tangled Metal wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 1:47pm Perhaps even the CUK community has been fooled by marketing science.
Me? Never fooled - I am very happy with several compliant frames that are stiff for responsive climbing out of the saddle.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Various skin and hair care products. I learn of new substances whenever another ad is screened.
I'm sure they think their targeted market takes all this guff as fact.
Even when claiming how a survey has shown a thumbs up the sample size canvased is small and often gets less than 80%.