Rear dynamo lights

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mattsccm

Rear dynamo lights

Post by mattsccm »

Am I right in thinking that these only come in static versions not flashing? Experience and watching others shows me that for my morning commute a flashing light is a darn sight more visible which is what I need. Think murky grey mornings, wooded background rather than total darkness.
I guess I am stuck with a constant though
Also do people have particular favourite rear light of this sort?
Jdsk

Re: Rear dynamo lights

Post by Jdsk »

I think that there are some but that they don't meet German standards so aren't abundant.

I use B+M rear dynamo lights with the standlight function on but nothing else, including the brake warning function on those that have it. My back-up rear light is a CatEye battery LED unit on the mudguard or seat post. That is set to flash.

There's a current (!) discussion of Tecline rear lights:
viewtopic.php?t=153258

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

Flashing lights are pretty poor: noticeable but difficult to identify the location and distracting drivers' attention from other cyclists.

I prefer steady lights with a large illuminated area. Sadly, the Axa light I'm still using is no longer made, so not much use as a recommendation.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PH

Post by PH »

mattsccm wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 8:50pm Am I right in thinking that these only come in static versions not flashing?
I'm pretty sure the reason is that they're not permitted in Germany.
I use a steady dynamo light, and a flashing battery one. I think it quite likely that's more than needed, it's certainly far less light than many others I see, but it's enough to make me feel comfortable.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

"Flashing lights are pretty poor: noticeable but difficult to identify the location and distracting drivers' attention from other cyclists."
Incorrect as I pointed out they are just what I need.
They tell a driver that there is something to be aware of. What other cyclists? I only see 3 cars unless I am late in 10 miles. I see more boar!
I doubt I'll find such a thing but thats why I asked.
deeferdonk

Post by deeferdonk »

Maybe not what you were thinking but these are battery free and have flash function. Powered by a magnet on your spokes.

(I have no experience of using them myself)

https://reelight.com/collections/battery-free-lights
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Plus one for the remark that it's less easy to judge the distance to a flashing light. This is supported by research. On that basis, I've always used both on my commute, often a regular lamp powered by the dynamo and an additinal, flashing lamp, powered by battery. Not that I commute anymore :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Folks wishing to read more on the subject of flashing vs. steady and the data with respect to them both may care to visit the page linked below.
https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/ques ... teady-beam
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I would always use two lights on the back on the commuter. The dynamo light is great unless the cable has been knocked off, the battery light great unless you forget to charge it. So belt and braces for me with a steady dynamo light on the mudguard and the option of a flashing battery light on the rack.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I don't think you'll find a flashing dynamo light. Just add a battery light on the seatpost, seat stay, rear rack or wherever else it might fit on your bike. They're not expensive and the batteries or charge lasts for ages.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

deeferdonk wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 7:30am Maybe not what you were thinking but these are battery free and have flash function. Powered by a magnet on your spokes.

(I have no experience of using them myself)

https://reelight.com/collections/battery-free-lights
I transferred one of these on to the lad's bike from a bike I bought for spares, it works really well.
mjr

Post by mjr »

geocycle wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 1:34pm I would always use two lights on the back on the commuter. The dynamo light is great unless the cable has been knocked off, the battery light great unless you forget to charge it. So belt and braces for me with a steady dynamo light on the mudguard and the option of a flashing battery light on the rack.
Put the light where you can look at it (seat stay, rack back...) and check it when you stop at junctions. One good light is far better than two cheap unreliable lights.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

simonineaston wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 7:56amit's less easy to judge the distance to a flashing light.
It's less easy to judge the distance to a light that hasn't been noticed, too.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

axel_knutt wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 3:27pm
simonineaston wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 7:56amit's less easy to judge the distance to a flashing light.
It's less easy to judge the distance to a light that hasn't been noticed, too.
And a 50% flashing light is only on half the time, so much more easily missed.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

It's also been suggested that persons driving under the influence are more attracted to flashing lights and may drive towards them. However no evidence was presented to support his (but it was enough for me to change my battery lights from flashing to steady)