Hambini

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cugel

Hambini

Post by Cugel »

Hambini is a feisty foul-mouthed iconoclast happily smashing the pretty pictures of cycling-related products hung before us in the various cycling-churches of the mass media organs claiming to be "for cyclists". Hambini employs his engineering knowledge to reveal a string of very poor to very dangerous cycling products (mostly frames and wheels) that have all been praised to the skies and iconified by numerous so-called "cycling journalists" who are all transparent shills for the purveyors of cycling stuff, splurging out their regurgitated PR blurb, often in lock-step across a series of cycling magazines and websites.

Many will be put off by Hambini's constant stream of foul-mouthed invective, mostly employed to emphasis just how bad he thinks the products are that he's "tearing down"; and how much worse he thinks are the people who make, sell and promote these products.

I came across the fellow via this CUK website forum - a thread in which someone mentioned the debacle of Bowman bikes and Hambini's part in revealing what he called, in ihis calmer moments, the "utter crapness" of both the bikes and their purveyors/promoters.

Have you viewed any of his oeuvre yourself? Do you have an opinion on his efforts to reveal both the poor engineering and the lying promoters of the poorly engineered products? I'd love to hear these opinions and your reasons for holding them. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
jois

Re: Hambini

Post by jois »

Cugel wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 8:53am Hambini is a feisty foul-mouthed iconoclast happily smashing the pretty pictures of cycling-related products hung before us in the various cycling-churches of the mass media organs claiming to be "for cyclists". Hambini employs his engineering knowledge to reveal a string of very poor to very dangerous cycling products (mostly frames and wheels) that have all been praised to the skies and iconified by numerous so-called "cycling journalists" who are all transparent shills for the purveyors of cycling stuff, splurging out their regurgitated PR blurb, often in lock-step across a series of cycling magazines and websites.

Many will be put off by Hambini's constant stream of foul-mouthed invective, mostly employed to emphasis just how bad he thinks the products are that he's "tearing down"; and how much worse he thinks are the people who make, sell and promote these products.

I came across the fellow via this CUK website forum - a thread in which someone mentioned the debacle of Bowman bikes and Hambini's part in revealing what he called, in ihis calmer moments, the "utter crapness" of both the bikes and their purveyors/promoters.

Have you viewed any of his oeuvre yourself? Do you have an opinion on his efforts to reveal both the poor engineering and the lying promoters of the poorly engineered products? I'd love to hear these opinions and your reasons for holding them. :-)

Cugel
He is on my subscription list. He has recently calmed it down a bit after a visit from the police over causing alleged harresment and several threats to sue him for deformation.

It's still interesting if you want to know the finer points of carbon or bearing science and still funny with out being quite as eeer rude
Last edited by jois on 27 Sep 2022, 9:06am, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

jois wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 9:01am
Cugel wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 8:53am Hambini is a feisty foul-mouthed iconoclast happily smashing the pretty pictures of cycling-related products hung before us in the various cycling-churches of the mass media organs claiming to be "for cyclists". Hambini employs his engineering knowledge to reveal a string of very poor to very dangerous cycling products (mostly frames and wheels) that have all been praised to the skies and iconified by numerous so-called "cycling journalists" who are all transparent shills for the purveyors of cycling stuff, splurging out their regurgitated PR blurb, often in lock-step across a series of cycling magazines and websites.

Cugel
He is on my subscription list. He has recently calmed it down a bit after a visit from the police over causing alleged harresment and several threats to sue him for deformation
I think it's a typo, but if not, it's brilliant! :D
jois

Post by jois »

Bonefishblues wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 9:03am

Cugel
He is on my subscription list. He has recently calmed it down a bit after a visit from the police over causing alleged harresment and several threats to sue him for deformation
Can't take credit it was a typo
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

jois wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 9:07am
Bonefishblues wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 9:03am

Can't take credit it was a typo
Let's credit the God of Serendipity :)
peetee

Post by peetee »

I too am a subscriber to Hambini. I find him bearable in small doses but personal opinions aside I believe what he is doing - cutting through marketing blurb and pseudo-science - has great value. There are too many companies out there buying in diamonds and selling coal, as it were.
I have had to use similar tactics as Hambini to persuade customers that they have been poorly served by the bike they have bought and that they should do something about it.
While I can’t say with any great certainty that he is entirely unbiased or unsupported his use of a Cinderella fleece and lack of ParkTool ‘wallpaper’ speaks volumes to me.
Last edited by peetee on 27 Sep 2022, 1:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

Interesting channel if you can tolerate the juvenile language. Better is Luescher Teknik, from Australia. Someone who knows what he is talking about, and only does bikes. His presentation skills are lamentable, but if you stick with it you will learn something. I suppose you could say the same of Hambini.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Hambini has to be found in the right mood (or is it mode) perhaps? His website stuff contains a lot of useful engineering-based stuff about various bicycle components. This afternoon I looked out the window at the rain and wind then put down the bike shed keys to have a scull about Hambini's stuff concerning Trek BB90 bearings instead of doing what I oughter on the bicycle. I learnt some new stuff that I didn't realise that I didn't know. He seemed quite calm and didn't swear once, that I noticed.

He doesn't do himself any favours with the foul-mouthed rhetoric, though. Nor with what seems to be something bordering on a casual misogyny - although that may be one of his sarcasm things, akin to referring to himself as an autistic 5-year old. It's very hard to tell, so one wishes he would just stick to the engineering.

His presentational style also suffers from a degree of the inarticulate - too many broken sentences and confused babbles that have to be picked apart to get the good stuff.

On the other hand, despite his blemishes as a presenter, the major effect of mercilessly exposing both the poor manufacturing standards of many hyped products, as well as the dishonesty of so-called cycling "journalists" to be something other than advertising shills for those manufacturers, is somewhat welcome. I don't know about you but I gave up taking many cycling magazine or website "reviews" or "tests" seriously years ago. Yet many seem still to take these rascals as some sort of honest authority when they come to buying cycling stuff.

There's something to be said for a small and rude boy yelling that many of the cycling emperors have no clothes.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
jois

Post by jois »

Cugel wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 3:40pm Hambini has to be found in the right mood (or is it mode) perhaps? His website stuff contains a lot of useful engineering-based stuff about various bicycle components. This afternoon I looked out the window at the rain and wind then put down the bike shed keys to have a scull about Hambini's stuff concerning Trek BB90 bearings instead of doing what I oughter on the bicycle. I learnt some new stuff that I didn't realise that I didn't know. He seemed quite calm and didn't swear once, that I noticed.

He doesn't do himself any favours with the foul-mouthed rhetoric, though. Nor with what seems to be something bordering on a casual misogyny - although that may be one of his sarcasm things, akin to referring to himself as an autistic 5-year old. It's very hard to tell, so one wishes he would just stick to the engineering.

His presentational style also suffers from a degree of the inarticulate - too many broken sentences and confused babbles that have to be picked apart to get the good stuff.

On the other hand, despite his blemishes as a presenter, the major effect of mercilessly exposing both the poor manufacturing standards of many hyped products, as well as the dishonesty of so-called cycling "journalists" to be something other than advertising shills for those manufacturers, is somewhat welcome. I don't know about you but I gave up taking many cycling magazine or website "reviews" or "tests" seriously years ago. Yet many seem still to take these rascals as some sort of honest authority when they come to buying cycling stuff.

There's something to be said for a small and rude boy yelling that many of the cycling emperors have no clothes.

Cugel
You tube is full of knowledge articulate presenters with only a few hundred subscribers.

The finer points of bearing tolerance only has a limited audience

Building a successful Chanel is largely to do with the projection of the presenters personality, their actual personality or a fabricated one. There is most certainly fame and fortune to be had from this USP
jois

Post by jois »

Cugel wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 3:40pm Hambini has to be found in the right mood (or is it mode) perhaps? His website stuff contains a lot of useful engineering-based stuff about various bicycle components. This afternoon I looked out the window at the rain and wind then put down the bike shed keys to have a scull about Hambini's stuff concerning Trek BB90 bearings instead of doing what I oughter on the bicycle. I learnt some new stuff that I didn't realise that I didn't know. He seemed quite calm and didn't swear once, that I noticed.

Cugel
You tube is full of knowledge and articulate presenters with only a few hundred subscribers.

The finer points of bearing tolerance only has a limited audience

Building a successful Chanel is largely to do with the projection of the presenters personality, their actual personality or a fabricated one. There is most certainly fame and fortune to be had from this USP
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Legal action for deformation? His BBs obviously can't be as stiff as he claims.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
fullfathom5

Post by fullfathom5 »

His channel is one I would personally never support (see: https://ridewriterepeat.com/2022/01/26/ ... -industry/).