SRAM Rival 1x11 trigger shifter?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
boink

SRAM Rival 1x11 trigger shifter?

Post by boink »

Just ordered a new Planet X Kaffenback 1x 11 drop bar bike, which uses SRAM Rival double tap brifter. I'd like to fit a trekking bar to for more varied hand positions on commutes and longer weekend trips. Is this what I need shifter wise? https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/sl-700-b1
mattsccm

Re: SRAM Rival 1x11 trigger shifter?

Post by mattsccm »

Probably as virtually all SRAM MTB and road were interchangeable at each "speed" and sometimes across several.
There is a document on the web that discusses this as there are suggestions that "exact actuation " varies. Maybe Leonard Zinn?
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

There's a couple of SRAM standards for derailleur cable pull, confusingly named Exact Actuation and X-Actuation. I believe Exact Actuation is on SRAM MTB 10-speed and road 10- and 11-speed, while X-Actuation is on MTB 11- and 12-speed. So you have to be careful when buying 11-speed kit.

The S-700 lever you link to should work as, like your Rival groupset, it's Exact Actuation - but make sure you get the SL-700-B1 model, as there's also an X-Actuation version of the S-700 shifter (model SL-S700-PA-A1).

However... the SL-700-B1 shifter looks like it only comes as a pair: an 11-speed rear shifter with a 2-speed front shifter which you don't need for your 1x11 setup. So it's a bit of a waste of money. If you don't mind slumming it you could buy the Apex 1 11-speed trigger shifter instead, which is just the single rear shifter. https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/sl-apx-a1
boink

Post by boink »

Thanks. Great advice there and I'm all for slumming it with a solution that saves momey and works. Next step is finding the right mechanical disc brake levers Planning on Moloko, Velo orange crazy bars or Denham bars for varied hand positions.