Advice on gearing

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gregoryoftours

Re: Advice on gearing

Post by gregoryoftours »

Vantage wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 12:17pm I'd say a new cassette with a bigger low gear would be cheaper than a new chainset and possible bottom bracket.
Speed on a touring bike seems a bit silly as the slower you go the more you see which afaics, is what touring is all about.
It might be cheaper as long as the OP doesn't have to need a new rear derailleur or hanger extender to accommodate a 36 big sprocket. But that still won't give as low a gear as a 22 small ring used with his existing cassette. For me a 9 speed 36 cassette would have bigger gaps between gear ratios than I'd be happy with, and I'd still want a lower bottom. I would prefer the overall lowering of the ratio range achieved with a different chainset. Often a triple 28/38/48 will be available in 44/32/22 at the same chainline which would not require a new bottom bracket.

But yes all valid solutions, depending on the needs/priorities of the OP. All perfectly doable and touring will be more enjoyable as a result!
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

gregoryoftours wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 11:48am You may have to shorten your chain a bit, and your rear derailleur will have to take a little more slack which should be accommodated for if it's not too old a model of deore mech.
Take care shortening your chain. Check that it will still work in the big-big gears. OK you don't intend to use this combination but if your chain is too short and you shift into big-big by accident, say, the mech can jam solid and be very hard to free up. Been there, done that and the only way to get the chain free is by removing a derailer pulley.Guaranteed to ruin your climb if not your whole day.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

PJ520 wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 1:12pm Take care shortening your chain. Check that it will still work in the big-big gears. OK you don't intend to use this combination but if your chain is too short and you shift into big-big by accident, say, the mech can jam solid and be very hard to free up.
Or worse!
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

To quote myself:
Resistance training is your friend. Complete some of your pre-tour rides with ballast loaded onto your bike; without being excessive build a fraction more muscle strength and, in particular, more fatigue resistance - when load moving every little increase in fitness does help.

Hill climbing has lots of factors involved; I claim no expertise but technique and mental attitudes can be improved without cost and make better use of what we already have.
This morning I was riding off-road up a gravel hill in my local woods. From past experience I knew that I couldn’t cycle the hill but today decided to cycle the first part. It appears that the resistance training, technique and revised mental attitudes are paying off, I cycled the bulk of the hill before electing to walk the remainder - having got into a sustainable rhythm I think I could have done the lot, but why risk overdoing things.

Brucey - greatly missed here - used to train on three speed SA hub gears. Train on one of them and everything else will seem easy. :D
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Carlton green wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 2:31pm
Brucey - greatly missed here - used to train on three speed SA hub gears. Train on one of them and everything else will seem easy. :D
Too true. Any news on how he's doing?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

PJ520 wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 7:01pm
Too true. Any news on how he's doing?
https://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32609

Scroll down for latest.

Greatly missed by all there and here :( :(
rubelahamed

Post by rubelahamed »

You say the rear is Deore, what is the exact chainset. As suggested above, swapping out the inner granny ring is often possible.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

rubelahamed wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 12:07pm You say the rear is Deore, what is the exact chainset. As suggested above, swapping out the inner granny ring is often possible.
Page 2....Alivio. Not sure the if the chainrings are bolted or rivetted.
PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Thank you again for all the suggestions.

It seems that the most sensible course of action is to take it to the LBS and see what the chap says.

I'll make sure I report back.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

If you do have the bike shop modify your gearing make sure you see it working with big-big gears. The second time I came across a too short chain calamity it was an LBS what done it. The first time was my blunder.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I've also done it once.
New chainrings, chain and sprocket on my bent trike.
Set the chain at the perfect length on the big chainring.
But the chain was too close to the new bigger sprocket so a mech extender was added to improve the gap.
That worked fine until I went to shift onto the big chainring.
It shifted but only just and with zero slack.
Got away with only bending the mech hanger.
So a new mech hanger was ordered and a couple of links was added to the chain.

Luck ....... :D
Grldtnr

Post by Grldtnr »

I am with Tigerbitten,
If touring I am on my recumbent trike, it is very rare that I have to get off and walk, but sometimes &one' does get caught out, not a problem when your sitting comfortably, especially since I run a hybrid Sturney Archer hub / gear on the rear, 2 clicks then I am in bottom range, then I can winch my self up most inclines, provided that it is low on the cluster.
Failing that, employ 3 wheel drive, push off with the front wheels.
As Tiger B will agree , you still need the ratios to be right, I am not sure I have the right ones still, but short of doing Alpine climbs, I' be got up most drags.

Just the superiority of the recumbent trike in that situation.
A laid back, low down, layabout recumbent triker!
Ianwhitwell

Post by Ianwhitwell »

I also struggle with hills. Probably will until I lose some weight :lol: So on my relative new spa elan I specked a 46/36/24 front and 10 so 11/36 rear. Seems to meet all my current requirements. Not run out of gears yet. Though I haven’t tried hills with a camping load yet.
I’m sure there must be adaptations of you current system which would give you a similar range. Best wishes anyway.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

An off the wall suggestion that I'm considering myself...

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hubs-intern ... e-hub-36h/

OP could use existing cassette & Perhaps a smaller outer C/W.

Against: up front expense. Hub + wheelbuild.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Chapeau Brucey!
I’m currently having a go at riding single-speed. This morning I ventured out on a 66” gear to tackle 15 miles of windy Cornish roads including a couple of 10% gradients - both into the teeth of the gale.
It’s hard but there’s something about the simplicity and efficiency of the bike that’s really appealing. As too is the thought that you have made life more difficult for yourself but got through it anyway.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.