Dallian Atkinson aquittal

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Dallian Atkinson aquittal

Post by Jdsk »

jois wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 11:11pm
Jdsk wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 10:57pm
jois wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 10:43pm The report said ex pc ,one assumes she resigned
Where does it say that, please?
Thought I read it in the above link, looked again I might be mistaken
Thanks

I can't see it there.

Jonathan
jois

Post by jois »

pwa wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 5:02am
jois wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 10:23pm
pwa wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 10:08pm
If you read the item fully you will see that one officer was convicted of manslaughter in 2021 due to his part in this incident. The doubt was over the role of his young, inexperienced female colleague who claimed she was in fear at the time. I don't think that in the cool light of day her actions were always right, but I find it possible to believe that she acted with fear and confusion, and possibly even panic.
Tha was down from a murder charge, so.....

Yea your right , bloke lay unconscious on the floor dieing, clearly any normal person would panic and give a few clouts with a metal stick. Perfectly reasonable in my opinion
That's just it though. You are expecting a young recruit who is afraid of a violent person who is much larger and stronger than her and her colleague to act with calm rationality as if she were sat at a desk in a calm atmosphere. And he wasn't necessarily unconscious at that point. She may have had reason to fear that he would get up again. I don't think she handled the situation well. I think she handled it as you and I might, terrified and driven by a desire to simply stop the threat to her own life. The jury must have bleieved that she was afraid he would get up again and possibly take her life. Add to all that the fact that her own attack on the man did not cause his death.
I'm not expecting a young recruit not to hit an helpless man ,,( but she doesn't appear to be that young), I'm rather exsecting a decent human being not to. But your right she didn't kill anyone and juries have an issue convicting the police. So she walks away.

Perhaps all new police officers should be allowed to attack one defenceless mop. Before they can be expected to know better
slowster

Post by slowster »

From the ITV report:
The court heard that Mr Atkinson was tasered three times in total and had not flinched in the first two taser deployments.
Pc Bettley-Smith said she hit him with a baton as he appeared to feel no pain when being tasered.
"I thought he was trying to get up to fight," she told the court. "In my opinion he was trying to get up on to his hands and knees."
https://www.itv.com/news/central/2022-0 ... er-arrest

According to the reports Atkinson was in a disturbed mental state - likely as a result of a build-up of toxins linked to renal failure. Atkinson's partner said he had mentioned "the messiah" on 14 August and removed a dialysis line which had left him in constant pain. He had also smashed a window at his father's home.

The PC was cleared of assault causing actual bodily harm. The decision remains to be taken about whether she will face internal police disciplinary proceedings for her actions.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

jois wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 9:41am she didn't kill anyone and juries have an issue convicting the police. So she walks away.
Whilst some people have an axe to grind with our police. And here we are!
jois

Post by jois »

mattheus wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 9:50am
jois wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 9:41am she didn't kill anyone and juries have an issue convicting the police. So she walks away.
If the other guy hadn't managed to actually kill him, then they both would stayed in the police and given endless oportunities to hit/kick other helpless members of the public.

I know enough of the police to know that this sort of behaviour is far from rare.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

jois wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 10:16am
If the other guy hadn't managed to actually kill him, then they both would stayed in the police and given endless oportunities to hit/kick other helpless members of the public.

I know enough of the police to know that this sort of behaviour is far from rare.
Which is an interesting insight, but people here are rightly bridling at your 'so therefore guilty' inference in this case.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

jois wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 10:16am If the other guy hadn't managed to actually kill him, then they both would stayed in the police and given endless oportunities to hit/kick other helpless members of the public.
Yes, it would be terrible if he hadn't been killed. Thanks for pointing that out.
jois

Post by jois »

mattheus wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 10:24am
jois wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 10:16am If the other guy hadn't managed to actually kill him, then they both would stayed in the police and given endless oportunities to hit/kick other helpless members of the public.
Yes, it would be terrible if he hadn't been killed. Thanks for pointing that out.
It would have been a lot better for the guy in question certainly, a lot worse for all the other people he would go on to brutalized, it's very unlikely this was the first incedent, people don't go from reasonable to violent bully all in one go.

there must have been many opertunities for his fellow officers to speak up about his behaviour They all carry a degree of moral guilt to let him continue
jois

Post by jois »

Bonefishblues wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 10:22am

Which is an interesting insight, but people here are rightly bridling at your 'so therefore guilty' inference in this case.
You suggested I had an axe to grind, that a % of the police abuse their powers and assualt " prisoners" is not I trust in dispute . This one by the insight of a jury is not guilty of ABH , that doesn't stop me from being free to consider her actions reprehensible
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

jois wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 10:37am

You suggested I had an axe to grind, that a % of the police abuse their powers and assualt " prisoners" is not I trust in dispute . This one by the insight of a jury is not guilty of ABH , that doesn't stop me from being free to consider her actions reprehensible
I did not suggest that.
jois

Post by jois »

Bonefishblues wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 10:50am
I did not suggest that.
You said some people have an axe to grind in a reply to my post.

Should I take it this was a mistake and you were not refering to me
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

jois wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 10:54am

I did not suggest that.

You may be confusing me with someone else, suggest re-read posts
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

You suggested I had an axe to grind, that a % of the police abuse their powers and assualt " prisoners" is not I trust in dispute . This one by the insight of a jury is not guilty of ABH ,
... whilst her colleague was jailed for 8 years on Manslaughter, despite your statement that
"juries have issues convicting police."

So here we are.
jois

Post by jois »

Bonefishblues wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 10:56am
jois wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 10:54am

I did not suggest that.

You may be confusing me with someone else, suggest re-read posts
In that case my sincere apology
jois

Post by jois »

mattheus wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 10:58am
You suggested I had an axe to grind, that a % of the police abuse their powers and assualt " prisoners" is not I trust in dispute . This one by the insight of a jury is not guilty of ABH ,
... whilst her colleague was jailed for 8 years on Manslaughter, despite your statement that
"juries have issues convicting police."

So here we are.
He was charged with murder which would carry a " whole life" sentence
He was convicted of manslaughter and given 8 years.( Manslaughter carries the possibility of a whole life sentence as well)

I think that supports my point, I'm not sure any other violent bully attacking a helpless man would have got off so lightly