UK energy

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Biospace

Re: UK energy

Post by Biospace »

Nearholmer wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 6:44pm
I'd love to know his reasoning behind backing biomass on a large scale
Far faster carbon cycle than fossil fuel?

If you read the text, carbon capture and storage is proposed. See also the carbon footprint of biomass energy.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Carlton green wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 9:27pm
I'd love to know his reasoning behind backing biomass on a large scale
Misdirection and ignorance.

Perhaps a little realism, in that coal burning is seen as a vote loser espcially for Labour, despite it being no better on a carbon footing than natural gas given 1-3% leaks to the atmosphere of gas - https://medium.com/anti-dote/natural-ga ... 9e95eb4961) and we've invested heavily in re-appropriating old coal burning plants, Drax for example has an output of nearly 4GW.

In the years between now and the Smart Grid, mass storage (domestic and industrial) and other renewables, having old-fashioned power stations which can relatively quickly match demand (very short term demand peak are usually met by pumped storage hydro, then gas) is essential. It's likely viewed as acceptable because there is no other choice at the moment.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Nearholmer wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 3:06pm What are the relative capacities of tidal lagoon generation and nuclear?
That’s a little like asking if a moped is faster than a boat, it's unspecific.
Nearholmer wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 3:06pm The odd figures I’ve seen suggest that the largest foreseeable tidal lagoon might have an intermittent output of somewhere in the order of 10th of the continuous output of a modern nuclear plant. If that is correct then saying “just a few” is well off beam.

I’m not sure where you glean these figures from, but estimates vary a lot. Remember that although the individual technologies exist this is something as a whole which has not yet been done, there are significant arguments in favour of the more efficient tidal barrage rather than lagoons.

I fully understand your scepticism, very similar doubts were expressed about wind and solar electricity generation but even with negligible UK Grid storage and lower capacity factors than tidal, these are widely considered an ongoing success for the UK grid supply. It's clear there are challenges to be worked through and design will evolve, more reason to initially proceed with multiple smaller schemes.

To consider one tidal lagoon in isolation is not representative of what a series of tidal power generators around our coastline would achieve.

Storage is increasingly critical to the resilience of our future energy supplies whatever the mix, tidal lagoons and barrages are able to add storage on a large scale for low marginal cost. That alone is an important asset.

Nearholmer wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 3:06pm I’m not saying don’t use or consider lagoons, but it’s like the previous debate about low-head hydro, it needs to be thought about realistically, and as part of a mix of things, rather than over-optimistically.
One or two contributors to this thread tried to make it sound as if I was suggesting British river hydro was capable of supplying a large proportion of demand even though it couldn't have been clearer this wasn't the case, rather that as a small part of a future energy grid it is ideal in making it diverse and resilient.

There is no unrealistic thought or over-optimism on my part as you suggest, just a recognition that technology does not stand still if given room to develop, that diversity is important in an energy grid which relies significantly on cheap solar and wind and a zeal to extract ourselves from the weak-minded, lazy approach which has landed Britain in the perilous position it now is.

We're relying on gas brought in by ship from far afield to keep the lights and heating on, reinstating coal powered electricity and keeping our fingers crossed for a windy winter, while paying the oil industry billions in sweeteners, spending billions storing nuclear waste and investing very little in long term, clean energy - leaving it to the markets to ignore our interests.

The professor in this news item has raised very awkward questions for tidal energy, but sees the opportunities it creates if done well - https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/ha ... ar-AAZmP67. It's an article well worth a read.

British government has been plagued by indecision, unclear thinking and bad advice in the post-war period, in particular from the 1970s onwards. Time and again we've seen fine engineers with ideas which have gone on to conquer the world which the British themselves have shunned, to the profit of foreign governments and business, to our steady decline from the “can do” culture and the prosperity which comes with it when allied with good brains. Perhaps the commercial disaster of our nuclear industry has not helped this nervous attitude, at least Gordon Brown saw reality and moved rapidly to sell off our liabilities to the French.

In some respects this can be labelled an English disease, energy-wise the Welsh and Scots, while fully aware of the challenges, inherently appreciate the practicalities and sense of using renewable energy in a way which many Englishmen quietly ridicule. They prefer to spend money on overcoming complexities and problems which lead to technologies capable of generating clean energy for centuries without risk of large scale disaster, technologies in which we have the potential to lead and so can be exported around the world.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Biospace wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 4:53pm
Nearholmer wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 3:06pm What are the relative capacities of tidal lagoon generation and nuclear?
The numbers for the UK are posted upthread... maximum possible, fractional contribution to national requirements, comparisons to proposed nuclear plants...

Jonathan
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 5:00pm
The numbers for the UK are posted upthread... maximum possible, fractional contribution to national requirements, comparisons to proposed nuclear plants...

Jonathan

Thank you Jonathan, I read those. The wikipedia page you linked to says, "There are different ways to evaluate tidal energy output" which is a fair comment.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Biospace wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 6:03pm
Jdsk wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 5:00pm
Biospace wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 4:53pm That’s a little like asking if a moped is faster than a boat, it's unspecific.
The wikipedia page you linked to says, "There are different ways to evaluate tidal energy output" which is a fair comment.
It is, but it doesn't mean that its contribution to total electricity generation in the UK could be greater than 12%. Most estimates are considerably lower than that.

The Labour briefing paper is one of the most ambitious that I have seen. That has:

Recommendation 23: Trial and expand tidal energy to around 3GW of capacity, for instance with:
• at least one medium scale tidal-lagoon demonstration scheme operating by the early 2020s – then, if successful, at least one larger scale tidal lagoon installation by 2030; and
• an expansion of tidal stream to at least 1GW of capacity by 2030.

Jonathan

PS: There was a lot more than electricity generation in the Swansea Bay lagoon plan. It included new energy storage and a fair bit of regional development. I expect it to reappear.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 6:15pm
Biospace wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 6:03pm
The wikipedia page you linked to says, "There are different ways to evaluate tidal energy output" which is a fair comment.
It is, but it doesn't mean that its contribution to total electricity generation in the UK could be greater than 12%. Most estimates are considerably lower than that.

The Labour briefing paper is one of the most ambitious that I have seen. That has:

Recommendation 23: Trial and expand tidal energy to around 3GW of capacity, for instance with:
• at least one medium scale tidal-lagoon demonstration scheme operating by the early 2020s – then, if successful, at least one larger scale tidal lagoon installation by 2030; and
• an expansion of tidal stream to at least 1GW of capacity by 2030.

It's worth reminding ourselves that the idea of 'lagoons' tied to South Wales are but a shadow of what has been proposed since 1849, then 1925 and many times since. On almost every occasion, plans were rejected on the grounds that cheaper energy was available (from fossil fuels), most recently the environmentalists caused the problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severn_Barrage
The largest barrages (sited beyond Hinkley Point and towards Minehead on the English side and Aberthaw on the Welsh side) would significantly affect the entire Severn Estuary and much of the Bristol Channel, but could generate 15 GW peak power and protect the whole of the Somerset levels against flooding and sea-level rise caused by Global Warming.
https://www.thenational.wales/environme ... last-time/
https://claverton-energy.com/letter-fro ... goons.html

Tidal lagoons were suggested for the Bristol Channel when the Severn Barrage plans were obstructed, from what I can see they are less than an ideal generation system for that particular coastline. Here is somewhere they would make a lot of sense,

7.2.-North-Wales-Tidal-Energy.png

https://www.marineenergywales.co.uk/pro ... al-energy/

So a 15GW (peak) generation in the Bristol Channel alone. Peter Hain MP resigned from the Shadow Cabinet to pursue his efforts to convince people of the benefits of a Severn Barrage.

Additionally there are tidal streams all around our west coast as well as all the other estuaries and inlets like Morecambe Bay. A road link to Barrow-on-Furness would be welcomed by many, for example.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

One or two contributors to this thread tried to make it sound as if I was suggesting British river hydro was capable of supplying a large proportion of demand even though it couldn't have been clearer this wasn't the case, rather that as a small part of a future energy grid it is ideal in making it diverse and resilient.

You suggested that river hydro had the same potential as a nuclear power plant.

I'm not suggesting 20% of our supply can ever be river hydro, but there's going to be a lot more than at present. Even if the extra capacity will replace just one nuclear plant, is anyone arguing that's a bad thing?

viewtopic.php?p=1727346&hilit=Biospace#p1727346

Tiny, near irrelevant power sources do not make grids more resilient.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

How (external or non tidal) energy could be stored in tidal lagoons isn’t clear to me, are people confusing how differently tidal lagoons and pumped storage works? Surely if you pump water into tidal lagoons to store then you can’t (with any energy efficiency) simultaneously use the tide to fill them? Perhaps people are thinking more potential buffering or load levelling for an hour or so on the lagoon emptying phase rather than prolonged storage? Of course if the lagoon is already full then you can’t extract energy from water entering it. Puzzling.

The last time that the Somerset levels were flooded it was with surface (rain) water. As a side effect having a tidal barrage would (further) protect the Somerset Levels from sea water flooding but it wouldn’t help - and might obstruct - current drainage issues. IIRC there are already some defences in place against sea water flooding.
Tiny, near irrelevant power sources do not make grids more resilient.
True, IMHO, they might act as technology demonstrators and have other value but if they can’t be scaled up then they might also be a diversion.
Last edited by Carlton green on 18 Oct 2022, 7:54am, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Surely if you pump water into tidal lagoons to store then you can’t (with any energy efficiency) simultaneously use the tide to fill them?
You can if you make the bund wall higher than is required to accommodate the tidal range.

Given that tidal range at any given place naturally varies anyway, if the wall is made high enough to accommodate the very highest natural tide, on many days (most I think) it will have free capacity to accommodate pumped ‘surcharge’ anyway.

Land-drainage filling would be another option for use of any time/space of free capacity.

It would also be possible, without ‘turning away’ tidal energy, to pump-fill and drain-generate at periods of low tide, giving short-term storage, if that is worth having, which I’m not sure it would be.

Whether that’s what is in mind, I don’t know.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Anyone interested in relatively low-head river-based hydro might want to read-up on the Shannon Scheme in Ireland. It was created in the 1920/30s, and involved an absolutely massive amount of dirt-shifting and concrete-laying to produce a c300MW station, which for a brief period supplied all of the electricity for the country.

If ever you are in Ireland, it is well worth visiting the resultant gen station at Ardnacrusha, because it, and the surrounding houses, street furniture etc built for the engineers are so very obviously German. It’s very weird going into a valley in Ireland that seems to be a prosperous suburb of Nuremberg or somewhere. The engineering was all by Siemens, and they even shipped-in all the construction plant, excavators, small portable railways etc, then shipped it all away again at the end.

One could probably do the same with The Severn, but whether the environmental turmoil involved would be tolerated these days, I rather doubt.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Nearholmer wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 7:52am
Surely if you pump water into tidal lagoons to store then you can’t (with any energy efficiency) simultaneously use the tide to fill them?
You can if you make the bund wall higher than is required to accommodate the tidal range.

Given that tidal range at any given place naturally varies anyway, if the wall is made high enough to accommodate the very highest natural tide, on many days (most I think) it will have free capacity to accommodate pumped ‘surcharge’ anyway.

Land-drainage filling would be another option for use of any time/space of free capacity.

It would also be possible, without ‘turning away’ tidal energy, to pump-fill and drain-generate at periods of low tide, giving short-term storage, if that is worth having, which I’m not sure it would be.

Whether that’s what is in mind, I don’t know.
I think that the above is part right. If the bund walls are high then water pumped into it - or time delayed out of it - on the emptying phase of the operating cycle can temporarily store energy to be regained in an hour or two’s time. However the lagoon must be effectively drained at low tide as otherwise energy cannot be gained on the fill cycle until the water level outside of the lagoon is high(er) enough on the open sea side. The pumped storage concept for tidal lagoons seemingly uses them in an unintended way that needs thoughtful management to make a marginal gain work - that or the whole asset has periods of being temporarily ineffective (due to operating cycle disruption) which rather defeats the point of it being there.
Last edited by Carlton green on 18 Oct 2022, 8:51am, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

[quoteHowever the lagoon must be effectively drained at low tide as otherwise energy cannot be gained on the fill cycle][/quote]

Presumably, the lagoon can be arranged to consist of a series of tanks, rather than just a single huge one, with an “uphill” section, on most days filled either by land-drainage or pumping, that is above the typical high-tide level, which can be kept “in hand” while fully draining the lower section to accommodate the next typical tide.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Nearholmer wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 8:07am Anyone interested in relatively low-head river-based hydro might want to read-up on the Shannon Scheme in Ireland. It was created in the 1920/30s, and involved an absolutely massive amount of dirt-shifting and concrete-laying to produce a c300MW station, which for a brief period supplied all of the electricity for the country.

If ever you are in Ireland, it is well worth visiting the resultant gen station at Ardnacrusha, because it, and the surrounding houses, street furniture etc built for the engineers are so very obviously German. It’s very weird going into a valley in Ireland that seems to be a prosperous suburb of Nuremberg or somewhere. The engineering was all by Siemens, and they even shipped-in all the construction plant, excavators, small portable railways etc, then shipped it all away again at the end.

One could probably do the same with The Severn, but whether the environmental turmoil involved would be tolerated these days, I rather doubt.
Very interesting that scheme, thank you.

It's actually just 86 MW according to Wiki, operating at 29m head. The 300 is GWhr/year, not MW.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon ... ric_scheme

That requires 300m3/s flow at 100% efficiency.

Wiki separately quotes the Shannon's flowrate as 200m3/s, which is at least vaguely consistent.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_S ... 0ft%2Fs%5D.

The river Severn is quoted as having half this flow.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Severn

As far upstream as Ironbridge its altitude is just 40m.

At your most optimistic, you might wish for a small fraction of the Shannon scheme. It's peanuts.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

It's actually just 86 MW according to Wiki, operating at 29m head. The 300 is GWhr/year, not MW.
Ah, misremembered, sorry.

Yes, I wasn’t seriously suggesting a major Severn Scheme, although my gut feel was that Ironbridge was a lot higher than 40m …… it’s all pretty steep round there so looks higher, whereas the Shannon Basin looks pancake flat!