Zwift Hub trainer - anyone looking to get one?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Paradiddle

Zwift Hub trainer - anyone looking to get one?

Post by Paradiddle »

I'm currently on the waitlist for the Zwift Hub smart trainer: https://uk.zwift.com/pages/zwift-hub
Apparently it will be ready for order next week. Is anyone also looking to get one?

I think it's a good move for Zwift to release their own branded hardware at a fairly affordable price. Not only do you know it's going to work well with the platform, it's also ready to use with a cassette of your choice already installed. From what I understand it's a repackaged version of the Jetblack Volt trainer which also has fairly good reviews.

This will also be my first time using a direct-drive turbo and Zwift. I'll be putting my n=1 bike on it that has a thru-axle. Does anyone have any tips for setting it up on the turbo? e.g. would I have to adjust the RD indexing? Thinking of using my Windows laptop as the screen for the Zwift. Would I also need a bluetooth extender / ant+ dongle?
TrevA

Re: Zwift Hub trainer - anyone looking to get one?

Post by TrevA »

The Zwift Hub trainer is indeed a re-badged Jet Black Volt trainer. A mate of mine has had one for a year and gets on well with it, and my son in law bought one in the summer, but hasn’t used it much yet. I fairly sure that they broadcast in both Ant+ and Bluetooth. If your laptop has Bluetooth then you should be able to connect to the laptop without a dongle. If using Ant+, then you will need an Ant+ dongle and possibly an extension cable to place the dongle near the trainer. You shouldn’t need to adjust your gears when putting your bike in the trainer. With the Zwift Hub, you can order the same speed cassette as your bike.

I have a Wahoo Kickr and run Zwift on my iPad, without the need for any additional hardware. The iPad just picks up the Bluetooth signal from the trainer.

Depending on where you intend to ride it, you’ll probably need a decent size fan. I have a 12” desk fan, but I’ve just bought a 16” pedestal fan. Have the fan side on at an angle, as it gives a better cooling effect than having it head on. I also use a sweatband and have a towel nearby, as you do get very hot when turboing.

It’s been a game changer for me. I had an old dumb turbo but hardly used it due to extreme boredom. With an interactive trainer and Zwift, the whole thing is a lot more interesting. I particularly enjoy group rides on Zwift, where you can be riding in a big group at a decent speed. It’s very motivating trying not to get dropped. Start off with D rides and see how you go. I particularly like The Herd and Zwift Easy Riders group rides.
Last edited by TrevA on 30 Sep 2022, 4:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
jois

Post by jois »

Paradiddle wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 9:52am I'm currently on the waitlist for the Zwift Hub smart trainer: https://uk.zwift.com/pages/zwift-hub
Apparently it will be ready for order next week. Is anyone also looking to get one?

I think it's a good move for Zwift to release their own branded hardware at a fairly affordable price. Not only do you know it's going to work well with the platform, it's also ready to use with a cassette of your choice already installed. From what I understand it's a repackaged version of the Jetblack Volt trainer which also has fairly good reviews.

This will also be my first time using a direct-drive turbo and Zwift. I'll be putting my n=1 bike on it that has a thru-axle. Does anyone have any tips for setting it up on the turbo? e.g. would I have to adjust the RD indexing? Thinking of using my Windows laptop as the screen for the Zwift. Would I also need a bluetooth extender / ant+ dongle?
Last edited by jois on 30 Sep 2022, 5:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
jois

Post by jois »

Paradiddle wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 9:52am I'm currently on the waitlist for the Zwift Hub smart trainer: https://uk.zwift.com/pages/zwift-hub

No indoor cycling seems to strangest of things to me, it costs money, expends energy with no enjoyment or getting anywhere I want to go except my own house and I'm already there.

I know it's a bit luddite, but I'm sticking with old style cycling for the time being. If I feel a sudden need for cardio with out leaving home. I do Burpees , which I also don't enjoy but they are free and over very quickly
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I use Zwift as a supplement to outdoor riding, not to replace it. I still ride outside in autumn/winter, if I can get out during daylight and the weather’s OK. But if the weather’s like today, heavy rain, then a quick hour of zwifting is a great way to keep your fitness up during the winter.
Paradiddle

Post by Paradiddle »

TrevA wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 4:57pm The Zwift Hub trainer is indeed a re-badged Jet Black Volt trainer. A mate of mine has had one for a year and gets on well with it, and my son in law bought one in the summer, but hasn’t used it much yet. I fairly sure that they broadcast in both Ant+ and Bluetooth. If your laptop has Bluetooth then you should be able to connect to the laptop without a dongle. If using Ant+, then you will need an Ant+ dongle and possibly an extension cable to place the dongle near the trainer. You shouldn’t need to adjust your gears when putting your bike in the trainer. With the Zwift Hub, you can order the same speed cassette as your bike.

I have a Wahoo Kickr and run Zwift on my iPad, without the need for any additional hardware. The iPad just picks up the Bluetooth signal from the trainer.

Depending on where you intend to ride it, you’ll probably need a decent size fan. I have a 12” desk fan, but I’ve just bought a 16” pedestal fan. Have the fan side on at an angle, as it gives a better cooling effect than having it head on. I also use a sweatband and have a towel nearby, as you do get very hot when turboing.

It’s been a game changer for me. I had an old dumb turbo but hardly used it due to extreme boredom. With an interactive trainer and Zwift, the whole thing is a lot more interesting. I particularly enjoy group rides on Zwift, where you can be riding in a big group at a decent speed. It’s very motivating trying not to get dropped. Start off with D rides and see how you go. I particularly like The Herd and Zwift Easy Riders group rides.
Thanks for the tips Trev! Good to know that it should be pretty much ready to ride. Will make sure I come back to this when I start setting up.

Been seeing my friends do different Zwift rides on Strava. Once I settle in I'll make sure to try out the easy group rides.
jois wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 5:00pm No indoor cycling seems to strangest of things to me, it costs money, expends energy with no enjoyment or getting anywhere I want to go except my own house and I'm already there.

I know it's a bit luddite, but I'm sticking with old style cycling for the time being. If I feel a sudden need for cardio with out leaving home. I do Burpees , which I also don't enjoy but they are free and over very quickly
That's fair enough. I also used to be in that camp of not seeing the point of indoor riding. However I find that no matter how much I try to motivate myself I never end up riding that much in the colder months and my fitness drops comes spring. I see indoor riding as a way to take away the excuses and keep my fitness up. That and I hate burpees.
jois

Post by jois »

Paradiddle wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 6:27pm
TrevA wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 4:57pm The Zwift Hub trainer is indeed a re-badged Jet Black Volt trainer. A mate of mine has had one for a year and gets on well with it, and my son in law bought one in the summer, but hasn’t used it much yet. I fairly sure that they broadcast in both Ant+ and Bluetooth. If your laptop has Bluetooth then you should be able to connect to the laptop without a dongle. If using Ant+, then you will need an Ant+ dongle and possibly an extension cable to place the dongle near the trainer. You shouldn’t need to adjust your gears when putting your bike in the trainer. With the Zwift Hub, you can order the same speed cassette as your bike.

Thanks for the tips Trev! Good to know that it should be pretty much ready to ride. Will make sure I come back to this when I start setting up.

Been seeing my friends do different Zwift rides on Strava. Once I settle in I'll make sure to try out the easy group rides.
jois wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 5:00pm No indoor cycling seems to strangest of things to me, it costs money, expends energy with no enjoyment or getting anywhere I want to go except my own house and I'm already there.

That's fair enough. I also used to be in that camp of not seeing the point of indoor riding. However I find that no matter how much I try to motivate myself I never end up riding that much in the colder months and my fitness drops comes spring. I see indoor riding as a way to take away the excuses and keep my fitness up. That and I hate burpees.
Tip one sell car

Tip two have Jan and Feb off just like the pros and then do base training to build your fitness back up, the science seems to suggest this it's better to have an end of " season break" let everything renew and repair then start again, you really don't loose much fitness over a couple of months and you can still do a few scoots out if it's sunny
drossall

Post by drossall »

jois wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 5:00pmNo indoor cycling seems to strangest of things to me, it costs money, expends energy with no enjoyment or getting anywhere I want to go except my own house and I'm already there.

I thought that too until we were all confined to barracks in Covid. Now I try to do it twice a week if I can. It does help with fitness and I can fit it in around life. A short Zwift seems more worthwhile than a short bike ride. But a proper ride is better, you're right.
jois

Post by jois »

drossall wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 7:50pm
jois wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 5:00pmNo indoor cycling seems to strangest of things to me, it costs money, expends energy with no enjoyment or getting anywhere I want to go except my own house and I'm already there.

I thought that too until we were all confined to barracks in Covid. Now I try to do it twice a week if I can. It does help with fitness and I can fit it in around life. A short Zwift seems more worthwhile than a short bike ride. But a proper ride is better, you're right.
That's when my cycling really took off, I could go for many hours/ miles and if challenged, which I wasn't, say I'm on the way to a bike shop for a new dust cap
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

jois wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 6:32pm Tip two have Jan and Feb off just like the pros ..
Except that the post don't take Jan and Feb off. :wink:
jois

Post by jois »

De Sisti wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 10:05am
jois wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 6:32pm Tip two have Jan and Feb off just like the pros ..
Except that the post don't take Jan and Feb off. :wink:
That's not the advice I got from my professional endurance mountain bike coach, have an office season and start again building up to race fitness through " base training"

Most professional sports men/ women do just that
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

At most, the Pro’s will take November off and start training again 1st December. My son was a UK Pro for 10 years and would go straight from the Road Season into the Cyclo-cross season, in September, then straight back to the Road in March, with hardly any break.

The World Tour Pro calendar starts in Jan/Feb, so they will start training well before that. The Tour Down Under is in in mid-January.

Pro Mountain Biking might be different, being a summer only sport, so YMMV. But Tom Pidcock, Olympic MTB champion, also rides cross in the winter, in fact, he’s the current World Cyclo-cross champion too.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

GP Lama In Depth review of the Zwift Hub trainer

https://youtu.be/66-m0eShRdo
jois

Post by jois »

TrevA wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 1:35pm At most, the Pro’s will take November off and start training again 1st December. My son was a UK Pro for 10 years and would go straight from the Road Season into the Cyclo-cross season, in September, then straight back to the Road in March, with hardly any break.

The World Tour Pro calendar starts in Jan/Feb, so they will start training well before that. The Tour Down Under is in in mid-January.

Pro Mountain Biking might be different, being a summer only sport, so YMMV. But Tom Pidcock, Olympic MTB champion, also rides cross in the winter, in fact, he’s the current World Cyclo-cross champion too.
Well that's still a month, ( nearly)all professional sports men have a month or twos break, because it's good for them and their future fitness, footballer are always moaning after a world cup they didn't have sufficient rest and are struggling with fitness and injuries.

If a month's good enough for the pros, there no issue why the rest of us can't have a couple, it takes most of us a lot longer to recover
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

jois wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 8:18pm
TrevA wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 1:35pm At most, the Pro’s will take November off and start training again 1st December. My son was a UK Pro for 10 years and would go straight from the Road Season into the Cyclo-cross season, in September, then straight back to the Road in March, with hardly any break.

Well that's still a month, ( nearly)all professional sports men have a month or twos break, because it's good for them and their future fitness, footballer are always moaning after a world cup they didn't have sufficient rest and are struggling with fitness and injuries.

If a month's good enough for the pros, there no issue why the rest of us can't have a couple, it takes most of us a lot longer to recover
We’ve strayed into Health and Fitness territory here, so I’ll start a new thread in that category to continue the discussion.

viewtopic.php?t=153377