Electric curious - Which? review and gears

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
willcee

Re: Electric curious - Which? review and gears

Post by willcee »

INTERESTING... as someone who put the first tentative toe in the E bike cause on here back in 13 which led to this section quite quickly, I 've been E converted since 17, and to date i've built about 40 odd Bafang equipped machines.. of Late due to the bloody hassle that the EU protocol shoved on Ulster my battery source has all but ceased as he cannot get them here except by 'private' carrier meaning a month between order and receipt..
Reading the various comments I feel that if one is contemplating good hill climbing definitely a mid motor as a hub motor is only driving the wheel not the transmission torque is multiplied by the mid motor and the gearing and from raw experience makes a real difference as I also run a Whyte again a special build with a pair of hub wheels ex an Orbea Gain using a basic BAfang control box running 11 sp Ultegra and it doesn't stop at 16.5/25kph and stays with power until around 23/25, while being quite economical with power use, lovely machine... but wouldn't have the torque that my mid motor Bafang has..
Another thing not often mentioned concerning the available range is the weather plus the users weight and physical size, together with wind and cold can have a 25%++ deduction on a long run, ask me how I know, I rode 8 miles unassisted after doing 40 odd miles with power on a 50lbs drop barred tourer. that was with a 17.5 amp battery usually good for 45 miles at 15 ave speed..And don't think you'll learn to only using the power on hills, Man its addictive worse than 'baccy!!
Again from experience choose something to convert that has disc brakes, hydraulic if possible.. just my 2 cents..now we're approaching equality .not.. will
stodd

Post by stodd »

willcee wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 7:11pm Another thing not often mentioned concerning the available range is the weather plus the users weight and physical size, together with wind and cold can have a 25%++ deduction on a long run,
The Bosch range assistant gives a very good idea of the variability from these factors
https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant

Not perfect, be very helpful. Even though designed for Bosch, with a little interpretation it gives a pretty good idea for any sensible motor/battery setup. And it's especially good at showing the likely expected variation. You can easily find that if you put in optimum conditions in 'eco' setting, and then change to realistic conditions on 'tour' setting you'll get a factor of 3 difference in predicted range. If you change to harsh conditions and heavy use it will drop much much further.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

In my home city, Plymouth, I often see deliveroo riders going uphill at 25/30mph without pedalling.
In Bristol, too - whizz whizz! I guess we're lucky - apparently the latest thing in London if you want to do a crime is dress up as Deliveroo... presumably cos the feds leave you alone! :lol:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
PH

Post by PH »

simonineaston wrote: 8 Oct 2022, 8:46am
In my home city, Plymouth, I often see deliveroo riders going uphill at 25/30mph without pedalling.
In Bristol, too - whizz whizz! I guess we're lucky - apparently the latest thing in London if you want to do a crime is dress up as Deliveroo... presumably cos the feds leave you alone! :lol:
It's also a pretty good safety measure, if drivers have no idea what you're about to do they tend to give you more of room to do it.