To & From Road Signs

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Pebble

To & From Road Signs

Post by Pebble »

Don't know if this is unusual or not (and even though I will have been past this 100 times) I just noticed it last night. From & To

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: To & From Road Signs

Post by Mick F »

Found this milestone some time back, but it's only a "to".
Callington Milestone.jpg
Callington Milestone.jpg (85.78 KiB) Viewed 583 times
Mick F. Cornwall
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

proper bike too...

about 470 miles between those too markers, few placers further apart in England
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Mick F wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 8:29pm Found this milestone some time back, but it's only a "to".

Callington Milestone.jpg
Furlongs stone?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tiggertoo wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 9:24pm
Mick F wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 8:29pm Found this milestone some time back, but it's only a "to".

Callington Milestone.jpg
Furlongs stone?
No, that would say 13F, but maybe that was thought unlucky.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Does anyone think the four lines below the furlong distances - one horizontal and three angled up towards it - implies the mean level of the land behind the wall?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tiggertoo wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 9:44pm Does anyone think the four lines below the furlong distances - one horizontal and three angled up towards it - implies the mean level of the land behind the wall?
It's a benchmark used as a reference elevation for surveying.

They're now obsolete, but here's an archive:
https://parallel.co.uk/os-benchmark-arc ... 551/-2.062

Jonathan
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Pebble wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 8:18pm Don't know if this is unusual or not (and even though I will have been past this 100 times) I just noticed it last night. From & To
Oh, it was just yesterday I found myself "f....ing" and "bl......ing" at road signs in the Wooler area. 4.75 miles out of Wooler, in an an absurd situation where I found myself lost in a one street village - typically for the area, the main road had no sign posts pointing anywhere, whilst the back lane behind a few cottages was signposted, left, right & centre :wink:
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Jdsk wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 9:47pm
Tiggertoo wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 9:44pm Does anyone think the four lines below the furlong distances - one horizontal and three angled up towards it - implies the mean level of the land behind the wall?

Jonathan
Interesting, thanks.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

gbnz wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 9:50pm
Pebble wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 8:18pm Don't know if this is unusual or not (and even though I will have been past this 100 times) I just noticed it last night. From & To
Oh, it was just yesterday I found myself "f....ing" and "bl......ing" at road signs in the Wooler area. 4.75 miles out of Wooler, in an an absurd situation where I found myself lost in a one street village - typically for the area, the main road had no sign posts pointing anywhere, whilst the back lane behind a few cottages was signposted, left, right & centre :wink:
East Lilburn ?
I remember getting a bit bamboozled there many years ago when I took up the cycling - apparently the signs were taken away during the ww2 and they are still waiting for them to be replaced (at least that is what a resident told me)
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Pebble wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 11:58pm
East Lilburn ?
I remember getting a bit bamboozled there many years ago when I took up the cycling - apparently the signs were taken away during the ww2 and they are still waiting for them to be replaced (at least that is what a resident told me)
East Lilburn. No, it was last Saturday I was fuming at East Lilburn, shouting under my breath at this *%$£$^&*(%$£$% :wink: After 2-3 wasted miles, I turned around and realised that cycling along the main A Road for the next 12-13 miles, was far preferable than trying to cycle along a typical pot holed, poorly surfaced, manure spread, 8" deep flooded, Northumbrian back road, sans signs
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

Jonathan
Are you sure. Arrow marks like that were also widely used on anything that was government property (including prisoners clothes).
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

sizbut wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 8:31am

Jonathan
Are you sure. Arrow marks like that were also widely used on anything that was government property (including prisoners clothes).
It looks like an OS benchmark to me:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benchmark ... nburgh.jpg

The Government "broad arrow" symbol (I suppose we'd call it a logo nowadays) didn't have the horizontal bar above it.
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

No. And yes. The arrow there is 100% a government broad arrow. The additional line above is a survey mark for height, but the arrow below is still a broad arrow (the OS stopped using this combination of marks in 1993).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Government arrow, we called a "pusser's arrow" in the RN.
Pusser being slang for Purser.

This is my 6" ruler from when I was an apprentice.
IMG_1504 copy.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall