Guardian blind date

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
jois

Re: Guardian blind date

Post by jois »

Tangled Metal wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 6:13pm
jois wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 2:03pm It most certainly does, nor can you really have a conversation with someone who agrees with you

" I think white wine is best" " I agree" end of that conversation.
Or

"I bought a wonderful white in holiday last year to avoid places in the Rhone valley called... I think Waitrose sells it. If you get the chance look for it. "

"Oh I went to the Rhone a few years ago, which part did you go to? "

Agreement can just be the start of a conversation as per the extension of your conversation example.

Similarly wanting a set of criteria for a blind date doesn't mean they are closed to a blind date that doesn't have them. It's just a wish list, or it could be. The proof is if they walk off because they were disagreed with or not I guess.

I might prefer to agree with my friends I won't fall out with them if we don't. I would have left this forum by now if people who disagreed with me put me off. I reckon more people than not share this outlook in the Liberal West.
But what if you haven't been to Rhone and wouldn't be seen dead in waltrose,

I got a great white wine, oh did you ? Nice
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Personally I used to always hope for conversations and other interlocutions with folk having a very different mindset. I confess that this was mostly for its entertainment value, as I like to tease the daft (and even the merely incautious with their opinions) whilst rehearsing, practicing and refining my own "positions". An excellent side effect was that I'd often get reverse-teased and end up changing my mind - always an exciting experience, as all we who were teenagers in the 60s will know. (Well, we will if we chewed the blotting paper).

But of late I find it much harder to do that. Is it the onset of age and a general ossification, even of the synaptic arrangements? Possibly. But another factor is that our "individualistic" society and culture has become so diffuse, so full of attitudes, opinions and (worst of all) behaviours that I find less than amusing that I can no longer keep my good humour when discussing various things with others who have somehow become alien rather then merely different.

The test is really to ask: how much serious damage is their opinion and consequent behaviour doing to others. Once it was easy to accept those with different political, religious or even behavioural views as they were essentially harmless, being far less likely to be translated into damaging behaviours. But now? Unsocial media, rabid consumerism and the hollowing out of various moral "systems" into nothing more than extremist dogmas has set free the beast in a lot of folk. I don't like them. I avoid them. They seem dangerous. I never had to say that until relatively recently.

But perhaps we're all huddling in our bubbles as the world has become so much more frightening in general? Naw, I'm probably just transmogrified by getting past 70, like them ole gits I used to mock when I was a lad, so long ago. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Perhaps there's scope for a Graun corner? Those of who don't normally buy it wouldn't feel we were freeloading by following the links.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

The point with the wine conversation was that agreeing about something can also lead to other things. I that case reminiscing about a certain wine they like and on to a shared conversation about visiting the Rhone. If not the rhone it could lead to something else. Conversations are fluid. Whether starting from agreement or disagreement a conversation can stop or continue.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

They only report favourable meetings and the type of people are surely vetted .I like true blinders where truly incompatible types are matched.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Their matched dates are always very 'age appropriate', so a 33 and a 35 year old, or very occasionally 65 and 70 and so on. It's never 32 and 21 or 40 and 65. I don't know what the applicants are asked at the application stage, maybe anyone with slightly less 'conventional tastes' is weeded out.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'm 70years old and if I were single I'd be glad of any kind of date!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 9:59am I'm 70years old and if I were single I'd be glad of any kind of date!
Would we have to kiss?

: - )

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 10:12am
reohn2 wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 9:59am I'm 70years old and if I were single I'd be glad of any kind of date!
Would we have to kiss?

Jonathan
Not on the first date,however if you like an old leftwing curmudgeon I might allow a peck on the cheek if you behave yourself

PS,PM me for my number :wink:
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jonathan
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Ben@Forest wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 1:30pm Some of you will be aware of the Guardian's weekly 'Blind Date', where the newspaper puts two people together for a meal and then reports on how they get on. This week to the opening question of 'What were you hoping for?' the reply was:

To enjoy a delicious dinner and engaging conversation with someone with an open mind and similar values and beliefs.

Does the response show that she, if she can't have a date with someone with dissimilar values and beliefs, doesn't have an open mind herself?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ena-nathan
Where does she say she can't have a date with someone with dissimilar values and beliefs. Alls she said was she hoped to have one with someone with an open mind and similar values and beliefs.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

The ideal date (male or female) just needs one asset.......be good at repairing bicycle punctures.
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Oh, God No! I have a lovely relationship with my current partner, but if/ when it ends, I'm planning on staying single after that..
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

cycle tramp wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 7:01pm
Oh, God No! I have a lovely relationship with my current partner, but if/ when it ends, I'm planning on staying single after that..
I'm a glutton for punishment :roll:
W H Auden