Funghi in the forest

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cugel

Funghi in the forest

Post by Cugel »

Today I risked a last gravel ride (I've got me mudguards on now, man!) before the really bad weather sets in. Going carefully about to avoid picking up a jam-branch under the guards, I noticed that the funghi season has begun, following the temperature drop and a nice bit of wet.

I like to cart about a small waterproof camera of the "tough" kind - it even has a dedicated wee baglet under the top tube. It does a "microscope mode" which allows all sorts of close-ups including one with focus-stacking, to keep more of the close-up thing photographed in focus. It lights them up with a built-in LED as well.

Anyroadup, here's five. I didn't pick any, even them nice red spotted items, which can take you orf on a ride that's nothing like a bicycle ride.
Llwyndrissi fungi 1-10-22-4.JPG
Llwyndrissi fungi 1-10-22-12.JPG
Llwyndrissi fungi 1-10-22-14.JPG
Llwyndrissi fungi 1-10-22-15.JPG
Llwyndrissi fungi 1-10-22-20.JPG
Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Nearholmer

Re: Funghi in the forest

Post by Nearholmer »

Those are superb photos.

Here’s one from me, but not up to your technical standard, being a simple ‘phone snap.
Attachments
86027DB0-C462-4ACD-9D1E-70D31DF9F654.jpeg
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

It's that time of year...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Cugel wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 6:49pm Today I risked a last gravel ride (I've got me mudguards on now, man!) before the really bad weather sets in. Going carefully about to avoid picking up a jam-branch under the guards, I noticed that the funghi season has begun, following the temperature drop and a nice bit of wet.

I like to cart about a small waterproof camera of the "tough" kind - it even has a dedicated wee baglet under the top tube. It does a "microscope mode" which allows all sorts of close-ups including one with focus-stacking, to keep more of the close-up thing photographed in focus. It lights them up with a built-in LED as well.

Anyroadup, here's five. I didn't pick any, even them nice red spotted items, which can take you orf on a ride that's nothing like a bicycle ride.

Llwyndrissi fungi 1-10-22-4.JPG
Llwyndrissi fungi 1-10-22-12.JPG
Llwyndrissi fungi 1-10-22-14.JPG
Llwyndrissi fungi 1-10-22-15.JPG
Llwyndrissi fungi 1-10-22-20.JPG

Cugel
Beautiful pictures, thank you.

Mine from last week...
20220923_181053.jpg
rjb

Post by rjb »

Shaggy inkcap. Edible when young and delicious. Cooked of course not raw. Let us know if you liked it. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
peetee

Post by peetee »

A few from Dartmoor last November.
4F396727-55D7-4A72-BA4A-C65D5747896B.jpeg
376D7169-4F99-49E4-8955-5152574CED30.jpeg
Attachments
AB48A09B-BE14-4919-BA1C-136D692E0EAB.jpeg
Last edited by peetee on 1 Oct 2022, 10:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

rjb wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 10:02pm Shaggy inkcap. Edible when young and delicious. Cooked of course not raw. Let us know if you liked it. :lol:
Funnily enough, the next day there was a spectacular rainbow and I stopped for a photo and with the thought of doing just that.

The buggers had mowed the verge! All gone.

As an aside, I loathe the mowing of verges in the countryside. Rich people build massive houses, then promptly try and make them look as suburban as possible. If you want the live in the countryside, why turn it into acacia avenue??
rjb

Post by rjb »

Here's some I picked previously from the local cricket pitch.
DSCF0222.JPG
viewtopic.php?t=80166&start=60#p1646655

Perhaps I'll try them with the "Cul de Chien"
Medlar aka dogs buttocks
Medlar aka dogs buttocks
FRMED32319_3.jpg (34.74 KiB) Viewed 1180 times
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 10:07pm .

As an aside, I loathe the mowing of verges in the countryside. Rich people build massive houses, then promptly try and make them look as suburban as possible. If you want the live in the countryside, why turn it into acacia avenue??
Don’t get me started :wink:
It’s not just rich people with big houses though. Front of mine is purposely wild I’m sure I upset some folk. :lol:
I’m on speaking terms with the main offenders in my village. I usually rib then that fuel must still be too cheap. One guy has butchered a hundred yards of roadside either side of his cottage. Uses the clippings to poison the next bit for his claim. My only hope is he hasn’t many years left on this earth.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pwa

Post by pwa »

Paulatic wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 10:54pm
roubaixtuesday wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 10:07pm .

Don’t get me started :wink:
It’s not just rich people with big houses though. Front of mine is purposely wild I’m sure I upset some folk. :lol:
I’m on speaking terms with the main offenders in my village. I usually rib then that fuel must still be too cheap. One guy has butchered a hundred yards of roadside either side of his cottage. Uses the clippings to poison the next bit for his claim. My only hope is he hasn’t many years left on this earth.
We have a bloke like that on the edge of our village, "looking after" a hundred metres of lane verge that doesn't belong to him and doing his best to make a bit of countryside look like suburbia.

Anyway, thanks to Cugel and others for great pics.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Here are a couple, no idea what they are, taken with my very untechnical camera:
fungis.JPG
funghi.JPG
Cugel, funghi in the forest
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

This is a good little guide:
https://www.wildfooduk.com/mushroom-guide/

If you've got a camera on an Android phone, try Google Lens as well, that's normally pretty accurate. I'd still never pick any to eat, not only because of the issues around positive ID but also where they're being picked. There's a trail near mine (old railway line now a cycling and walking route) that is always great for fungi in autumn but the whole area is basically one big dog toilet!

Great photos Cugel!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Driving back from Spain via Andorra in 1964 we took a meal in a fungii restaurant. We managed Calais and home next day. Then I spent 3 weeks in bed sick as a dog with giant swellings all over my body. One doesnt know ones allergies. Fungii should be consumed cautiously I have decided.
I went on a days fungii course at Reading Uni, we collected 36 different species from nearby Wellington Park at this time of year.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

At one time I spent hours improving my funghi identification abilities, since i came across a lot of them when walking in various styles (ha ha) - fell, dog, A to B down often little-used footpaths. I have a degree of ability, and even became adept at taking spore prints - but the funghi world is highly diverse; even now, folk discover new varieties and some estimate we humans know only a small percentage of what's out there.

The fungus is primarily an underground or otherwise obscured threaded being, with the fruiting bodies (fine sexy term for fine sexy mushrooming things thrusting up from the earth, that) appearing only briefly to cast their spore. Being a visual feast, that's what catches our vision-centric attention.

Anyrodup, as with much else these days, I decided to stop learning the taxonomies, schemas and other tables of names and associations imposed upon out-there items by we humans, in favour of just looking. Somehow, the pleasure of funghi observations are enhanced by not bothering with the names and categories. You see the thing, not its label.

This approach even works with people. Ignore the label (often a lie anyway) and see the reality. Somehow the reality becomes more real without the names and labels.

Mind, what's "reality"? No one knows, really. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

Cugel wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 6:49pm
... I didn't pick any, even them nice red spotted items, which can take you orf on a ride that's nothing like a bicycle ride.
The first one is a cep, which I would certainly have picked and eaten if I'd seen it!

(It's generally agreed to be among the very best edible fungi. A member of the bolete family which distinctively have pores rather than gills under the cap. None of them are likely to kill you, though one or two can cause serious gastric upset, especially Rubroboletus satanas) which is quite distinctive in appearance and easily identified. Of course, some people may be allergic to normally harmless foods, so as stated earlier, caution is advisable.)