Funghi in the forest

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cugel

Re: Funghi in the forest

Post by Cugel »

nosmarbaj wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 11:25am
Cugel wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 6:49pm
... I didn't pick any, even them nice red spotted items, which can take you orf on a ride that's nothing like a bicycle ride.
The first one is a cep, which I would certainly have picked and eaten if I'd seen it!

(It's generally agreed to be among the very best edible fungi. A member of the bolete family which distinctively have pores rather than gills under the cap. None of them are likely to kill you, though one or two can cause serious gastric upset, especially Rubroboletus satanas) which is quite distinctive in appearance and easily identified. Of course, some people may be allergic to normally harmless foods, so as stated earlier, caution is advisable.)
Yes, the boletus or "penny bun" is a highly prized eater here and there. Myself, I prefer to leave the wild funghi in situ, though. More spore-spread, see?

When walking the dogs in the forest, we come across many a penny bun "root" where the collectors have been and cut off the fine flavoursome fungus. They go for quite a price to posh restaurants.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I ]found two or three Giant Puffballs in the grass at the side of a lane. I am afraid I took one home and we ate most of it, but it was about a foot in diameter, so it was too much to finish.
puffballs.jpg
puffballs.jpg (15.94 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
Not my photo.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 10:07pm ...
As an aside, I loathe the mowing of verges in the countryside. Rich people build massive houses, then promptly try and make them look as suburban as possible. If you want the live in the countryside, why turn it into acacia avenue??
+ many more than one.
It's a massive problem our village suffers from. People from towns move to a rural property as a lifestyle accessory rather than any appreciation for the countryside. And soon after the removal van has departed the CCTV is installed, the exterior floodlighting left on through the night, scorched earth the garden and turn a wildlife habitat into a Wimbledon finish lawn (killing off the hedgehogs, etc. that were living there). Cat(s) quickly kill off the smaller wildlife meaning Barn Owls, Buzzards, etc. all have to move elsewhere as they need to eat to survive.

And it's happening so often (in the village I live in) I've pretty well lost hope for UK countryside.

Ian
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Years ago, when I first joined our local Friends of the Earth group, one of our campaigns was to stop the local authority cutting back the road verges at the wrong time. I gather that many authorities are more enlightened nowadays, but I can see that they should not be allowed to become overgrown and visibility reducing.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 10:07pm
rjb wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 10:02pm Shaggy inkcap. Edible when young and delicious. Cooked of course not raw. Let us know if you liked it. :lol:
Funnily enough, the next day there was a spectacular rainbow and I stopped for a photo and with the thought of doing just that.

The buggers had mowed the verge! All gone.

As an aside, I loathe the mowing of verges in the countryside. Rich people build massive houses, then promptly try and make them look as suburban as possible. If you want the live in the countryside, why turn it into acacia avenue??
So true. Very often people buy detached houses in my area with huge trees and soon cut them down and cover the site with a lawn. I tell them they should have bought a town house with no garden but they just don't get it.
Last edited by Tiggertoo on 2 Oct 2022, 3:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

rjb wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 10:27pm Here's some I picked previously from the local cricket pitch.
DSCF0222.JPG

viewtopic.php?t=80166&start=60#p1646655
When I was at RAF Bircham Newton we would collect the mushrooms in the fields next the runway before breakfast, give them to the cooks in the mess, add them to the bacon and eggs, delicious!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Can anyone tell me what these are?

Safe to eat?

Pic taken on a lancashire bike ride.
IMG_20210831_131711755.jpg
Sweep
peetee

Post by peetee »

I spotted this huge colony this evening in local woodland.
18C1B42F-EFA8-4E76-AF9C-26E3A8A7F53D.jpeg
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

I'm a big fan of girolles. When we go to northern Spain we always go out on the hunt!
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Ceps are lovely, but super expensive in France
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Sweep wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 10:46pm Can anyone tell me what these are?

Safe to eat?

Pic taken on a lancashire bike ride.

IMG_20210831_131711755.jpg
I've no idea what they are but I would not trust an identification made from a photograph alone.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Saw these that have appeared on the lawn at an apiary in the last 8 days.
IMG_20221006_121509.jpg
IMG_20221006_121524.jpg
IMG_20221006_121540.jpg
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Ceps, essential for a nice mushroom rissoto. Get mine dried in jars from Waitrose :lol:

Al

(Not anything else though)
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
willp01908

Post by willp01908 »

Looking out for and collecting fungi is one of my favorite things to do on weekend potter on the bikes. Few things beat a big fry up of fresh mushrooms for lunch after a ride!
These are St Georges mushrooms -  the first good feed around here in the spring.
These are St Georges mushrooms - the first good feed around here in the spring.
Blewit - Usually end up drying loads of these and we`re still using last years - they`ll be around in a month or so.
Blewit - Usually end up drying loads of these and we`re still using last years - they`ll be around in a month or so.
For anyone interested in learning what`s safe to eat, I can recommend John Wright`s River Cottage handbook on the subject. It`s a good beginners book and will steer you in the right direction.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

We haven't been mushrooming for many years now: we got fed up bringing home 5 kilos of apparent beauties then cleaning & de-worming them for two hours and ending up with < 500 grammes. Got a few nice pics, though:

Lycoperdon perlatum: vesse-de-loup = wolf's fart in French, rather more poetic that the staid English puffball.

Coprinus comatus: coprin in French, shaggy ink-cap in English.

And again, plunging shot:
I can go to the ball, Mother, I just have to find my wig.

These are popping up merrily in the bit of our front jungle that I took the brush-cutter over last week.

Generic stump fungus, might be sulphur tuft but the colour isn't quite right:
This one was at the top of a col in the forest. Don't go there any more, the potholes are fierce (they grow teeth and bite tyres).
Have we got time for another cuppa?