Shaped socks

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Shaped socks

Post by Mick F »

Sorry for digressing. :wink:

The Raleigh Clubman was so good for me, I based my Mercian frame on the same geometry.
The Mercian designs came in basically the same dimensions, so I went with that. The Raleigh was reverted back to standard and sold, and the bits I'd added formed the basis of the Mercian's componentry.

As for the socks and the shorts ........... are we asking about shorts? ........... the socks were normal sports socks.
The shorts were "touring" shorts with pockets and a padded bum area. Bought in Dales Cycles in Plymouth. Actually very nice shorts indeed.

The shoes - if you want to ask :wink: - were flat-soled laced black leather. Can't remember where I bought them, but they slotted into the Raleigh pedals+clips and straps quite well.

As for socks, it matters not much to me. So long as they are comfortable and are short enough for summer use with shorts, and fit under bib tights ok .............. that's good enough for me.

I commuted for a few years in Scotland in shorts and bib tights depending on the season. 14miles each way in Western Scotland. Same sort of socks each and every ride.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

Dale's cycles? Did you mean Glasgow. There was a Devon Cycles on the corner in Frankfurt Gate. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mick F wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 3:58pm Sorry for digressing. :wink:

The Raleigh Clubman was so good for me, I based my Mercian frame on the same geometry.
The Mercian designs came in basically the same dimensions, so I went with that. The Raleigh was reverted back to standard and sold, and the bits I'd added formed the basis of the Mercian's componentry.

As for the socks and the shorts ........... are we asking about shorts? ........... the socks were normal sports socks.
The shorts were "touring" shorts with pockets and a padded bum area. Bought in Dales Cycles in Plymouth. Actually very nice shorts indeed.

The shoes - if you want to ask :wink: - were flat-soled laced black leather. Can't remember where I bought them, but they slotted into the Raleigh pedals+clips and straps quite well.

As for socks, it matters not much to me. So long as they are comfortable and are short enough for summer use with shorts, and fit under bib tights ok ...........

bib tights? :shock:
I am here. Where are you?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Perhaps he meant for his Codpiece. :lol:

Sorry I can't get the picture out of my head.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Dales Cycles Glasgow is where I bought the Clubman. On Dumbarton Rd (Partick?) but I understand they moved these days.
Devon Cycles was where I bought the shorts. They were in Frankfort Gate in town, but since closed and no longer exist.

Sorry, they both began with D :oops: :oops:

As for bib tights, I mean long legged tights with a bib front. First had them with strappy things that went under my feet/socks and then later a pair (I still have now) with zippy ankles that grip.

Socks?
I have only a couple of pairs these days. I spend most of my life in bare feet or sandals when I go out, and Shimano cycling sandals when I cycle. I've not worn shoes and socks since early March .......... cycling, walking, or socially. Bare feet usually domestically.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mick F wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 7:18pm Dales Cycles Glasgow is where I bought the Clubman. On Dumbarton Rd (Partick?) but I understand they moved these days.
Devon Cycles was where I bought the shorts. They were in Frankfort Gate in town, but since closed and no longer exist.

Sorry, they both began with D :oops: :oops:

As for bib tights, I mean long legged tights with a bib front. First had them with strappy things that went under my feet/socks and then later a pair (I still have now) with zippy ankles that grip.

Socks?
I have only a couple of pairs these days. I spend most of my life in bare feet or sandals when I go out, and Shimano cycling sandals when I cycle. I've not worn shoes and socks since early March .......... cycling, walking, or socially. Bare feet usually domestically.
You'll fit in around Glastonbury :lol: we saw fat Jesus walking down the street on one visit.
I am here. Where are you?
freiston

Post by freiston »

Cowsham wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 12:59am All my socks are the same girth from ankle up. If you've been cycling a while I won't need to tell you calves can get well developed.
My calves remained slim throughout my formative years when I cycled a lot and remain so now. The only time that they noticeably developed was when I wasn't cycling much but was walking about 10 miles a day Mon-Fri plus whatever I walked at weekends.

I've always considered well-developed calves to be nothing to do with cycling but everything to do with walking/running. This has got me to wondering if there is a significant issue of style or technique at play. When I was young, I would often push a high gear and cycled mainly on the flat; nowadays I spin, often in a low gear (sub 40") and average about 80ft up and down per mile.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)