Shaped socks

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cowsham

Shaped socks

Post by Cowsham »

All my socks are the same girth from ankle up. If you've been cycling a while I won't need to tell you calves can get well developed over time.

Does anyone know if you can buy a shaped sock to accommodate a developed calf muscle or do I just buy larger socks?
I am here. Where are you?
cyclop

Re: Shaped socks

Post by cyclop »

Do you need socks that cover your calves or do you mean an ankle sock?If the latter,I,m using "Galibier"brand,a good priced sock,well made,stretchy,wearing well.Ankle measurement :9" taken 2" above the ankle bone on a flexed foot i.e.a tensed calf.,metric size 230mm taken 50mm. above ankle bone.Hope this helps.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

cyclop wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 8:05am Do you need socks that cover your calves or do you mean an ankle sock?If the latter,I,m using "Galibier"brand,a good priced sock,well made,stretchy,wearing well.Ankle measurement :9" taken 2" above the ankle bone on a flexed foot i.e.a tensed calf.,metric size 230mm taken 50mm. above ankle bone.Hope this helps.
Thanks Cyclop -- I'd rather have socks that are normal length say about halfway up calf but most are quite tight at the top and pinch a bit -- I get used to it during the day or they are stretching a little but I thought wouldn't it be nice if socks were tailored to the shape of your leg for comfort.

Ankle socks are OK in summer but winter up here can be harsh. Also I find they sometimes disappear down into my shoes forming a lump below my heel which is very uncomfortable and cold.

Maybe it's only a cyclist thing and numbers/price dictates. Socks for everyday use not just for cycling is what I'm after but if I have to buy some breed of cycle sock then so be it.
jois

Post by jois »

Cowsham wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 12:59am All my socks are the same girth from ankle up. If you've been cycling a while I won't need to tell you calves can get well developed over time.

Does anyone know if you can buy a shaped sock to accommodate a developed calf muscle or do I just buy larger socks?
Footballers have big calf muscles, try football socks
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Will football socks meet the UCI sock length requirements ?
Personally I hate full length socks they are either too tight or fall down. 3” above the ankle is my preference.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
jois

Post by jois »

Paulatic wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 9:26am Will football socks meet the UCI sock length requirements ?
Personally I hate full length socks they are either too tight or fall down. 3” above the ankle is my preference.
I've no idea what UCI sock requiremts are, but that didn't seem to be in his question, just generous fit.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Socks are a Class A narcotic in UCI world.
https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/gea ... your-case/
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I have some "cycling specific" socks from Prendas which are shaped left and right, but they don't seem especially roomy in the calf. They're not that long anyway. And TBH they're not that comfy.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

jois wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 9:33am [

I've no idea what UCI sock requiremts are,
Blimey
Call yourself a cyclist :lol:

E2E info
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Paulatic wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 9:26am 3” above the ankle is my preference.
Would that be classed as an ankle sock or would an ankle sock be lower? I remember trying ankle socks when I was young and ruled them out then.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Cowsham wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 12:59am All my socks are the same girth from ankle up. If you've been cycling a while I won't need to tell you calves can get well developed over time.
38 years on two wheels and I’m still waiting. :lol:
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

3" or so is my preference for socks too.
Lidl or any shop, does it for me. I have two or three pairs of white ones.
Only wear them in the cooler/colder weather as I'm in cycling sandals for six months of the year. As the weather becomes cooler/colder I'll wear cycling shoes and socks with shorts, and it needs to be quite chilly before I wear my bib longs ........... same shoes and socks.

This is me in Portsmouth New Hampshire USA in 1986! :D
Portsmouth NH.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I like that photo, Mick F.

But the socks are of a past time!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Cowsham wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 3:05pm
Paulatic wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 9:26am 3” above the ankle is my preference.
Would that be classed as an ankle sock or would an ankle sock be lower? I remember trying ankle socks when I was young and ruled them out then.
Good Question.
I’ve had to Google and apparently mid crew length.
E89568FB-5FD6-4DBB-A5CA-B7677510FD99.jpeg

E2E info
Steve

Post by Steve »

Have you considered socks for diabetic people? They have loose cuffs so as not to impede circulation.