Shimergo for a turbo trainer...?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
RC

Shimergo for a turbo trainer...?

Post by RC »

Hi all,
Following a nasty injury (quad tendon rupture) there is a lot of turbo training in my future. I have my eye on turbo trainer which can take 8 to 11 speed Shimano/SRAM, but not Campagnolo. My group set is Campag 10 speed from 2010.

Is there a way of getting it to work (fairly easily?) with a shimano cassette without lots of extra expense? Cheers.
Steve O'C

Re: Shimergo for a turbo trainer...?

Post by Steve O'C »

Sorry to hear about your injury. I would have thought this would work:

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s150p21 ... lo-spacing

However not cheap and "stock is limited"
Steve
drossall

Post by drossall »

Or use a JTek ShiftMate. There's a general discussion on the Shimergo page. Any option with Campag Ergos and derailleurs and Shimano cassette ought to work. I have ShiftMates on at least three bikes (well, two and a trike). There are models for lots of different combinations.
RC

Post by RC »

Thanks both, either option looks good, the Shimano splined Campag cassette looks like it might be the simplest. I'm a way off being able to sit on a trainer yet, but all going well will be able to put one of these ideas to use in a couple of months.
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

Have you checked the option to just swap the freehub body as it's possible on some trainers ?
RC

Post by RC »

Re. Freehub, yes having a look the Kickr trainers do for about £60...so far the shift mate looks like it might be the most economical (but still liking the idea of the Shimano splined cassette, not sure why this isn't used more!).
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

When you take the frame off the trainer and refit your Campag rear wheel you would have to remove the Shiftmate. This will chew up the gear cable because the Shiftmate will induce a kink, and need the indexing resetting. The Ambrosio cassette would be my choice.

I use the Ambrosio cassette happily, and in the past I have used the Shiftmate, but both on permanent installations.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I fitted a 10 speed Shimano wheel in place of a 10 speed Campag wheel and, with a slight adjustment, it worked fine. The difference between Campag' and Shimano 10s pitch is 0.2 mm per sprocket.
[over 10 sprockets that would be 2mm error. Set on the middle sprocket it would be only be 1mm at each end. Would you use all the sprockets on a trainer any way ? ]
If you can get hold of an old 10s Shimano cassette (or Sram etc.) it may be worth a try.
You could also try a 9s Shimano/Sram cassette but I'm not sure if chain width would be a problem.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

With Campag 10s levers and rear derailleur, you could use a rear wheel with a Shimano 9s cassette.
This will work, as it does for me and my three bikes (over many years).