Sourcing and swapping nutted brake bolts - Tektro 559

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
deejayen

Sourcing and swapping nutted brake bolts - Tektro 559

Post by deejayen »

I need two front brakes due to the frame thickness of my recumbent, and because the Tektro 559's are sold in pairs I've bought two pairs.

However, it would be nice if I could convert one of the rear brakes by fitting a longer bolt.

Is this possible, and if so, where can I buy parts, and how difficult a job is it?
LuckyLuke

Re: Sourcing and swapping nutted brake bolts - Tektro 559

Post by LuckyLuke »

Hiya,

SJS sell the very bolt:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/jtek ... onversion/

I’ve done this before. I got some help from someone’s blog, they’d taken pics and written instructions. Can’t find it now, annoyingly.

Best wishes,

Luke
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

Thanks very much, Luke.

I actually phoned SJS Cycles and Spa Cycles before ordering, and they both said the only solution was to buy two pairs of brakes!
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

If you search Tektro 599 on e Bay there's a brand new pair currently under £8 with 3 days to go, and there's bolts advertised but they are in Germany , comes in at just over £12 including postage for one , probably same postage for 2, the bolt itself is just under £4.50 ( See below too re SJS and compatibility)

PS Just followed the SJS link, there's a note that says their replacement bolt doesn't work with 599's .

And the SPA link, (see Colin below) looks like the SJS offering has same thread both ends, however, the SJS caveat mentions differing threads so might not be compatible ?

Can you find a friendly machine shop to copy the bolt ?

Or E Bay the surplus brakes , ( or have a look at On Three Wheels my fast forum, Trikes are often in need of long drop brakes for the extended brake fitting nose on a trike and a 'rear' fits the bill. )
Last edited by Barrowman on 5 Oct 2022, 9:49am, edited 4 times in total.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

https://spacycles.co.uk/m7b0s100p2341/S ... erter-Bolt

Most of a lifetime since I had more than a passing look at a sidepull brake, but is it this?
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

Thanks for pointing out that the Jtek one wouldn't work.

I actually ended up ordering the brakes from Spa - I'm not sure if they've posted them yet. However, I don't think they thought the bolt would work - perhaps because it's M7/M6 and not M8/M6 (as in the note on the SJS site.
---
I've just phoned Spa and the guy I spoke to this time thought it should work, so he's going to add one to my order.
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

There's also the German e Bay replacement bolt option if that doesn't work.
Fingers crossed 👍🤞