Having a break from riding in winter

TrevA

Having a break from riding in winter

Post by TrevA »

I personally ride all year round, perhaps having the odd week or fortnight off here and there. There are others ( particularly @jois) who think having a break in winter is beneficial. I find having a break just sets me back to the extent that it takes me quite a while to get back to fitness.

What do others do?
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mjr

Re: Having a break from riding in winter

Post by mjr »

Ride all year. Studded tyres if icy. The bike is transport, not only a hobby.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

All year. When I had a break (several months) for non-choice reasons it took me forever to get back my fitness and I think I'm still a long way behind where I was before the break.

I did a bit of internet searching and many of the more reliable sites seem to have reports about how fast your muscles can lose form and it was surprising. Plus, maybe just urban myth but many do say as you get older it gets a lot harder to regain muscle.

Ian
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

All year, family commitments, wellbeing, and weather permitting.

I don’t rack-up huge mileages (I could cover more if I wasn’t addicted to cycling on obscure bridleways!) , but the regular exercise is hugely important to physical and mental wellbeing.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

"Winter miles count double!" as the old saying goes ...

Well I don't think that is QUITE true. But I do think that just ticking over thru the winter makes your return to spring form a LOT faster than for the people who do nothing in the crappy months.

[I'm lucky - I've chosen a job I can ride to all-year round, barring occasional freak conditions. 'snot far, but those 10 short rides a week keep the legs able-n-willing :-) ]
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Any break in winter is usually enforced by ice and snow. Here in Scotland that can often be more than a few days.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Debs

Post by Debs »

I feel a need to get out on my bike at least thrice a week, and all year round.
This maybe the activity that prevents me from going insane.

Although, i have long since giving up feeling a need to prove anything going out in the worst of weathers;
to include temperatures below zero, gale force winds, snow, rain etc

There are always plenty of nice winter days just waiting there for the venture, and it's fine to take a week off too, especially if the weather has turned really horrid, and this gives one a chance to catch up with the housework.

One of my neighbours never goes out on his bike in winter, he peddles on a turbo-trainer inside his garage.
At least this keeps the bike clean and no risk of accidents or fear of breakdowns miles from home.
I have a turbo-trainer but find it too boring, and need to get outside...
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

Nearholmer wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 1:35pm All year, family commitments, wellbeing, and weather permitting.

I don’t rack-up huge mileages (I could cover more if I wasn’t addicted to cycling on obscure bridleways!) , but the regular exercise is hugely important to physical and mental wellbeing.
I don't stop cycling for any month..why would you?

You are spot on with the wellbeing Nearholmer. I have got to the stage now of feeling grumpy if I don't get out. I am "post ride" at the moment having ignored the forecast this morning and am basking in the post ride endorphine "glow" drinking a coffee in my local Costa. We didn't evolve to be caged animals...for me there is an almost instant buzz getting on the bike..everything fits..the controls fall to hand..let's go..:-)
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

I usually take month of December off. Mostly I use it to socialize more and take care all the odd jobs I've been ignoring the rest of the year!
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

mjr wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 1:13pm Ride all year. Studded tyres if icy. The bike is transport, not only a hobby.
+1
Studded tyres are quite new to me but have proved a revelation these last two winters.
geomannie
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I ride all year which doesn't mean i don't have time off the bike but there is no set week/month, depends on the weather, holiday/travel choices etc, this year i've had a couple of no bike weeks - one to visit my daughter & family, the second whilst i languished in bed with Covid, there may be a third over Xmas but thats not decided yet.

I do find that the odd week off the bike helps me keep my riding in perspective, its easy to get so totally wrapped up in riding that everything starts to revolve about doing the ride. Unless you spend it in total sloth, a week or even fortnight off won't set you back by much, i'm usually back after a couple of rides. However, any longer and IME you'll need double the time off to get back to where you were. Simply cutting back on duration and intensity won't impact your fitness too much, this is the line most competitive cyclists take and mix things up a bit with a bit of trail riding for example.

This is especially important as we get older, regaining lost fitness may never happen as we are less likely to want or even be able to put in the required effort.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

I too ride all year, though four years living in town, have resulted in-town journeys being on foot (Nb. Small, compact town, only a twenty minute walk from one side to another). Though winter rides are invariably shorter, doubt if I've ever done anything over 45/50 miles in winter (Nb. Most probably being much shorter, 20-30 miles)
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

I ride more in winter than any other time.

Fat bike, studded when required, good lights for night riding.

But I do live in Scotland.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I'll ride in winter but I definitely don't enjoy the cold.
I don't ride if there is ice - partly because there is an increasedrisk of a fall and I'm that age when I don't bounce as well as in my youth.
The other reason is that some drivers don't seem to recognise there is a greater risk of a skid - it's an interesting experience watching a car lose traction and go into a spin. I don't want to be near when that happens.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

I just don't see the point in cycling on the short days, with little available failing daylight and the ever present threat of ice and snow.

Who needs it!? :lol: