Having a break from riding in winter

PeterJ

Re: Having a break from riding in winter

Post by PeterJ »

I'll happily ride in the cold, but not in wind and/or rain. I've recently taken out gym membership, partly because of this and partly to strengthen my legs.

I've realised that when I'm cycling outdoors my legs are only putting in significant effort about 30% of the time (I like to take in the countryside) whereas 50 minutes on the stepper, stationary bike, treadmill and Nordic ski thingy gives me a proper workout.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Dingdong wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 4:33pm I just don't see the point in cycling on the short days, with little available failing daylight and the ever present threat of ice and snow.

Who needs it!? :lol:
As you get older so you tend to lose muscle faster (or more readily) and it then takes longer and more work to regain your previous levels (if you can get back there). so for me (at my age) part of cycling through the winter is to maintain muscle/fitness. And although I avoid strong winds and rain, there are plenty of non-windy/rainy days and you can get some really nice days.

Ian
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Psamathe wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 5:34pm
Dingdong wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 4:33pm I just don't see the point in cycling on the short days, with little available failing daylight and the ever present threat of ice and snow.

Who needs it!? :lol:
As you get older so you tend to lose muscle faster (or more readily) and it then takes longer and more work to regain your previous levels (if you can get back there). so for me (at my age) part of cycling through the winter is to maintain muscle/fitness. And although I avoid strong winds and rain, there are plenty of non-windy/rainy days and you can get some really nice days.

Ian
and whats wrong with a bit of wind? Lovely day today, sunshine, blue skies, mid teens - great for a ride but there was a stiff wind which. it would seem would put you off. I had a great day, @ 70 miles with a route curated to avoid riding into the wind too much :wink:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

you can get some really nice days.
That was something that surprised me when I ceased full-time work and had more time for cycling. Winters when commuting are constantly dark, usually cold, and often raining, because of the horrible times at which commuting takes place, whereas there are actually a decent number of days when it’s bright, sunny even, during those precious light hours in the middle of the day.

TBH, I now don’t really count it as ‘winter’ from a cycling perspective until mid-December, with January and a February being the months when finding decent days usually gets really challenging.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

I'm lucky to be spending most of the winter in northern Italy (thanks to my creative and successful son!) and October/November really are my favourite months. You can pick your days, and today for instance was a lovely, balmy 24C overcast and no wind. Probably perfect cycling conditions. I do not envy a winter in Leicester.... :lol:
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Nearholmer wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 6:38pm
you can get some really nice days.
That was something that surprised me when I ceased full-time work and had more time for cycling. Winters when commuting are constantly dark, usually cold, and often raining, because of the horrible times at which commuting takes place, whereas there are actually a decent number of days when it’s bright, sunny even, during those precious light hours in the middle of the day.

TBH, I now don’t really count it as ‘winter’ from a cycling perspective until mid-December, with January and a February being the months when finding decent days usually gets really challenging.
This was something I also found upon retirement. When at work, I’d look out of the window and see great weather, but come the weekend the weather would be awful. Now, after retirement, I can pick and choose the days when I ride. You do sometimes get longer spells of bad weather, but more often than not there will be 3-4 days a week, when it’s a pleasure to be outside on the bike, even in the depths of winter. I also use a turbo to supplement my winter riding, for when the weather is too bad to ride outside.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
toontra

Post by toontra »

As mentioned above, as we get older a couple of months completely off the bike will take a good while to "recover" from - i.e. regain the fitness lost. I' m not going to ride when it's icy - just not worth the risk of serious injury, and if it's really cold & wet it simply isn't fun for me so I'll avoid anything other than necessary commuting & shopping.

This is where indoor trainers come into their own. I've actually improved my fitness over the winter months since the first lockdown by doing interval sessions and some simulated rides. Not as much fun as being outdoors, granted, but come the spring I feel ready to get outside with renewed enthusiasm.
Littgull

Post by Littgull »

I agree about not worth the risk of serious injury by cycling on icy surfaces. But tbh since climate change has ramped up it's unlikely to get icy conditions in the UK for any more than 10 days a year for anywhere in the UK south of Cumbria.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I only get fully up to speed in the winter, its the summer where I can struggle to keep my mileage up, the heat just drains me.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

My brother spends every winter in Portugal since he's retired. He says the cost of heating and electricity, especially with it nearly doubling, factoring in the low cost of living out there (they can eat out 3 courses for 8 euro a day, and travel 70km in each direction by bus or train for 1 euro) it's effectively cheaper than living in the UK.

He's out cycling today in 24C beautiful sunshine, I wonder if this will become a 'thing' amongst people who don't have to go to work every day or are digital nomads and can work online?
ed.lazda

Post by ed.lazda »

As Greg Lemond might have said about riding in windy weather -- it doesn't get harder, you just go slower.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Some years back I made a new year's resolution to ride a few miles every day of the year when at home. This lasted less than two weeks, I just couldn't face the high wind and driving rain.
I ride as often as i can and some weeks it's every day but not every week if the weather is poor. I find when I'm away for two weeks getting back on the bike is a challenge and anything more than 10 miles becomes very tiring.
This year I'll struggle to get my usual 5000 miles in due to this summer's intense heat and visitors all the time.
I used to fret about it but told myself cycling is supposed to be relaxing so just cycle when it fits in.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

ed.lazda wrote: 9 Oct 2022, 11:47am As Greg Lemond might have said about riding in windy weather -- it doesn't get harder, you just go slower.
Poof. What does he know!? In practice, one doesn't want to go slower, especially if cycling home from far away, over the hills (or worse, across a vast exposed flatland) well past tea time. One tries harder whilst having feelings that the world is against you (because it is - well, the airy part is). Happily, it feels much nicer than usual when it stops, as you reach your door and (with luck) smell the pie just come out of the oven.

Anyway, I thought that Lemond took an orthogonal approach and put them tri-bars on his bike to counter the wind?

Cugel, veteran of many a long ride home across The Fylde at the mercy of a bitter north easter of 16.2mph or even more.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
mjr

Post by mjr »

Littgull wrote: 8 Oct 2022, 10:49pm I agree about not worth the risk of serious injury by cycling on icy surfaces. But tbh since climate change has ramped up it's unlikely to get icy conditions in the UK for any more than 10 days a year for anywhere in the UK south of Cumbria.
People still need to get places even when there is some ice.

We've had two frosts in the fens already, so I doubt your forecast. Climate change means more extreme and faster changes, not only warmer.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cheshire Lad

Post by Cheshire Lad »

I tend to try and cycle throughout the winter where I can. However if the weather is bad I don’t beat myself up about not being able to get out. I only tend to ride a max of 3 times a week if the weather is decent. The one thing I do over winter is join a gym, usually on a rolling month contract and cancel it in spring. If the weather is bad I then go and do a spin class (turbo at home has never appealed to me) plus I also do some circuit classes which encourages me to use my upper body which gets neglected if all you do is ride a bike. I’ve just had 3 weeks away where it wasn’t possible to ride and enjoyed the break. Each to their own I guess but this approach works for me.