That's a lot of old ships !!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Re: That's a lot of old ships !!

Post by Mike Sales »

Audax67 wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 1:09pm
The case my school slide rule came in was made of Harland & Wolff steel of the same vintage as Titanic. I don't think H&W knew that, though.

Some years ago they were flogging off old chunks of H&W scrap at tourist prices, but my grandfather made the case when he worked there. His son and then my father used it.
The steel plate from the hull of the Titanic was nominally 1.875 cm thick, while the bulkhead plate had a thickness of 1.25 cm.
Sounds like a hefty slide rule case!
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Grldtnr

Post by Grldtnr »

I have an excellent all round vision from the helm of my little ship, mind you ,it's only 15ft long on deck ,but with the Bo'sprit & bumpkin, it's much longer, easy to undhi0 the bumpkin, the 'sprit is more involved, but I rarely visitatina berths, I either lie to the anchor or beach the boat.
I desperately avoid Wreckers tho'.
A laid back, low down, layabout recumbent triker!
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

That map reminds me of the Ordnance Survey sheet of the Dark Peak they had on the wall in Crowden hostel. It had all the plane crashes marked on it, there were about 50 IIRC, not least, the B29 on Bleaklow.

I remember seeing a lot of wreckage on the shores when I was walking the South West Coast Path, including the Johanna broken in two on the rocks at Hartland Point.

During the summer months they race Thames Sailing Barges in a series of matches down the east coast here. Back in my photography days I used to go out with the Maldon Barge Match on the Blackwater estuary, the pictures to be had on the water are much better than anything you can get from the shore. I have hundreds of photos of 'em, very photogenic.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
pwa

Post by pwa »

axel_knutt wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 12:45am That map reminds me of the Ordnance Survey sheet of the Dark Peak they had on the wall in Crowden hostel. It had all the plane crashes marked on it, there were about 50 IIRC, not least, the B29 on Bleaklow.

I remember seeing a lot of wreckage on the shores when I was walking the South West Coast Path, including the Johanna broken in two on the rocks at Hartland Point.

During the summer months they race Thames Sailing Barges in a series of matches down the east coast here. Back in my photography days I used to go out with the Maldon Barge Match on the Blackwater estuary, the pictures to be had on the water are much better than anything you can get from the shore. I have hundreds of photos of 'em, very photogenic.
It's a similar story in the Brecon Beacons, where you can find a bit of Wellington bomber or whatever sticking out of the peat.

Locally, we have a few bits of shipwreck sticking out of the sand. One at Sker Point dates from 1947 and involved the loss of 47 men, including lifboat crew.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... t-12888599
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Grldtnr wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 10:43pm I have an excellent all round vision from the helm of my little ship, mind you ,it's only 15ft long on deck ,but with the Bo'sprit & bumpkin, it's much longer, easy to undhi0 the bumpkin, the 'sprit is more involved, but I rarely visitatina berths, I either lie to the anchor or beach the boat.
I desperately avoid Wreckers tho'.
Sounds a fun boat. What is it? Can you give us a photo please?
Grldtnr

Post by Grldtnr »

My boat is a Drascombe Dabber, it ain't fast but I love it, it gets me where I want without fuss, in a no -no sense Drascombe way.
A laid back, low down, layabout recumbent triker!
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Grldtnr wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 12:21pm My boat is a Drascombe Dabber, it ain't fast but I love it, it gets me where I want without fuss, in a no -no sense Drascombe way.
Ta.
I know them. Good for the sort of sailing I enjoy, pottering round the rocks.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

@Mike Sales, I tried to PM you but it wasn't available
Did you employ your skills on the 1911 Lakes Waterbird?
Lovely work 👍
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Mick F wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 10:49am
HMS's Achilles, Gurkha, Ambuscade, Sirius, Marlborough, Argyll. Joined Achilles in March 1971 and left my last ship Argyll in December 1995.
Quite a bit of overlap with father's service but no shared ships ( I may have missed one but Tiger, Hermes, Penelope, Andromeda, Ark Royal, Leander ). I suspect the way the Navy has shrunk that couldn't happen these days
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Mike Sales wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 8:14pm
Morbid I call it.
Not if you were ashore. There is the St Just prayer which goes something like

"Oh Lord please protect all those in danger on the sea
But if they must be wrecked oh Lord then let it be in St Just parish"