Sturmey 5 speed shifter issues

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Baron Von Scheele

Sturmey 5 speed shifter issues

Post by Baron Von Scheele »

I've just bought a mint Pashley Speed 5 second hand. Works great on the flat, but as soon as I start cranking up a hill it auto changes down from 1st into 2nd then 3rd, etc. I have isolated it to the shifter, as, if I hold the shifter in position with my thumb it works fine, so the hub itself is fine. I've also read lots of reviews about the SL C50 thumb shifter being problematic. I have calibrated the hub, and confirmed the cable is fine, etc. My question is, shall I just replace it for another, like for like? Or does anyone know if the TS C50 Twist grip SA shifter would fit on the pashley speed 5 handlebars along with the brooks grips plus brake lever? I have read many reports of the twist grip fixing the problem, even though aesthetically it's a step backwards.

Many thanks
Nearholmer

Re: Sturmey 5 speed shifter issues

Post by Nearholmer »

I had great trouble with the 5-speed on my "shopping bike" (a Pashley parabike derivative) while it was fitted with the twist-grip shifter, but then fitted an SL S50 thumb shifter, which has transformed its behaviour. Its still a stodgy old thing to ride, but at least it stays in the gear selected.

You may need to check the match between the particular 5-speed model fitted and the shifter you need, but based on my experience the twist-grip is a thing to be avoided, and I dont think Pashley fit them any longer. IIRC, SJS Cyles website helps you get the match; it was certainly them that i ordered from.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-shifte ... er-hsj959/