Clip-on tt bars for a Ribble ultra slr?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Thomason93

Clip-on tt bars for a Ribble ultra slr?

Post by Thomason93 »

Apologies guys if this is a stupid thing to ask. Im a learner shall we say . Am I right in thinking I can't just buy any and expect it to fit around the carbon handle bars?

Ribble do some extensions grips but they are oval shaped and I don't think I would benefit.

Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
cycleruk

Re: Clip-on tt bars for a Ribble ultra slr?

Post by cycleruk »

There are various styles and it's just a case of getting the right size to fit.
These are similar to mine:-
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/pri ... prod192331
These fit close to the stem and you may have to juggle the brake/gear cables around the brackets.
Other makes and styles available. Search "Aero Bars".
You'll never know if you don't try it.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

The generic clip on bars usually go on round bars. If your bars are aero all the way through, then no, they won't fit. You need the 31.8 section by the stem to be round and have a good couple of inches of round either side of the stem to fit them to. The make/brand of bike isn't relevant. What handlebars are fitted to yours (they have to be rated for clip ons also) ? Ribble will change that sort of spec all the time, so their website isn't much use.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Thomason93

Post by Thomason93 »

Am I right in thinking some tri bars won't fit because they won't fit tight to the carbon?
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

That's a completely proprietary set of bars, specific to Ribble.
Your best bet is to ask Ribble if they make any TT bar clips ons for it although I wouldn't be surprised if they tell you it'll ruin an already optimised aero position / geometry anyway or they simply don't make anything to fit.

DO NOT try bodging generic aero bars to it!
Thomason93

Post by Thomason93 »

They do a small oval shaped clip on for £100. Not the typical shape you would expect