Camino de santiago - camping or hostels?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
HarryD

Re: Camino de santiago - camping or hostels?

Post by HarryD »

From Santiago we made up the route as we went along. I understand the is a marked route but I’ve no details. Once at the coast we either followed it or cut across the peninsulas depending on where we planned to stay and the weather. Most of which was hot and sunny. The Michelin Zoom map 141 we found to be very unreliable. Today there are so many good maps on line which should help. Keeping to smaller roads our route was:

Santiago to Muros via the AC543 and AC308 visiting Noia on the way
Muros to Fisterra/Finisterre on the coast road
Fisterra to Muxia starting by doubling back to Sardineiro de Abaixo then inland and coast
Muxia to Malpica
Malpica to A Coruna along the coast. Lots of very small roads, tracks, cyclable paths close to the sea. Snook up on the city from the north west
A Coruna to As Pontes de Garcia Rodrigues. Didn’t fancy cycling out of A Coruna so got the train to Cabanas near Pontedeume. At the time not many trains took bikes so we got a late start
As Pontes to Viveiro via Granas
From Viveiro we took the FEVE/ Cercania back to our start point of Pravia . There appears to be a network of minor road that largely avoid the National road and once you get to Ribadeo there is the Camino del Norte which can be followed in reverse

We stayed in small hotels and pensions. Not a huge choice, but enough. A very fondly remembered tour
Ayseven

Re: Camino de santiago - camping or hostels?

Post by Ayseven »

My other half walked a good part of the French part this year, staying in gites (B+Bs). Not the absolute cheapest but no snorers either. Very reasonably priced holiday though, overall. As a rule, they did NOT take credit cards, but bank transfers, which, if you don't know anybody in France, can be expensive.