British Cycling and Shell?

Post by Philip Benstead »

Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
simonineaston

Re: British Cycling and Shell?

Post by simonineaston »

Unless my understanding of the fossil fuel industry is way off mark, this seems a very peculiar tie-up and sends a bizarre message indeed. The benefits to cyclists in general are hard to discern. Sounds like greenwashing to me.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Sweep

British Cycling partners with Shell

Post by Sweep »

The official line on it

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/artic ... nouncement

My o my.

a second's search of google news will show certain other views of this.

Have long seen British Cycling as a laboratory of bullying.

And having bugger all to do with my idea of cycling.

But this really takes the biscuit.

Long running partnership they have signed up to.

Wonder how much credibility they will have left to scrape off the track by the time it finishes.

If anyone would care to ask them any questions about this innovative hook-up:

membership@britishcycling.org.uk

Other contacts here:

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/about ... Contact-Us
Sweep
Mike Sales

Re: British Cycling partners with Shell

Post by Mike Sales »

Should increase Cycling UK membership.
My renewal is coming up in a month or so. So I've taken out a Cycling UK membership now, for pretty much the same reasons. The Shell link up just looks awful, even if they think they're doing it for positive reasons (*cough cough money cough*) their PR Dept seem to be hell bent on driving them into the ground. I can only assume that they're actually owned by Rees-Mogg's Hedge Fund or something....

So I cancelled my BC direct debit after their "guidance" that I shouldn't go for a bike ride during somebody's funeral. If I hadn't I would be doing over this.

I joined BC for the insurance, but also because at the time Chris Boardman was still there and involved in campaigning for better safety/ infrastructure for recreational cyclists.

Now they do no campaigning I am aware of and seem to be hell bent on tarnishing the reputation of cyclists with every announcment.

Cycling UK membership offers similar insurance benefits and will save me £40 a year for my family.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Mike Sales wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 9:19am Should increase Cycling UK membership.
My renewal is coming up in a month or so. So I've taken out a Cycling UK membership now, for pretty much the same reasons. The Shell link up just looks awful, even if they think they're doing it for positive reasons (*cough cough money cough*) their PR Dept seem to be hell bent on driving them into the ground. I can only assume that they're actually owned by Rees-Mogg's Hedge Fund or something....

So I cancelled my BC direct debit after their "guidance" that I shouldn't go for a bike ride during somebody's funeral. If I hadn't I would be doing over this.

I joined BC for the insurance, but also because at the time Chris Boardman was still there and involved in campaigning for better safety/ infrastructure for recreational cyclists.

Now they do no campaigning I am aware of and seem to be hell bent on tarnishing the reputation of cyclists with every announcment.

Cycling UK membership offers similar insurance benefits and will save me £40 a year for my family.
Cycling UK might not be perfect, but ‘it’s an ill wind that blows no good’. Has BC become (reverted to?) purely a governing body for competitive sport?
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Mike Sales wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 9:19am Should increase Cycling UK membership.

yep - not as if they are appear to be short of backers - front page shows HSBC, lottery backed, various others.

It really is all beyond satire.

I think there are anti shell stickers around - can see a ready market for stickers trashing the Shell/BC coupling for folks to stick on their bikes.

Shell of course has a long track record of this sort of thing.

BC clearly wants a bit of the action.
Sweep
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Thought they lost HSBC as partners?

And yes, appears to be good news for cyclingUK
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Stevek76 wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 9:49am Thought they lost HSBC as partners?
their logo was showing when I looked this morning.

maybe an old page?

One wonders who they are going to partner with next?

A SUV brand?
Sweep
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

ah you're right. Was something I'd read on t'internets. Unless it's that hsbc have declined to support beyond their present 8 year partnership? (which should end 2025)
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Stevek76 wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 10:32am ah you're right. Was something I'd read on t'internets. Unless it's that hsbc have declined to support beyond their present 8 year partnership? (which should end 2025)
or maybe you misread the story and HSBC decided that British Cycling is so toxic that they don't want to be associated with them?
Sweep
awavey

Post by awavey »

Stevek76 wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 10:32am ah you're right. Was something I'd read on t'internets. Unless it's that hsbc have declined to support beyond their present 8 year partnership? (which should end 2025)
HSBC pulled (exercised a break option in the deal) out in 2020 or would have done, but then kind of agreed to carry on because of the impact of Covid and the delayed Olympics, so the deal ended end of 2021 officially I think.

the UK lottery logo, thats the UK Sport/Sport England grants BC receives alot of which goes to fund the GBCT.
awavey

Post by awavey »

Philip Benstead wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 7:01am Is this good or bad?

its bad for BC I think for lots of reasons, the deal maybe for 8 years, but Id be amazed if it eventually lasts that long, not that I suspect a deal with Shell comes with buyers remorse clause, but their announcement has been ratio'd to hell on social media for sure, whether that translates into mass reductions in members or an impact that BC find unsustainable moving forward we might have to wait a year or two to see.

might make the AGM a bit spicy though next month
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

awavey wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 10:05pm

its bad for BC I think for lots of reasons, the deal maybe for 8 years, but Id be amazed if it eventually lasts that long, not that I suspect a deal with Shell comes with buyers remorse clause, but their announcement has been ratio'd to hell on social media for sure, whether that translates into mass reductions in members or an impact that BC find unsustainable moving forward we might have to wait a year or two to see.

It also seems to have been reported in a lot of the popular tradition press.

seem to remember I even saw something in the Sun which didn't make them look too good - or at least reported lots of criticism of them.

If British Cycling manages to back down on this (after the funeral fiasco) they are going to be ahead of Truss.

And maybe be emboldened to go for the hat-trick.

I note that the head of Brit Cycling Shell Big Oil has the title Chief Executive Officer.

all very corporate.

Maybe the bloke who had a lot of input into this bright idea/commercial coup is this geezer - text from British Cycling Big Oil web page:

@@@

Darren Henry – Commercial Director
Darren joined British Cycling in 2021 from Premier League football club Southampton FC, with a clear focus on developing and enhancing British Cycling’s long-term growth, sustainability and brand.

As Commercial Director, he is responsible for the development and execution of the British Cycling commercial strategy, securing commercial partnerships, promoting the development of our membership offer and maximising opportunities from major cycling events.

Prior to joining British Cycling, Darren worked in various commercial leadership roles at leading sporting organisations including Manchester United, IMG Golf, Harlequins FC, London Irish FC and sports marketing agency Two Circles.

@@@

edit - here - The Irish Sun maybe

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/9544739/bri ... rtnership/
Sweep
awavey

Post by awavey »

Sweep wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 10:20pm
awavey wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 10:05pm

It also seems to have been reported in a lot of the popular tradition press.

seem to remember I even saw something in the Sun which didn't make them look too good - or at least reported lots of criticism of them.

If British Cycling manages to back down on this (after the funeral fiasco) they are going to be ahead of Truss.

And maybe be emboldened to go for the hat-trick.

I note that the head of Brit Cycling Shell Big Oil has the title Chief Executive Officer.

all very corporate.

Maybe the bloke who had a lot of input into this bright idea/commercial coup is this geezer - text from British Cycling Big Oil web page:

@@@

Darren Henry – Commercial Director
Darren joined British Cycling in 2021 from Premier League football club Southampton FC, with a clear focus on developing and enhancing British Cycling’s long-term growth, sustainability and brand.

As Commercial Director, he is responsible for the development and execution of the British Cycling commercial strategy, securing commercial partnerships, promoting the development of our membership offer and maximising opportunities from major cycling events.

Prior to joining British Cycling, Darren worked in various commercial leadership roles at leading sporting organisations including Manchester United, IMG Golf, Harlequins FC, London Irish FC and sports marketing agency Two Circles.

@@@

edit - here - The Irish Sun maybe

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/9544739/bri ... rtnership/
its even appeared on CNN, its crazy how viral its gone, I guess if they start advertising for a new commercial director soon that will be the answer, though they do have an advert for a marketing manager at the moment :)

but I hadnt realised the board setup at BC had changed so much lately, Frank Slevin was the guy in charge when House of Fraser crashed, and they seemed to have hired a bunch of marketeers for other positions on the board, none of whom clearly saw the peril of making a deal such as this or if they did, didnt care.

the thing is Shell arent daft enough to sign up to a deal that BC can renege on instantly and uturn, and were probably fully expecting a backlash of somekind as it goes with the territory in anything they announce they are involved with now, whilst BC will be praying instead its just a reaction in the moment that will blow over in time, which btw I think wont because I do think its going to cause more problems for BC down the line, like I mean as any other cycling company having seen the reaction would you go anywhere near now with BC for a deal on kit or bikes or offering deals for the members. ?

Ive seen people claiming it might even impact the grants funding from Sport England/UK Sport, hopefully now the season has finished there are a bunch of bored cycling journalists who fancy doing some digging and getting an inside line on how on earth BC came to the decision this was the right sponsor for them.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

A good match?

Isn't the world of professional cycling/racing extremely energy hungry and not very (for want of a better word) green.