British Cycling partners with Shell

Sweep

Re: British Cycling partners with Shell

Post by Sweep »

Philip Benstead wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 12:53pm I have been told British Cycling HQ in Manchester has Just Stop Oil protesters on its roof in protest about Shell. BC AGM was to take place there today, but was transfered to internet at last minute to prevent disruption

interesting - do you have any links for news reporting of this?

In my experience BBC tends to swerve many demos - maybe don't want to be seen to be promoting may be the most generous/naive interpretation of.
Sweep
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Sweep wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 1:12pm
Philip Benstead wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 12:53pm I have been told British Cycling HQ in Manchester has Just Stop Oil protesters on its roof in protest about Shell. BC AGM was to take place there today, but was transfered to internet at last minute to prevent disruption

In my experience BBC tends to swerve many demos - maybe don't want to be seen to be promoting may be the most generous/naive interpretation of.

No.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Philip Benstead wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 1:17pm

No.
quick search of Google News found nothing.
Sweep
Philip Benstead

Sign of times, posted on a local petrol garage.
20221120_144055~2.jpg
Mike Shrews

Post by Mike Shrews »

It wasn’t a Just Stop Oil protest but from many people- mainly cyclists who are angry about British Cycling’s decision to agree to Shell sponsorship.
As well as Shell’s continued oil and gas extraction being against BCs aims to replace driving with cycling and walking, Shell have been involved in killings in Nigeria in the 80s http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8090493.stm.
It was a terrible decision to allow Shell to use BC to white and green wash them.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Philip Benstead wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 7:23pm Sign of times, posted on a local petrol garage. 20221120_144055~2.jpg
Will look out for it posted on British Cycling riders.
Go Well indeed.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Mike Shrews wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 8:17pm It wasn’t a Just Stop Oil protest but from many people- mainly cyclists who are angry about British Cycling’s decision to agree to Shell sponsorship.
As well as Shell’s continued oil and gas extraction being against BCs aims to replace driving with cycling and walking, Shell have been involved in killings in Nigeria in the 80s http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8090493.stm.
It was a terrible decision to allow Shell to use BC to white and green wash them.
quite - and note the weasel words on Shell settling.
Hang your heads/wheels in shame British Cycling.
Wouldn't be surprised to see demos at British Cycling appearances - are they then going to wheel in Shell's toxic lawyers with threats to assets of protestors/threats to jail them?
Would only make things worse for them surely.
So protestors now maybe more likely perhaps to target British Cycling than Shell petrol stations.
Shell really are getting their moneysworth from the deal.
British Cycling maybe less so.
Sweep
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Does that notice have anything to do with BC? I don't think so. It's aimed at anyone, such as Just Stop Oil protesters, who might be intending to do any of those things on a Shell station.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 21 Nov 2022, 10:02am Does that notice have anything to do with BC? I don't think so. It's aimed at anyone, such as Just Stop Oil protesters, who might be intending to do any of those things on a Shell station.
well spotted
that was my point.
The protesters are flexible and clever.
Way more flexible even than Shells bent bullying lawyers.
So I think it possible, and entirely reasonable, that they may target organisations pairing with Shell/crawling up their fundament/taking the shell dollar.
And these organisations will find it harder to deploy the bullying tactics of Shell without further trashing their reputations (though admiteddly some like British Cycling maybe had not much reputation to lose, even if they sold it cheap).
I envisage a targetting of Shell fanboys and girls.
There are many many possibilities there.
Sweep
awavey

Post by awavey »

I attend the agm on line as guest, it was short meeting with some tech delays There was point made about not enough volunteers coming forward to organise events. Membership has plateaued.

Did anybody else here attend?
forgot it was on, much of the expected heat has gone since the CEO stood down anyway (which I suspect was kind of the point of that move), so it was inevitably going to become a rather boring procedural AGM as these things tend to be, I presume theyll publish the minutes at least.
awavey

Post by awavey »

Sweep wrote: 21 Nov 2022, 11:09am And these organisations will find it harder to deploy the bullying tactics of Shell without further trashing their reputations (though admiteddly some like British Cycling maybe had not much reputation to lose, even if they sold it cheap).
I envisage a targetting of Shell fanboys and girls.
There are many many possibilities there.

are there any Shell fanboys and girls around ? I suspect protests aimed at riders will be very misguided, though have always expected it wouldnt be long before these protestors started turning up at BC sanctioned events, which was always the concern with such a deal that the board should have been fully aware of.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Bringing Bernard Hinault back to racing.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

awavey wrote: 21 Nov 2022, 12:04pm

are there any Shell fanboys and girls around ?
I think there are in effect.
Folks whose medal-fuelled chant is "what's it matter as long as we trash the "opposition"? - ie win win win who cares about anything else. Anyone who objects is a wimp.

Plus others more generally - Shell runs a very/extremely sophisticated PR campaign.
Which suckers many in - especially with flashing shiny money.
May post some of their bullshit PR.
Anyone care to say what the annual Shell PR budget is?
People are easily bought I fear.

In my view, unless you haven't quessed, protests aimed at anyone flying the Shell logo are more than justified.
Sweep
Philip Benstead

Sweep wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 1:22pm
Philip Benstead wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 1:17pm

No.
quick search of Google News found nothing.
Update

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/exti ... shell-deal