Narbonne to Roscoff: The Cheese Tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MrsHJ

Re: Narbonne to Roscoff: The Cheese Tour

Post by MrsHJ »

Sounds good- I also have fond memories of SJPdP. The Roger Lapebie is very nice but not spectacular- there is the possibility of wine tasting if you get the timing right I think (not on a bank holiday Sunday when I was there). I hope the weather might be better than you think- it’s tending to morning clear skies, heating up and then a risk of thunder late afternoon/early evening style summer weather in Bordeaux. Obviously St Jean PdP is mountain influence so I don’t know what they’re getting atm.

I’m going to be hot pretty much to Roscoff. It’s at least mid twenties into the middle of Brittany. I do prefer a little cooler but only because I didn’t plan the need for air con- I’m regretting not camping but the first 2/3 days were a bit wet and fairly windy. I started on Sunday 21 and it heated up on Friday and happily my b and b had a pool that night.

Near to Bordeaux I stayed at a place in Les Esseintes about 15 km from Sauveterre-de-Guyenne (my original booking was cancelled a week before I got there) called Les Quatre Saisons- very nice and a lot fancier than I’d normally go for- recommended if it’s in budget. Next night was the hotel de la gare in Latresne which was more my pace (and well cared for if a lot less flash- the son helped me find a bolt to stop my rack rattling)- there is a mini market there at a petrol station open long hours and it’s next to the Roger Lapebie.
Attachments
IMG_7307.jpeg
IMG_7310.jpeg
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Although the ferry was closed there were other interesting options.
Attachments
IMG_7375.jpeg
Last edited by MrsHJ on 3 Jun 2023, 5:55am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Aren't they fun?

: - )

Jonathan
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Looks like you're having a good time MrsHJ. The sunny-start/rainy-afternoon weather is similar to how things were when I was riding the Garonne last year. Love the pic of the trees next to the curving canal, it's such a pretty place to cycle!
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom »

MrsHJ wrote: 31 May 2023, 4:04pm Although the ferry was closed there was other interesting options.
We weren't as lucky a month ago. We toured in the area (Bordeaux-Oléron-Angoulême via Rochefort) and the Pont transbordeur which I had planned to use to cross the Charente was closed for maintenance work.
We crossed with the small ferry at Soubise instead.
"A cycle tourist doesn't have a track record. Just memories". Jean Taboureau
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Very cool- it was closed when I was there- weekends only I think outside of the holidays.
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom »

MrsHJ wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 1:36pm Very cool- it was closed when I was there- weekends only I think outside of the holidays.
I was there during the last week of the spring holidays. I too find your picture of the pont transbordeur (what is it called in English?) very cool. I will definitely be back there some day.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

“Transporter”

Jonathan
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

There were diversion signs for cyclists and a warning that the viaduct was closed (not sure where that was) and the 2 women I asked said to go for the transporter bridge (which I think I was already heading for using cycle.travel) but they called it a different name which sounded to me like “chilley”.

As usual everyone I meet is very nice and they always want to know what route I’m doing.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

MrsHJ wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 5:39pm... but they called it a different name which sounded to me like “chilley”.
"Un espace d'exposition dédié à l'histoire du géant d'acier vous est présentée à la Maison du Transbordeur, côté Échillais. La visite virtuelle "Rêve de Hauteur" vous invite à découvrir le Pont d'en haut."

So I'd guess that you heard "Échillais".

Jonathan
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom »

MrsHJ wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 5:39pm There were diversion signs for cyclists and a warning that the viaduct was closed (not sure where that was) and the 2 women I asked said to go for the transporter bridge (which I think I was already heading for using cycle.travel) but they called it a different name which sounded to me like “chilley”.

As usual everyone I meet is very nice and they always want to know what route I’m doing.
I'd say the viaduc is the suspension bridge in Tonnay-Charente.
It's located here:
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 7:53pm
MrsHJ wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 5:39pm... but they called it a different name which sounded to me like “chilley”.
"Un espace d'exposition dédié à l'histoire du géant d'acier vous est présentée à la Maison du Transbordeur, côté Échillais. La visite virtuelle "Rêve de Hauteur" vous invite à découvrir le Pont d'en haut."

Jonathan
My French isn’t amazing but I think it was a nickname. I could be wrong though. I think you are right on the viaduct Angstrom- presumably there’s a cycle lane on it- doesn’t look like a very appealing choice though compared to the ferry or transporter.
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom »

MrsHJ wrote: 3 Jun 2023, 5:52am I think you are right on the viaduct Angstrom- presumably there’s a cycle lane on it- doesn’t look like a very appealing choice though compared to the ferry or transporter.
The bridge is closed to trafic and may be used by pedestrians and cyclists only. I think it is a good way to cross the river in this area, going up on the Flow Vélo (V92) to Saintes, as we were doing. But I just followed the signs and the route calculated by CT. In hindsight, I would have crossed on the bridge. I think there is a good view from it and I find it interesting.
This suspended bridge was built in 1842, making it one of the oldest suspension bridges still in use nowadays in Europe. Not as appealing as the transporter bridge, but on par with the small ferry at Soubise, IMO.
More on the history of this bridge here.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

MrsHJ wrote: 3 Jun 2023, 5:52am
Jdsk wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 7:53pm

My French isn’t amazing but I think it was a nickname. I could be wrong though.
Échillais is the commune to the south of the transporter.

Côté Échillais means the Échillais bank or side of the river.

Jonathan
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom »

@MrsHJ (and others):
You've been on my Blog before and seemed to enjoy reading it.
I am adding the story and many photos of my last trip in the area you are now (Bordaeux- Oléron - Angoulême) on my blog just now.
I've tested Gtranslate on my posts and it does an amazingly good job at it (of course not perfect, but plenty good to understand, I think).
When you have time (it's long). :roll: