Christina Mackenzie's crash

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Cowsham

Re: Christina Mackenzie's crash

Post by Cowsham »

Barrowman wrote: 2 Nov 2022, 10:00am Shame for the young lady . I am sure we all wish her well.
I have had the experience of being pushed off the road (yes physical cont act) by a large horse trailer that was wider than the towing vehicle ,( which only just missed me ) I think the tapered trailer front saved me from a much worse fate
Happened to my granny when she was very young -- her and the bicycle got trapped between a tractor and it's trailer cos the trailer being wider than the tractor on a close pass. She survived without too many injuries probably due to the fact she was so young.

Love this -"yes physical cont act" -- brilliant -- will remember to use this one at some point in future. When a cont makes physical contact it's a cont - act! :lol:
I am here. Where are you?
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

I think it's rather telling that you don't mention worrying about an untrained driver - let's say in a similar or heavier vehicle - coming up behind you while in your car.

I hope you would make it as easy as possible for that driver not to be inconvenienced.
Do you know why there are weight categories in contact sports? It is because it is well know to most people that a smaller bloke is no match for a bigger bloke. Likewise, if I am in a car, I am fairly matched with another car, but on a bike, I am no match for a car!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Watching the news and saw this

One in three drivers think cyclists should be banned from public roads

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/one- ... blic-roads

I'm not surprised by this cos some cyclists are wile ignorant which causes a stigma for the rest of us.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Watched that tv program there -- didn't know there's 2 cyclists killed per week in the uk but looks like a big majority killed in London ... but who'd want to cycle in London ? I suppose if you're trying to get to work and can't afford a car but it's a bloody risky place ( not to mention smelly old dump of a place ) to be on a bike -- cycle ways not lanes should be made. There needs to be proper separation between cars and bikes for more people to feel it's a safe activity to be at.
Last edited by Cowsham on 2 Nov 2022, 9:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Cowsham wrote: 2 Nov 2022, 8:16pm Watching the news and saw this

I'm not surprised by this cos some cyclists are wile ignorant which causes a stigma for the rest of us.
far more than one in three drivers also take little notice of speeding laws. It is they who need to be banned from public spaces
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Pebble wrote: 2 Nov 2022, 9:04pm

far more than one in three drivers also take little notice of speeding laws. It is they who need to be banned from public spaces
Agreed but it cuts both ways.
I was in London about 3 years ago and found you need to watch out for cyclists speeding too -- also nearly got run over by a cyclist who had no regard for the red light or the green man telling me it was safe to cross.
I'd only be in London if absolutely necessary I avoid the place like the plague.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Tiggertoo wrote: 2 Nov 2022, 7:00pm
I think it's rather telling that you don't mention worrying about an untrained driver - let's say in a similar or heavier vehicle - coming up behind you while in your car.

I hope you would make it as easy as possible for that driver not to be inconvenienced.
Do you know why there are weight categories in contact sports? It is because it is well know to most people that a smaller bloke is no match for a bigger bloke. Likewise, if I am in a car, I am fairly matched with another car, but on a bike, I am no match for a car!
An admirable philosphy - might is right! So ... DO you give way to larger or faster vehicles behind you?
Tiggertoo wrote: 2 Nov 2022, 7:00pm
comment moderated
Glad to help :- )
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Barrowman wrote: 2 Nov 2022, 10:00am Shame for the young lady . I am sure we all wish her well.
Indeed.

I am frankly saddened by the appaling - and yet all too predictable - comments by the victim-blamers (mostly commenting from a driver's perspective) on this thread.

Do they think Christina brought this on herself?? This thread has turned into a cess-pit, I regret posting on it now. :roll:

Well done Vorpal for making calm reasoned posts in response.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Do the 1 in 3 drivers who think cyclists should be banned form public roads cause a stigma for the rest of the drivers? How about drivers who speed? Or yell at cyclists? Do they cause a stigma?
Cowsham wrote: 2 Nov 2022, 9:04pm but who'd want to cycle in London ? I suppose if you're trying to get to work and can't afford a car but it's a bloody risky place ( not to mention smelly old dump of a place ) to be on a bike -- cycle ways not lanes should be made. There needs to be proper separation between cars and bikes for more people to feel it's a safe activity to be at.
Most people who cycle in London do so because it's faster
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Vorpal wrote: 3 Nov 2022, 8:20am
Do the 1 in 3 drivers who think cyclists should be banned form public roads cause a stigma for the rest of the drivers? How about drivers who speed? Or yell at cyclists? Do they cause a stigma?
Yes they do cos I treat all drivers as stupid angry monkeys. Sadly we don't live in your Utopian world where bad bully drivers are stopped before anything bad happens - - - - meanwhile on planet earth the / stupid / angry monkeys are still behind the wheel.
Vorpal wrote: 3 Nov 2022, 8:20am Most people who cycle in London do so because it's faster
Yes it's faster especially when they shoot through pedestrian crossings without any regard for the traffic lights. As long as there's no cars to knock them down it doesn't matter about pedestrians.

Speaking from experience of being a pedestrian in London.

The filtering between cars and buses with just enough room for the drop bars even on that video was frightening and to my mind, completely stupid. Cyclists need to be aware the monkeys are all around them.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Does that mean that 2/3 rds of drivers think cyclist SHOULD be on the road?
The comment "One in three drivers think cyclists should be banned from public roads" is pointless and meaningless without knowing what question was asked.
eg Question could have been "Do you think cyclists should be banned from the roads?" or it could have been " cyclists may appear to be inconvenient, but they reduce traffic in busy towns, do you think cyclists should be encouraged?"
I suspect the question was never asked, or the numbers asked were statistically not representative of the population. If the question was asked, it was probably the former, rather than the latter question.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The questions and answers:
https://yonderconsulting.com/wp-content ... Tables.pdf

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

fastpedaller wrote: 3 Nov 2022, 10:49am

Does that mean that 2/3 rds of drivers think cyclist SHOULD be on the road?
The comment "One in three drivers think cyclists should be banned from public roads" is pointless and meaningless without knowing what question was asked.
eg Question could have been "Do you think cyclists should be banned from the roads?" or it could have been " cyclists may appear to be inconvenient, but they reduce traffic in busy towns, do you think cyclists should be encouraged?"
I suspect the question was never asked, or the numbers asked were statistically not representative of the population. If the question was asked, it was probably the former, rather than the latter question.
Just quoting a BBC headline which isn't beyond belief for a change.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Cowsham - I wasn't being critical of your post in any way.
Those questions seem (IMHO) somewhat 'loaded' to generate a 'desired answerr'
eg Do you think too much has been spent on cycle infrastructure. Instead of "What are your feelings on provision of cycling infrastructure"
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

fastpedaller wrote: 3 Nov 2022, 1:58pm Cowsham - I wasn't being critical of your post in any way.
Those questions seem (IMHO) somewhat 'loaded' to generate a 'desired answerr'
eg Do you think too much has been spent on cycle infrastructure. Instead of "What are your feelings on provision of cycling infrastructure"
I think you are right about the loaded questions then deliberately showing really dangerous cycling and cycling between cars, buses etc -- at one point he cycled on the main road beside the green cycle lane -- probably to provoke reactions of viewers and as to the host claiming to be a typical MAMIL I'm not even sure that's the truth either.

On the other hand as a car driver I have seen two cyclists riding two abreast having a good old natter while wobbling out over the white line deliberately holding up traffic, even looking back and scoffing at the drivers. I just sat behind like a good boy waiting cos I know they are entitled to do that now. Other drivers behind me were getting very frustrated. After about two miles of this the wobbling wads of Lycra turned left at the next junction. I thought that behaviour doesn't endear cyclists to other road users.

Other road users are not interested in what set of circumstances made them behave like that, all they know is there are a couple of cyclists deliberately holding up traffic and laughing at the queue of cars.

You don't even need any kind of test or pay any money to go out on the road on your push vehicle and behave like a ....

All this confrontation with fault on both sides will only end up with everyone needing dashcams and action cameras to protect themselves against claims. A little good manners on both sides would go a long way.

Gives one a sense of what is going on in the mind of the car driver making me wonder if this affect how I'm treated on the road next time I'm out on my bike riding sensibly?