Bella Build

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

Re: Bella Build

Post by UpWrong »

nobrakes wrote: 24 Dec 2022, 11:02pm I did that to mine with a Terracycle idler, although I kept the return idler above the front wheel too.

https://scottishborderscyclist.wordpres ... this-time/

I have since put the power side tube back on to stop contact with the tyre but it worked fine without too.
Interesting. I think this would be easier on the Paseo than on the Fuego. My sense is that the friction comes from the lateral deflection of the return chain line by the idler. I'd retain the chain tubes but re-route the return line so that it stays below the power line rather than it crossing the power line both vertically and horizontally as it does now.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I've decided to go with 70mm drum brakes. I have a front wheel ready to go and have ordered a drum braked wheel build for the rear. Why drum brakes? Mainly because they don't have the disadvantages of V-brakes, cable discs and hydraulic discs. Performance should be acceptable in a 20" front and a 26" rear. A couple of web sites are flagging the SA X-RDC (rear drum with cassette freehub) as discontinued, which would be a shame.

Me being me, I've gone with light single-wall rims for both and double butted spokes on the rear. I like to keep rotational weight to a minimum. No other progress to date. Work still dominates my time but I'm feeling motivated now to start the build :)
Campag

Post by Campag »

I've used that combination - Sturmey drum brakes, recumbent with 20" / 26" wheels. Works well and easy to adjust. If you haven't already sorted them, you will need a couple of brackets for the brake reaction arms. Easily available from, for example, St John Street cycles or Ebay.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Campag wrote: 7 Jan 2023, 8:05pm I've used that combination - Sturmey drum brakes, recumbent with 20" / 26" wheels. Works well and easy to adjust. If you haven't already sorted them, you will need a couple of brackets for the brake reaction arms. Easily available from, for example, St John Street cycles or Ebay.
Sounds promising. It's not entirely clear what comes with the rear hub and what extra bits are needed. Definitely will neeed a clip for the reaction arm at the front. SJS and PracticalCycles seem to be the best sources.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

The rear wheel arrived promptly from SJS. It appears to have all the bits needed to install it, including a 22.2mm chainstay brake arm clip. I expect I'll need to get a tandem cable and cable housing to reach the acutator arm. The whole wheel felt really light. It's put away now, I'll weigh it next time I get it out.

I shall need some customised solution for attaching the front reaction arm because the titanium fork legs are a stonking 30mm diameter. I have a couple of ideas. I want a fairly quick release solution to enable easy "folding" of the Bella to get it in the car.
Campag

Post by Campag »

Might be worth looking at the cable stay clips for Sturmey Archer hub gears, available in a variety of diameters and can be adapted to work as reaction clips.