UK Politics

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
djnotts

Re: Britannia Un-Trussed - The Sunak Sojourn

Post by djnotts »

"There will be a general election soon. I expect that the way that people vote will make a big difference to my country."

Assuming you mean a change for the better, I wish I could share your optimism. I am not convinced that Tories will lose, especially because Labour is now so far to the right that I cannot be the only person who can no longer vote for them after over 50 years of never voting any other way.
Follows that should Labour win, no meaningful change of policy. No nationalisation of monopolistic utilities. No maximum wage. No wealth tax. No nuthin.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

djnotts wrote: 6 Apr 2023, 9:45am "There will be a general election soon. I expect that the way that people vote will make a big difference to my country."

Assuming you mean a change for the better, I wish I could share your optimism. I am not convinced that Tories will lose, especially because Labour is now so far to the right that I cannot be the only person who can no longer vote for them after over 50 years of never voting any other way.
Follows that should Labour win, no meaningful change of policy. No nationalisation of monopolistic utilities. No maximum wage. No wealth tax. No nuthin.
I'm of the opinion that I'm voting for the lesser of two evils,my hope is that the one I vote for will begin a change,but I suffer no illusion that it'll be the sweeping change that's needed to make this country a far far better place to live.
However nothing can be worse than the present neo fascists that currently hold the reins of power so a vote for Labour it'll be as they're the only viable option,and I cannot bring myself not to vote however impotent I feel my vote is in bringing about the real change needed,voting is the only shred of power I have left to use against the evil that is the Tory party.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote: 6 Apr 2023, 9:57am
djnotts wrote: 6 Apr 2023, 9:45am "There will be a general election soon. I expect that the way that people vote will make a big difference to my country."

I'm of the opinion that I'm voting for the lesser of two evils,my hope is that the one I vote for will begin a change,but I suffer no illusion that it'll be the sweeping change that's needed to make this country a far far better place to live.
However nothing can be worse than the present neo fascists that currently hold the reins of power so a vote for Labour it'll be as they're the only viable option,and I cannot bring myself not to vote however impotent I feel my vote is in bringing about the real change needed,voting is the only shred of power I have left to use against the evil that is the Tory party.
Yes. Voting in a way that decreases the chance of another Conservative government is better than not. No grander claim than that. (Where I live that happens not to be by voting Labour.)

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 6 Apr 2023, 11:39am Yes. Voting in a way that decreases the chance of another Conservative government is better than not. No grander claim than that. (Where I live that happens not to be by voting Labour.)

Jonathan
Understood.
It'll be Labour for me as any other vote would be a wasted one,and not voting would be worse still.
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I've been away for a bit but what happened about the Raab bullying inquiry? I assume he was cleared as the inquiry was started ages ago and he's still in-post?

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

No decision yet. No date for decision.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 6 Apr 2023, 12:00pm No decision yet. No date for decision.

Jonathan
I thought it started back in Nov 2022! Still no conclusion - rather beggars belief. One must wonder why it's taking so long to just check-up on allegations from some employees who have volunteered their experiences ...

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 6 Nov 2022, 9:51am Big call for Sunak: does he stop or "review" the The Retained EU Law (Revocation and Reform) Bill?
Yes, but very quietly:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... of-eu-laws

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Revealed: The Tories are still receiving funds from Russia-linked donors":
https://goodlawproject.org/revealed-the ... esp2110423

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 11 Apr 2023, 1:50pm "Revealed: The Tories are still receiving funds from Russia-linked donors":
https://goodlawproject.org/revealed-the ... esp2110423

Jonathan
Absolutely nothing would surprise me as to where the Tory party receives it's funding.
It's a disgusting and disgraceful organisation that needs exposing for what it is,a shameless organ for the uber rich to invest in and get looked after in return.
W H Auden
Debs

Post by Debs »

Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I've recently returned from a few months backpacking round India and it was surprising the large number of people (Indians) who raised that the UK now has an "Indian" PM. They all seemed to know our PM was "Indian" but invariably went on to ask how good a job he was doing.

Everybody knew about Sunak but none had any idea who Suella Braverman is (and however bad a job she's doing she does hold a pretty senior position in the UK Government).

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 12.57.21.png
https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and ... missioner/

"Rishi Sunak is under parliamentary investigation into whether he failed to properly declare an interest.":
https://twitter.com/TLDRNewsUK/status/1 ... 6156612608

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/apr/18/sunaks-maths-to-18-plan-misguided-says-man-asked-to-promote-it wrote:Sunak’s maths to 18 plan ‘misguided’, says man asked to promote it
Film-maker asked by No 10 to be ‘maths champion’ says ‘nobody thought to ask me whether I support this policy’

Downing Street has reportedly ditched a campaign to promote Rishi Sunak’s “maths to 18” policy after officials obtained only one case study – a film-maker who believes the proposal to be “misguided” and “tone deaf”.
Oh dear. Another ill-thought out plan.

Sunak's maths champion sounds like a far more sensible person that Sunak. Maths champion says "Instead of imposing a blanket requirement that many will resent, schools should focus on helping students discover who they are and then provide the necessary support and resources for them to become the best version of that person."

How do we get more capable people to govern?

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 12:56pm Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 12.57.21.png
https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and ... missioner/

"Rishi Sunak is under parliamentary investigation into whether he failed to properly declare an interest.":
https://twitter.com/TLDRNewsUK/status/1 ... 6156612608
"Rishi Sunak’s wife’s stake in childcare firm not mentioned in six ministerial registers":
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -registers

Jonathan