UK Politics

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: UK Politics

Post by reohn2 »

I've just learned that Peter Bone,booted out of parliament for sex offences,was erroneously paid £5,600 severance pay for being a minister in the disasterous Truss government.Apparently he shouldn't have recieved the money because he was over 65.
He's now refusing to pay the money back on grounds of ageism.He's a multimillionaire apparently but it's the principle that counts....... .....yeah right,he'd know all there is to know about principals....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 3:14pm
thirdcrank wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 1:57pm
Jdsk wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 11:47am I don't understand this point. It reads to me that Dodds thinks that Benton is bang to rights, as shown by the video.
I was trying to say that the more this is dragged out, the greater the damage to the government. I cannot see any electoral benefit to the (Labour) opposition in a prompt resolution of this.
Benton has resigned before the results of the recall petition are known.
Betting odds are for a Labour gain.

And presumably the Conservatives will be squeezed by the not-in-any-way-far-right Reform UK.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Two ministers have resigned. Interesting timing.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 7:03pm
Jdsk wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 3:14pm
thirdcrank wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 1:57pm I was trying to say that the more this is dragged out, the greater the damage to the government. I cannot see any electoral benefit to the (Labour) opposition in a prompt resolution of this.
Benton has resigned before the results of the recall petition are known.
Betting odds are for a Labour gain.

And presumably the Conservatives will be squeezed by the not-in-any-way-far-right Reform UK.
2 May, same as local elections. Possibly in order to avoid another bad news day.

Jonathan
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

All you need to know......again.

"Rishi Sunak is facing criticism after a major Conservative Party donor was given a knighthood.

Businessman Mohamed Mansour, a senior treasurer for the party, has been honoured for his business, charity and political service.

Last year he gave £5m, at the time the party's biggest donation since 2001." (BBC News)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

djnotts wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 8:05am All you need to know......again.

"Rishi Sunak is facing criticism after a major Conservative Party donor was given a knighthood.

Businessman Mohamed Mansour, a senior treasurer for the party, has been honoured for his business, charity and political service.

Last year he gave £5m, at the time the party's biggest donation since 2001." (BBC News)
Thay look after their own,a shame they don't look after the country in the same way......
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Re: Conservative Changes to Non-Dom Taxation System
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/31/tory-plans-to-abolish-non-dom-status-riddled-with-loopholes-labour-says wrote:...Analysis by the party found that the policy, announced by Jeremy Hunt in this month’s budget, could theoretically see Rishi Sunak’s family benefit from tax savings of nearly £250m ...
Anybody surprised?

Ian
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

No.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

With the forthcoming election in mind what beneficial and fairer policies do folk expect from the incoming labour government?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
toontra

Post by toontra »

al_yrpal wrote: 2 Apr 2024, 3:45pm With the forthcoming election in mind what beneficial and fairer policies do folk expect from the incoming labour government?

Al
Sadly - not much. Their inheritance from the last 14 years will be dire, and Starmer/Reeves seem extremely reluctant to do anything radical. Having said that, they couldn't possibly do worse than the Tories.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

toontra wrote: 2 Apr 2024, 4:23pm
al_yrpal wrote: 2 Apr 2024, 3:45pm With the forthcoming election in mind what beneficial and fairer policies do folk expect from the incoming labour government?

Al
Sadly - not much. Their inheritance from the last 14 years will be dire, and Starmer/Reeves seem extremely reluctant to do anything radical. Having said that, they couldn't possibly do worse than the Tories.
Just heard McFadden avoid the question when asked if Labour would stop the UK selling arms to Israel after yesterday's killing of UK aid workers.
I've also just found out that there are 73 Labour MPs who belong to the "Friends of Israel" organisation,go figure.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

How I wish this man,or someone with similar spherics,were leading the Labour party today,heaven knows it needs it:- https://youtu.be/vxazKvlzqT8?si=qDpopX4LkpPfNodo
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The first deadline for the Minister of State for Veterans’ Affairs to provide a witness statement to the Independent Inquiry relating to Afghanistan expired at 1600 today:
https://iiaweb-prod.s3.eu-west-2.amazon ... nnex-A.pdf

Jonathan
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

toontra wrote: 2 Apr 2024, 4:23pm

Al
I wonder what Laura Trott's message to her labour successor will be? I suggest "Dear Chief Secretary, I'm afraid there is no money. Kind regards – and good luck!" might be recycled. What do you think? :lol: