UK Politics

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Nearholmer

UK Politics

Post by Nearholmer »

So, what do we expect?
Last edited by Nearholmer on 6 Nov 2023, 2:26pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carlton green

Re: Brittania Un-Trussed - The Rishi Regime

Post by Carlton green »

Something much more towards the middle ground than Truss and with some reasoned grounding in economics. It would be interesting to read over what he said at the hustings over the Summer. I suspect that he’ll do a reasonable job until Starmer is elected.

Here’s a start: https://www.itv.com/news/2022-07-20/all ... e-to-be-pm
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Osbornomics with Instagram.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sod it all.

Have a general election. The sooner the better.
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Don't let his boyish good looks make you forget he's a fairly straightforward right-wing neoliberal who's main aim in life is to asset strip the country and grab a share of the profits. He and his family have already made a pretty good start... He is likely to continue where Osbourne left off, ie make ordinary people pay for the bankers' worst excesses.
https://members.parliament.uk/member/4483/voting
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Nearholmer wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 2:14pm So, what do we expect?
Behaviour that is less corrupt and less corrupting than that of Johnson. A very low bar.

Continuation of underfunding of public services as a matter of policy.

The possibility of policies that make a small step towards not damaging the planet as much as some other policies could.

No significant constitutional reform,

A Labour government at the next general election.

Jonathan
slowster

Post by slowster »

I think possibly the most important question is whether what has happened under the recent successive Tory governments will result in Labour making a decision to include electoral reform in its next manifesto. In other words, whether Labour will sacrifice the potential under 'first past the post' to win overwhelming control of Parliament and Government when the pendulum occasionally swings in its favour, in return for preventing hard right Tory governments gaining power again. That might also convince the scottish electorate not to vote for independence.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I expect that at some stage not too far in the future, we’ll get the modern version of the “blood, toil, sweat, and tears” speech, leavened with faux-empathy, when we are all told just how cr@p the financial position is, and that we will have to further tighten our belts for the foreseeable, in order to approach some ever-receding sunlit upland.

Quite how he will pull that off, given that (a) he was in charge of the money until a little while ago, and (b) everyone knows that he is personally well insulated from it all, I don’t know. Maybe it’s one to divide into two parts, delegating the gritty bit to his chancellor, and keeping all the sunlit uplands stuff for himself, while blaming all the troubles on the pandemic and the Russians throughout, unless he has the real courage to start opening the minds of his party to the harms done by brexit, as a preliminary to trying to do something different in relation to Europe.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 3:45pm Behaviour that is less corrupt and less corrupting than that of Johnson. A very low bar.
I'd suggest it may only be less outwardly and overtly corrupt.

Aside from that, he seems to have committed to the crackers Rwanda deportation policy and appears to be lining up for yet more austerity when public services are already falling apart.

The most depressing thing is that Starmer seems to be trying to match the tories in far too many areas. I can only hope that this is some ridiculous focus group driven facade at the marginal seats
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

slowster wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 4:11pm I think possibly the most important question is whether what has happened under the recent successive Tory governments will result in Labour making a decision to include electoral reform in its next manifesto. In other words, whether Labour will sacrifice the potential under 'first past the post' to win overwhelming control of Parliament and Government when the pendulum occasionally swings in its favour, in return for preventing hard right Tory governments gaining power again. That might also convince the scottish electorate not to vote for independence.
The leaderships response to the passing of the conference motion was to reject it so I wouldn't hold much hope. Best chance is the case of a hung parliament.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I hear "the Markets" are happy with Rishi Sunak as P.M.
This does not reassure me.

Apparently Rishi means Wise Man.
I think I will call him Sunak.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Nearholmer wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 2:14pm So, what do we expect?
I am literally beyond caring.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Stevek76 wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 5:00pm
slowster wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 4:11pm I think possibly the most important question is whether what has happened under the recent successive Tory governments will result in Labour making a decision to include electoral reform in its next manifesto. In other words, whether Labour will sacrifice the potential under 'first past the post' to win overwhelming control of Parliament and Government when the pendulum occasionally swings in its favour, in return for preventing hard right Tory governments gaining power again. That might also convince the scottish electorate not to vote for independence.
The leaderships response to the passing of the conference motion was to reject it so I wouldn't hold much hope. Best chance is the case of a hung parliament.
I’ve been saying for some time that PR was the way to go and am pleased that others have thought the same. I can’t see it being on a Labour Party manifesto - don’t gift to Tories anything contentious - but let’s see what time brings.

Some reporting references for the past motions would be good, please.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
PH

Post by PH »

Carlton green wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 5:34pm Some reporting references for the past motions would be good, please.
Last year a similar vote lost by something like 60/40, thwarted by the unions who have historically been opposed. The CLP's have long been in favour, around 80% voting for the motion both last year and this. The PLP are split, with a lot of MP's not commenting much, maybe not wishing to upset either their union or their CLP.
The reversal this year is due to a change of position from two big unions, there is some irony that the PR motion is decided by union bloc votes.
There is a campaigning group within the Labour party
https://www.makevotesmatter.org.uk/labour4pr

The left are historically against, the Labour Party is such a broad church there's a fear that PR will see it fragment. There's also the opinion that it will weaken constituency links, these are seen as important to the Labour Movement, particularly where there are historical working class communities. IMO people too often look at PR and think that the current patterns of voting will remain unchanged, I disagree, I think UK politics would evolve into something different to what we have today.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Capital A
Drives me MAD.

New PM, says capital A instead of a.
Why do these people say this? :evil:

"Build A better ............. "
Mick F. Cornwall