Re: Giving up alcohol

Post by Dingdong »

Bootiful!
Attachments
1.jpg
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Back to the drinking stuff - as the most difficult period of the year for we drunks nears, good luck in ignoring the temptation, presented by individuals ("go on, it's Christmas, one won't hurt") and the wall of commercial advertising.
Will, I hope, be my 20th consecutive sober Xmas. Must not treat that as cause for celebration!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

djnotts wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 9:47pm Back to the drinking stuff - as the most difficult period of the year for we drunks nears, good luck in ignoring the temptation, presented by individuals ("go on, it's Christmas, one won't hurt") and the wall of commercial advertising.
Will, I hope, be my 20th consecutive sober Xmas. Must not treat that as cause for celebration!
Best wishes with keeping up your resolve and shame on the selfish, inconsiderate "friends" who don't support you 110%.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

thirdcrank wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 10:02pm
djnotts wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 9:47pm
Best wishes with keeping up your resolve and shame on the selfish, inconsiderate "friends" who don't support you 110%.
To be fair, after so long family and friends simply accept that I don't drink, all know why. Newly met folk can be more "insistent". My new partner's large family took a little time to understand that "I don't drink" means that I never do. But they're there.
If asked why, I say "I am an alcoholic".
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Plus one for supporting anyone who wants to stay alcohol free - I wish you every success.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

simonineaston wrote: 11 Dec 2022, 8:30am Plus one for supporting anyone who wants to stay alcohol free - I wish you every success.
++1. Alcoholism can be beaten.
WEBH

Post by WEBH »

To be fair, after so long family and friends simply accept that I don't drink, all know why. Newly met folk can be more "insistent". My new partner's large family took a little time to understand that "I don't drink" means that I never do. But they're there.
If asked why, I say "I am an alcoholic".

Well done on 20 years. I'm on 64 days but pretty determined. Had full support of everyone - except one, who seemed to take it as a personal insult that I will no longer get drunk with him.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

@WEBH

"Well done on 20 years. I'm on 64 days but pretty determined. Had full support of everyone - except one, who seemed to take it as a personal insult that I will no longer get drunk with him."

Thank you - even after so long dry I appreciate the occasional pat-on-thr-back.
Everyone's experiences are different so I tend to refrain from advice, but with xmas etc I still try to avoid large gatherings of drinkers, known to me or not. I am OK with immediate friends and family having a drink, but prefer not to be with over-indulgers.
At 64 days the next few weeks WILL be hard going - one day at a time mantra will hold true. And think how good you'll feel next morning when you haven't had a drink.
If this sounds patronising it isn't meant that way and I apologise.
Good luck.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Dingdong wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 10:49am Weatherspoons I've always found safe and family oriented, is what they pride themselves upon. The food isn't exactly great, but it's always good meat and poultry on the plate.
Yep many are very family orientated, far more than many bars and pubs. And families won't tolerate any nonsense, no more than the management after the broad and family custom.
Thanks for the tip on the manchester one, didn't know it. Its past use kind of ironic as it's my understanding that once upon a time billiards and snooker were promoted as an alternative to the demon drink.
Sweep
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The food isn't exactly great
I do think their breakfasts are good - cheap, quick and fresh cooked, mostly. But... you're in an environment that's dominated by alcohol.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

djnotts wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 9:47pm Back to the drinking stuff - as the most difficult period of the year for we drunks nears, good luck in ignoring the temptation, presented by individuals ("go on, it's Christmas, one won't hurt") and the wall of commercial advertising.
21 years here. Decided to stop drinking for six months in May 2001. Someone told me: "You need never drink again." There and then with the support of others I threw in the towel. Best move I've ever made. Great to hear from you.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Eyebrox wrote: 30 Dec 2022, 10:34pm
21 years here. Decided to stop drinking for six months in May 2001. Someone told me: "You need never drink again." There and then with the support of others I threw in the towel. Best move I've ever made. Great to hear from you.
Well done us, then!
20th dry Xmas ticked off, 19 years, 8 months and 2 days today. Never thought I'd achieve that, nor that I would still be alive. Temptation lessens, but I do still have to tell myself "No".
Happy, sober, 2023 to all who want or need to quit.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

djnotts wrote: 31 Dec 2022, 8:31am
Eyebrox wrote: 30 Dec 2022, 10:34pm
Well done us, then!
20th dry Xmas ticked off, 19 years, 8 months and 2 days today. Never thought I'd achieve that, nor that I would still be alive. Temptation lessens, but I do still have to tell myself "No".
Happy, sober, 2023 to all who want or need to quit.
Yes well done. I'm what would be described as a moderate drinker although years ago I used to drink heavily.
For me drinking alcohol is a habit but I can take it or leave it.
Being truly addicted must be very difficult - you always have to be on guard and there are those who look on it as a challenge to get you off the wagon.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

djnotts wrote: 31 Dec 2022, 8:31amHappy, sober, 2023 to all who want or need to quit.
Well said.

Happy Christmas

Jonathan
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Initially there were big moans but in Qatar they showed one can skip the booze. Non alcoholic booze? any good
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage