Giving up alcohol

ossie

Re: Giving up alcohol

Post by ossie »

Dingdong wrote: 6 Nov 2022, 2:05pm
I generally like a good blow out when I'm off cycle camping (I normally wild camp), so when we get near our destination I'll Probably but a bottle of wine and some cans to take in. We once took two live lobsters on the train in a carrier bag, this was back in the day when you could get a good sized lobster for a tenner! Caused quite a sensation at the camp site when we boiled them up, but hey, your only live once! :lol:
I must admit I enjoy a beer or two and a few glasses of red at the end of the day on a campsite with a few like minded folk. I don't much enjoy the getting out the sleeping bag, unzipping the tent, p_ss procedure at 4am much anymore, more so if it happens more than once which often it does if I've overdone the ride hydration.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

I'm 72 and have enjoyed a drink for as long as I could, but as a pensioner on a budget, I really resent paying today's prices.
Here's an extract from a YouTube article;
According to figures from consultancy firm CGA, the average cost of a pint has risen from £2.30 in 2008 to £3.95 in 2022, though prices vary drastically across locations. Average prices rose by 15 pence between 2021 and 2022, up almost 4%, one of the largest year-on-year increases since 2008.

The average price of a pint at one unnamed pub in London hit an eye-watering £8.06 this year, the highest CGA has ever recorded, while the lowest nationally was a £1.79 average at a pub in Lancashire, in the northwest of England.
We are being regally conned! and I refuse to support it. Now, I might have a couple of pints and go home.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

When we first move to the area in 1985, the pub down the road from us - The Queen's Head - had the Courage Best at 89p a pint.

It's £3.90 now.
Mick F. Cornwall
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Is it Courage beer-thought they had been bought out by a conglomerate.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Courage had their brewery in Bristol, and then they were sold and the brand then brewed in Tadcaster. It's been moved/sold since then, but I'm not sure where it's made now, or by whom.

I tend not to drink Courage Best at the Queen's Head, but the excellent St Austell Tribute.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Courage had a massive brewery in Reading, its one of Readings 3 Bs. But then the brewery was converted to make horse pxxx, (Fosters) and finally it closed to become a Tesco distribution depot.

3 Bs.... http://www.berkshirehistory.com/article ... g_3Bs.html

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 13 Nov 2022, 8:41am, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I can remember being able to buy a pint of mild for two shillings - 10p in modern money.
Gave up the mild and switched to Pilsner lager.
Still on the lager but not in large quantities - I tried some "real ale" at the end of an audax (ended at a brewery ) a couple of years ago - I couldn't finish it.
No accounting for taste.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

ANTONISH wrote: 11 Nov 2022, 6:27pm I can remember being able to buy a pint of mild for two shillings - 10p in modern money.
In the 60s Betty Moss* of the Old Chain Pier in Newhaven used to sell something vile - maybe Vaux - at 1/9d the pint, and acknowledge the fact that it had to be that cheap of nobody would drink it. The place was still packed every night, supposedly. We students with our government grants** could afford McEwen's Export (2/4d) much closer to home.

The OCP has succumbed to modernity and become one of those ghastly cameo pubs you wouldn't be seen dead in.

* Betty Moss

** read it and weep
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Back in the late 90's I worked in Edinburgh for a few months, and was introduced to this back Street dive which was popular with artistes and stage crew from the Festival. It was literally the only place that would still be open at 5am. They closed between 6 and 7.30 am, presumably to restock and clean the place and when they opened again it would be 50p for a short, or a quid for a 'half and a half', ie half pint of beer and a whisky.

You wouldn't believe the queues first thing in the morning!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Courage had their brewery in Bristol
The building was recently adapted by a local brewer for use as a bar. From a strictly architectural pov, I think they did rather well.
photo of Bristol city centre
photo of Bristol city centre
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

simonineaston wrote: 13 Nov 2022, 8:37am
Courage had their brewery in Bristol
The building was recently adapted by a local brewer for use as a bar. From a strictly architectural pov, I think they did rather well.Left-Handed-Giant-Brewpub-Main-1600x550-c-center.jpg
That bridge is an eyesore tho!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

As this thread has developed into a 'non condemnation ' of alcohol per se, I'd like to celebrate some of the positive social and even architectural highlights of pubs and pub life. Here's the Sedge Lynn, Manchester. One of the most beautiful Victorian buildings in the city, rescued by the landlord, and currently putting on some very fine ales from £2.20 a pint, £7 with a meal,
Last edited by Dingdong on 14 Nov 2022, 7:51am, edited 1 time in total.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Stunning interiors also. Originally a renowned billiards hall, it's now a grade 2 listed masterpiece.
Attachments
JD-wetherspoon-sedge-lynn-chorlton-1536x1152.jpg
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

The interior, with vaulted ceiling:
Attachments
5.jpg
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Wetherspoons do rescue old buildings and do a decent enough job doing them up.I've always found them to be souless places.We have one locally and I rarely use it.Abbot Ale is £1.95 and it's £3.80 a mile up the road.I always choose the pub where it's £3.80 as it's a proper pub.